• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 Anti-spam Improvements

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
That's good to know.

I think it's easy to get stuck on perceptions which, no matter how accurate they were at the time, may become outdated quite quickly.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but it does seem sometimes that people are still judging XF by what it was; not what it is now.

Rambro

Sorry if I missed this, but are we going to be able to have more than one anti-spam method active at a time? For instance, Key Captcha plus Solve Media or text? Or even one of the default plus an add-on?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Why would more than one be necessary? What difference would it make?

All it would do is annoy your visitors. Most people hate ONE captcha, let alone two, or more.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Sorry if I missed this, but are we going to be able to have more than one anti-spam method active at a time? For instance, Key Captcha plus Solve Media or text? Or even one of the default plus an add-on?
No, unless someone wants to write an add-on to do it.

rainmotorsports

Really liking this news. I am concerned on the core implementation versus FoolBotHoneyPot. Tenant's plugin has served us so well, literally no other anti spam is needed to keep spam down to a managable few a year versus dozens per hour. Very happy to see this method in the core and hope to see it spread and stay effective against the heavier automated spam coming from... wait is it bad i can't remember what the most popular one is... YAY lol.

Also nice to see a puzzle captcha natively supported. I like not having to use anything at all with FBHP, but having a core method is nice for the day we find we have to turn it back on.

rainmotorsports

Anything to make it harder for the army of Bangladeshi children/spam bots.
The honeypot should take care of most of your automated bots. Based on FBHP's logs most of the ones that get through are your little slaves doing it by hand. For that even a keycaptcha isn't going to help much for example. I am honestly excited for all the sites that don't run FBHP to have this available in the core. Though sites like yours might end up still trying to make it harder even when they "might" not have to.

Hoffi

Why would more than one be necessary? What difference would it make?

All it would do is annoy your visitors. Most people hate ONE captcha, let alone two, or more.
Really?
You should not (can't) enable more than one, but you can choose between defferent on your personal choice.

tyteen4a03

You know, I have seen so many weird things on the internet ... I remember a streaming website in which you have to tweet the CM in order to validate your account, and there is sooo many users on it. I like my board to be accessible without email confirm. I would pay to do so with twitter instead =D
Isn't logging into Twitter by XenForo enough?

(getting off-topic... PM?)

Anthony Parsons

How does the KeyCAPTCHA work on a mobile device?
Keycapthca works normally allowing you to put the pieces in, HOWEVER; you can actually buy the mobile version which uses a simply touch button that when dragged, it slides two pieces around. Basically, you slide the button until the two pieces line up in their slots, then release. I have the paid version for ease of use for my users... like $24 a year or something like that for touch screen ease of use.

Using my mobile, screenshot examples...

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg