AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2

AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2 [Paid] 1.4.9

No permission to buy (€50.00)
This add-on is intriguing and I'm sure it works well; I'll probably try it.

But the reviews it has seem questionable. As a whole they read like they are a set of paid reviews.
I assure you my review is legit as are my screen shots ('m site 2 on ampxf.com)
I installed the beta shortly after thanksgiving break (nov 28th i think?)
he was still working on the licensing system, so I paid in mid December once it was created. We also tested that part out.
I paid not full price but close to it - as a beta tester. The perk offered was free updates. The pricing was raised $5 i think for the public release. So, $5 off and free updates I'm in the US so there was a conversion factor /etc to the Euro funds.
In exchange, we spent hours working on this with Maz, tracing issues, troubleshooting google console errors - and it was a great experience. We all learned a lot about amp and I was glad to help. In exchange, i save a few bucks and maybe got a bump on my competition who haven't installed it yet.

But, the results are real - those are google's figures, unaltered.
my ad page rpm is up 3-fold
traffic about 20%

can't beat that with pretty much any mod on this site at any cost.

Attachments

• ampxf payment.webp
    ampxf payment.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 27
It's not that I think the reviews are from bots (I'm familiar with the users who wrote them) or that I think they are blatant lies. But most of the reviews were added in a short timeframe and they're all perfect, which typically doesn't happen here. I hope I can be the next to add a 5-star review. I'll wait about two weeks or so to start sharing my data.

Stats from my site after around a week of installation from search console... 4748 pages indexed with around 700 with errors that should be fixed but are still being verified. Impressions are close to 40,000 as on 17th. And Core Vitals finally show fast value for around 3000 pages which I imagine are AMP. These numbers dropped after upgrade to XF2.2 as I no longer had any idea how to shrink the font file size using that resource. So it is finally good to see some green numbers here!

As for positive reviews... There is a good reason for that. This is one of those addons that has a simple job. Generate AMP pages and it does that. Some of us posted about issues with certain themes and other issues. Mine was related to conflict with keyword linking addon. Developer worked with Siropu and a fix was issued in a few days. There have been multiple updates of the addon since public launch here fixing most of the bugs reported by the folks here. So, it is bound to generate positive reviews.

In the end, only a few forum owners who did beta testing have long term experience that could show improvements in traffic and hence revenue. Most of us are still seeing the first round of indexing and migration of first hits from Google from regular pages to AMP pages. And so far, it does exactly what it was supposed to do. And I hope to see improvements in traffic and revenue in coming weeks/months. Maybe even some appearance in Google Discover feed in future. But it is still pretty awesome to see amp pages on google searches that have my forum results. Clicking on them and getting an instant page load is kind of cool!

I would like to add the AMP bot that checks your website and gives you hints.

Never seen/bought an add-on that does this.

Running this add-on about 2 weeks now and it's pretty sweet. Also gives me a lot of work because AMP pages must validate according to Google. The mentioned bot helps me with that.

So yes, all in all a great add-on!

But most of the reviews were added in a short timeframe and they're all perfect, which typically doesn't happen here. I hope I can be the next to add a 5-star review. I'll wait about two weeks or so to start sharing my data.
I waited until it was obviously working; didn't take long. Another factor is that a lot of people have been awaiting an AMP solution for years, I forget how many... I did a couple pages by hand once, and found it untenable. So yeah, @mazzly must have known there were a lot of 5 stars laying around and ready to be doled out. :D It's a very thoughtful solution.

That's it. It does not magically boost your site's rankings or improve ad revenue. That bit is still dependent upon the content you have and the kind of traffic you get.

I'd be curious about a forum's page speed metrics before and after AMP. I'd imagine biggest gains with AMP would be if your non-AMP page speed metrics are very poor to begin with. Interesting to see how AMP would fair if your non-AMP page speed metrics were already fast to begin with. But yes would ultimately depend on the content.

I have installed it. It seems that the addon is working on my site but in the control panel of AMPXF it tell me "Installed version: Not found yet".
Wait to see if there is some "changed" in my site!

I'd be curious about a forum's page speed metrics before and after AMP. I'd imagine biggest gains with AMP would be if your non-AMP page speed metrics are very poor to begin with. Interesting to see how AMP would fair if your non-AMP page speed metrics were already fast to begin with. But yes would ultimately depend on the content.
I had my mobile site quite much optimized for pagespeed (I installed centminmod ;), followed some of your guides, and even lended some ideas from you SW.js) :)

Only thing that wasn't optimal, and "brought the score down" a bit, was an above-the-fold Ad..
But then again I also have the same above-the-fold Ad position on my AMP site.

I've seen very good traffic improvements on my own site as well :)

I have installed it. It seems that the addon is working on my site but in the control panel of AMPXF it tell me "Installed version: Not found yet".
Wait to see if there is some "changed" in my site!
Hmm, for some reason the AMPbot had not received the "install-ping".. I now manually set the bot to look at your site :) 👍

This add-on is intriguing and I'm sure it works well; I'll probably try it.

But the reviews it has seem questionable. As a whole they read like they are a set of paid reviews.

I think numbers speak for themselves (the former amp pages were from another part of our community, not the forums). Errors have been mostly solved, the google amp bot needs some time to validate them.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 08.14.17.jpg

All I can tell you is that I'm a big fan of amp, because I know how well amp pages perform on wordpress (not in this graph) and how well I can monetize them. I really don't understand how amp is not a core part of xf.

Last edited:
So I installed the add-on and everything looks fine so far except one thing. I tested a regular XF thread page ( 3 AdSence ads) and a AMP ( 3 AdSence ads). And FCP & LCP are almost twice bigger for AMP version.

xf.webp amp.webp

I gues this is because on a regular XF thread page I placed a top ad after the first post using code
Code:
<xf:if is="$post.position % $xf.options.messagesPerPage == 0 AND count($__globals.posts)>5">
code
</xf:if>

An ad doesn't appear in a view on load and doesn't affect FCP & LCP. For AMP version I didn't find such an option.
Can I somehow place an ad after the first post, not above message list for keeping FCP & LCP low?

@Anatoliy I did a test of random page on your site:

Non-AMP: Score 54
1611143771066.png

AMP: Score 82
1611143794050.png

The overall scores are better 👍
Total blocking time is much lower 👍
Time to interactive is much lower 👍

The FCP and LCP are worse as you said, and looking at the preview it shows the consent screen on AMP, which probably adds a bit for the paint-time.. (Wondering maybe that one can be optimized by moving it higher up in markup... I'll look into it later today)

From preview on AMP page:
1611143932167.png

You could maybe try to disable the consent screens if you don't care for that jazz? It might help improve..

FYI: I don't see any ads in any of the previews, so that shouldn't affect the score to my knowledge.

Hmm, try testing pagespeed with the "cached url" which you can get by pasting and AMP url to https://amp.dev/documentation/examples/guides/using_the_google_amp_cache/ :) That one should have some more optimizations on top also :)
a little bit better, but FCP & LCP are still red instead of green.
btw I see this error in devtools:
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for https://www.....com/ww.js.map: Fetch through target failed: Target not supported; Fallback: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

wat is that map? should it be fixed?

a little bit better, but FCP & LCP are still red instead of green.
btw I see this error in devtools:
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/ww.js.map: Fetch through target failed: Target not supported; Fallback: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

wat is that map? should it be fixed?
Those maps are not problematic, they actually only try to load when you open the dev console :) (they help developers with debugging JS/css when things are minimized)

As for FCP / LCP, I don't think it is really a big concern honestly... A simple question to ponder:

Would you rather:
  1. See the content within 2s, but not be able to scroll/click anything until ~10s has passed.
  2. See the content within 3s and be able to scroll/interact with it 1s after that (4s total time has passed)
I know I would choose the second option :)

Top Bottom