• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 Anti-spam Improvements

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I use customimgcaprcha too. It is indeed effective and I like the reporting it has.

But bear in mind the new solutions are also considered to be just as effective by the people who currently use them so I dont see anything to be disappointed about here.

Enguerran A

Since previous updates against spam, I don't use the mail validation anymore. I guess that with this improvement, I won't worry about spammers at all :eek:

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The forgot password process relies on email, though. That's the confirmation process that it is a valid user requesting the password reset. If their email address is wrong, and they don't remember their password, and they never receive the password reset request then they'll have no way of continuing to use your site.

Enguerran A

You know, I have seen so many weird things on the internet ... I remember a streaming website in which you have to tweet the CM in order to validate your account, and there is sooo many users on it. I like my board to be accessible without email confirm. I would pay to do so with twitter instead =D

Rudy

I see KeyCAPTCHA must have improved. I tried it when it first came along, and it was so "broken" that my registrations on a couple of my forums dropped substantially.

We use custom questions to weed out some automated spam. We manually approve all new memberships, checking IP and the StopForumSpam flag if needed. And all early posts are held in moderation. Very rare if spam would ever get through. These new features will give us more options for our spam-elimination recipe. (y)

Cambion

It's nice to see people finally accepting that XenForo is no longer lagging behind and is more "complete
The momentum XenForo has seen since version 1.2 is outstanding. Congratulations XenForo. You're doing it right :)
I am one of those people(and often most critical at that<3) but even i am quite impressed tbh :p

I especially like the IP checks against banned user. Very impressed by this tbh