Announcement/ HYS are too invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only XF had some kind of system where a notice could be placed in a prominent position alerting people to important news (obviously with the ability to dismiss for those who have read it, etc)... :p

Seriously, I don't get why the fantastic notice system is completely underused on here when I always thought it was pretty much built for this very purpose, making announcements and pointing people to important news/threads.

LOL, yeah.

Put the "Notices" on to the Homepage here at xenforo.com and ditch the Tweets........

It would be also more attractive (visually) to see something "moving" (aka a couple Notices moving around) then the boring Twitter-box. :cool:

:)

If only XF had some kind of system where a notice could be placed in a prominent position alerting people to important news (obviously with the ability to dismiss for those who have read it, etc)... :p

Seriously, I don't get why the fantastic notice system is completely underused on here when I always thought it was pretty much built for this very purpose, making announcements and pointing people to important news/threads.

Absolutely. This would be a really elegant solution.

Embed it in the forum home ?
Probably not a solution at all but you could be node specific in that you have an indicator. I probably would do this but it's thrown out there now and serves as something people wouldn't miss at first glance titling it whatever to users preference. :D

Code:
.nodeList .node_3 .nodeInfo.unread .nodeTitle:after {
    background-color: #8555cd;
    border-radius: 2px 2px 2px 2px;
    color: white;
    content: "HYS";
    font-size: 10px;
    margin-left: 5px;
    padding: 1px 5px;
}

hys-png.46615

DO you like this ?
important-thread-alerts-jpg.46617

It's funny that people in this thread seem to think it's not a good idea for an admin to want to alert people to important threads.
It's very important.

It's funny that people in this thread seem to think it's not a good idea for an admin to want to alert people to important threads.
It's very important.
That's not what's been said. What's been said is that there are ample ways to see important threads..

I see the point about having so many notifications that they lose their impact.
It could be a problem if an admin abuses the system. But it's not an inherent problem with the idea itself. That's like banning a Porsche because it can go 300 km/h.

I'd prefer announcements to be made via the notice system.
That would work.

Another idea:

Gritter notices @ Xenforo.com ... FTW !

My humble opinion on this matter: No,I don't think Announcements and Have You Seen topics are too invisible.
This would be too invisible:
xenforo.webp

It could be a problem if an admin abuses the system. But it's not an inherent problem with the idea itself. That's like banning a Porsche because it can go 300 km/h.

That would work.

Another idea:

Gritter notices @ Xenforo.com ... FTW !

Now something like notifications would be nice. Not that I need them personally or require to be alerted but notifications are a great way of alerting people that are having trouble in getting to content.

*edited*

How about an email for an alert for a conversation for a notice for a new thread?

You're trolling :-(

Whilst I don't agree that it's a massive issue if you make an effort to go looking for it, having something which pointed out important news/updates (such as a notice) would be beneficial.

Edit: Haha, literally just got the XF update mailshot when I hit post.

This just landed in my inbox. I've been thoroughly informed that I should check the announcements forums for information I need (HYS is nice, but not a need to know piece of information). Until Watch a Forum is implemented, I think current solutions work fine. I'd rather them focus on development.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
Make an effort to go looking for it?
By visiting the forum home page or the individual forums?

Seriously?

Ok, maybe put less emphasis on "effort" but there's still a point in there somewhere :p

The "What's New" page is great. You can easily get into the habit of using that as your "forum home" and never really going back to the forum list which becomes almost redundant.

I'd be interested in the landing page stats on here and I suspect they'd back up that argument.

Either way, the notice system is really nicely done and very powerful. It confuses me why you don't use it on here.

(I'm perfectly capable of spotting the announcements when they're made but that's probably because I lurk on here almost as much as you do but I can see the point if they're buried down within the What's New page for some people)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom