Announcement when accounts are security locked

woody

What options should I select for users to see an Announcement when accounts are security locked? Currently, User Criteria includes: Usergroups...unregistered and registered (which covers EVERY member account....unless they are in a state of security locked....so....)

I have played with a few settings, and EVERY combo I try fails to display it to members when their account is locked.

If you reset all accounts isn't that everyone?

@Brogan moved this post from another that specifically discussed Security Locked accounts and the inability to target those accounts using the Announcements system....but no answers.

This is a problem....users who have had their Accounts security locked CANNOT see Announcements.

It was moved from a suggestion thread.

Suggestion threads are not for support, asking/answering questions, etc.

To answer your question, there is no criterion for security locked accounts for notices.

It was posted in support of the Suggestion, that there is no ability to target Security Locked accounts within the Notices.

I reset all of my user passwords, and have been dealing with hundreds of outdated email addresses, and BECAUSE their account is Security Locked, they do not see the Notice pointing them to what needs to be done.

Frustrating.

SO, here is what happens when you initiate the following from your AdminCP:
Security lock: >> Locked: User must reset password

This action 100% locks the user from doing anything....so a link to an explanation thread in the Notices simply puts them into an endless annoying loop of uselessness. This means you need to actually include explanation text in the Notice.

First, the Notice only needs to be targeted to your Registered usergroup. A "locked" login is still considered logged in and Registered, even tho they can't do anything. Targeting the Registered usergroup also means than when they successfully respond to the auto-emailed Password Reset in their Inbox, that they can then read/click any included links in the Notice for additional information.

I used the following code in my Notice:
Code:
<p style="font-size:22px">PLEASE READ >>> <a href="https://forumname.com/threads/all-accounts-security-locked.123456/">Accounts Security Locked</a></p>

<p style="font-size:16px">You should automatically have a password reset in your inbox. <br/>If your email is correct, check your spam/junk folders, and whitelist forumname.com.<br/>If your email has changed, contact <a href="mailto:admin@forumname.com?subject=Security Lock">admin@forumname.com</a>  with your OLD email, your NEW email AND your username.</p>

And, in plain text:

PLEASE READ >>> Accounts Security Locked

You should automatically have a password reset in your inbox.
If your email is correct, check your spam/junk folders, and whitelist forumname.com.
If your email has changed, contact admin@forumname.com with your OLD email, your NEW email AND your username.

Hopefully this information assists someone from dealing with the $#!^show I've dealt with over the past couple days.

It would be REALLY nice to target this to JUST the Security Locked users, but that is sadly missing from Xenforo.

It would be REALLY nice to target this to JUST the Security Locked users, but that is sadly missing from Xenforo.
Agreed. Is there a suggestion for this?
I'm not security locking all registered user accounts, so don't want a notice for everyone, just those with security locked accounts.

I have played with a few settings, and EVERY combo I try fails to display it to members when their account is locked.
Maybe I am misunderstanding.

I have 7000 users with a security lock.

What I have done is to make the situation clear is:

(1) Edit the phrase:

your_account_is_currently_security_locked_need_to_reset_your_password​

I have worded this with more explanation and style it to be bigger. So this functions as a clear announcement to those users who are security locked and can basically display anything you might want in a notice

(2) I also have a notice with user criteria being the usergroup I created for everyone who has a security lock.

So (belt and braces) they get to see a a double notification explaining they must reset their password and the reasons.

I did also consider sending a mass email to those who are security locked but decided against it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom