AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2

AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2 [Paid] 1.4.9

No permission to buy (€50.00)
I've been checking in every so often and monitoring with intention to purchase/install when I have the time to do so - I've just come back now to do so and noted it's now listed as Beta - The add-on has been available for 41 days - and it's had 51 updates already o_O. Given the price tag of 250 for a large forum, I'll come back again when it's a stable add-on.

Good luck with it.
So to clarify: version 1.3.6 is beta because it added support for some new views (forum list and tags)

Version 1.3.5 is stable and you can choose that one while waiting for 1.3.6 to reach stable 😊👍

With all respect, I think you have a wrong view. There are 51 updates because the developer is crazy enough to support every installed 3rd party addons and styles and modifications. Is your forum running a stock XF? I don't believe so. You probably have themes installed and a lot of addons installed.

So the 51 updates are not a negative thing, in fact, it is the opposite. Knowing that the dev takes care of your problems when you need it and doesn't just stop supporting you like other developers do from time to time. Of course you can come back later, but if the customer pool grows and grows, we will see a lot more updates. Having no updates would be the problem here.

What I shared was largely factual.

The add-on has been available for 41 days and has had 51 updates.

The only 'view' I shared was I'd come back when it's more settled. I don't want to invest into an average of 1.2 updates every day. That's not "a wrong view" - that's personal preference. Updates are of course good, the enthusiasm is great - but when the volume/frequency is so great it can mean prospective customers can have this view;

There are two reads to this:
  • the author is very responsive and adds updates to many specifics relating to the thousands of add-ons installed on the various customer forums
  • that being said, it can frighten some and make them think of a certain lack of preparation of the module. what I can understand.
Maybe the author could reconsider the way they update the mod, distribute it here on XF.
The betas on its own site and the stable here.
I suggested that earlier but almost got run out of town! 😅 I agree there are a few views to this but there is no mistaking @mazzly's responsiveness to customer needs. And I would not call the product unstable -- but it is indeed evolving (rapidly).

And that's why I'll come back in a couple of months because as you say, it's still evolving.

If it was 40, I'd think 'what the heck'

But at 250 for a large forum - I'll wait.

So to clarify: version 1.3.6 is beta because it added support for some new views (forum list and tags)

Version 1.3.5 is stable and you can choose that one while waiting for 1.3.6 to reach stable 😊👍

Thanks

I am running nearly stock and I update once or twice a week. Most recent update was for amp view of forum, tag and home page which basically added some functionality for me. Others are mostly catering to third party add-ons that I don't use so I don't really have to bother to update instantly. I do keep an eye on changelog and update if I see anything useful.

I don't want to invest into an average of 1.2 updates every day
Nobody is forcing you to update that often tho :) You can simply just choose to install the stable releases, and ignore the ones that are beta/alpha/release candidate.
And that's why I'll come back in a couple of months because as you say, it's still evolving.
Depends on how you look at it.. For thread views, AMPXF has been very much stable already, and that is honestly where you would see the most benefit. The Forum lists and tag views were recently added as some customers have requested it also, even though we don't expect to see much of a benefit our of those ones (tags being exception if the site is well structured around those)
I am running nearly stock and I update once or twice a week. Most recent update was for amp view of forum, tag and home page which basically added some functionality for me. Others are mostly catering to third party add-ons that I don't use so I don't really have to bother to update instantly. I do keep an eye on changelog and update if I see anything useful.
Yes exactly this, no need to update to latest unless you are affected by things in the changelog :) 👍
i do have a query/feature request. is it possible to enable card view for amp pages? right now, the amp links do not show a link preview on twitter.
I'll look into it :) 👍
Hmm. Those graphs are pretty different to the earlier ones.
Yes, it seem like that 7/8th February update has messed a bit with the traffic :(

Google also messed up an experiment (n==1) we were doing on our own site to see if the JSON-LD would have any benefits for AMP 😠

@mazzly Please can you add option for Hide Breadcrumb navigation bar and Bord Title with New Posts and Post New Thread actions?

• Remove Breadcrumb navigation
  • Remove Title from Forum Index
  • Remove forum list page actions
View attachment 246760
I don't think we will add this as an option into the addon, as it is:
  • Custom modification
  • Different from the "default XF behaviour"
We want to keep the AMPXF addon generated pages as similar to the canonical. (i.e. if you show something on normal site, it should also show on AMP site)

You should be able to do the things you want with some CSS selectors:
CSS:
/* Hides the breadcrumb on "forum views" */
html[data-amp-page-type="forum"] .p-breadcrumbs {
   display: none;
}
/* Hides the header (title and buttons) on "forum views" */
html[data-amp-page-type="forum"] .p-body-header {
   display: none;
}
(If you set this into amp_extra.less, the above things should be fixed)

So I have some thoughts that I'd like to share. And first of all, I have to state that I know nothing about all that stuff so everything below could be a schizophrenic delirium. )

By default, xF pages load 2 woff2 files - regular & solid. However, when I changed the default Regular to Solid in the Style Properties, it loads only one woff2 - Solid. Can AMPXF load only solid in such cases, too? The picture says it would save 225ms.
Also if woff2 and all.css would load from the local server (as it is with non amp xF pages) it would save another 150ms (dns lokup and ssl connection with use.fontawesome...). Total almost 400ms faster.

Am I right or am I high?

w.webp

However, when I changed the default Regular to Solid in the Style Properties, it loads only one woff2 - Solid.
This sounds really weird, as the settings in XF options shouldn't affect what the all.css from FA cdn will load.. 🤔
Also if woff2 and all.css would load from the local server (as it is with non amp xF pages) it would save another 150ms (dns lokup and ssl connection with use.fontawesome...). Total almost 400ms faster.
There are some limitations on how fonts can be loaded for AMP pages, and the best solution so far has been to load it from their CDN. This has been explained previously in this thread somewhere :)
Am I right or am I high?
Good question :D

I see that the waterfall is taken from the "live site" and not from the AMP Caches, which is what you should be looking at for the "real" results. Google and Bing do a bit of extra optimization/tweaking before they put it in their caches.

But even with the data taken from the real site, from what I can tell in that waterfall there are no render blocking things already at 0.2s, which is really nice :) 👍

mazzly updated AMPXF - AMP for Xenforo 2 with a new update entry:

1.3.6 Beta 4

• Fixed styling for article forum view with "preview"-style, thanks for noticing this @briansol 👍
  • Small improvement to MathML handler
  • Compatibility with addon TB/BenzerKonular (Turkish addon for "Similar threads")
  • Small improvement for compatibility with Andy/similarThreads
  • Insert <meta>-tags for sharing and similar like the PAGE_CONTAINER does it.
  • Fix <amp-imgur> to work in some...

Read the rest of this update entry...

There are some limitations on how fonts can be loaded for AMP pages, and the best solution so far has been to load it from their CDN. This has been explained previously in this thread somewhere
Right, I forgot that G serves amps from his server, not from my. So yes, it's better to get icons & css from fontawesome site.
So I'm taking back this question. But the question remains - why load both regular & solid if just solid alone will do it.

I see that the waterfall is taken from the "live site" and not from the AMP Caches, which is what you should be looking at for the "real" results. Google and Bing do a bit of extra optimization/tweaking before they put it in their caches.
here is from AMP caches. and those with adsense disabled. but FCP and LCP don't meet the requirements.

g.webp

Top Bottom