1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Am i allowed to move the Copyright?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by TsinJu, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TsinJu

TsinJu Well-Known Member

I´ve installed XenFácil's Footer Pie and have lot of space left. So i wanted to move the fully copyright to the bottom left, where the Xenforo Logo is.
    Question is.. am i allowed to do?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you can move the copyright to a different location.

Amaury and TsinJu like this.
  3. TsinJu

TsinJu Well-Known Member

Thank you

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

To expand a bit, it just has to be visible. So, for example, if you made the copyright text black on a black background, that would breach XenForo's Terms of Use thing.

TsinJu likes this.
  5. TsinJu

TsinJu Well-Known Member

I would never delete, transparent etc the xenforo´s Copyright.
    But thanks for the answer

6. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Interesting, thats not my interpretation from the License Agreement ...
    To me, "unaltered" means location and presentation too.

Is your yes/agreeance that it can be moved based on official prior or directly received information/response, or only as a moderator also interpreting? If the later, not trying to say your wrong, but just to me 'unaltered' also means location, etc.

7. Brogan

There are many third party styles which have changed the style and location of the copyright.

8. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Yes, perhaps they have 'specific prior arrangement', are ignoring (or ignorant of) the license agreement, or XF have officially stated/confirmed your assertion that it can be moved and presentation/colouring changed. Just trying to ascertain which it is, not troll or troublemake.

9. Brogan

If you want to take an absolute literal translation of the license agreement then you wouldn't even be able to change the colour of the copyright text to match your custom style, change the font face or size.

It is fine to move the copyright around within the footer area and also to change the colour, text size, etc.

What is not permitted is to change the wording in any way (edit the phrase) nor remove the hyperlink.

I hope that clarifies it.

TsinJu and Amaury like this.
  10. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes.
    I'm just aware that a large site that an XF staff member recently (last 2-3 weeks) helped migrate to XF has no XF copyright showing. Without knowing if they purchased branding removal or have prior approval, it makes it a little difficult to follow exactly what you can and cannot do with the copyright.

11. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I believe you could even move the copyright anywhere on the site, like on the top of the page, right? It just has to be visible.

12. Brogan

There are only two instances where the copyright would be missing: one is legally by purchasing the branding free option, of which we are able to check by looking at the customer account, the second is by breaching the license agreement.
    In the case of the latter, we "remind" those customers to replace it.

No, that wouldn't be permitted.
    It must remain in the footer area.

Amaury likes this.
  13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Got it! Thanks! I don't move anything around in my styles, but just wanted to know for the sake of knowing. :)