Lack of interest alternative for captcha (drag right icon)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

maidos

i think this sort of captcha is brilliant and easie.. hope xenforo can implement this

MH3AT.png

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well... how easy is that?!
cool.png
. Really, I never ever understood the human-unfriendly way of having to re-type 2 bloody words one can often hardly read with our own human eyes
mad.png
. Very annoying from an end-users point of view this whole captcha unrecognisable 2-word thing as of lately! I always wished someone would invent something much better. It seems that my wish has come true...

cool.png
. Really, I never ever understood the human-unfriendly way of having to re-type 2 bloody words one can often hardly read with our own human eyes
mad.png
. Very annoying from an end-users point of view this whole captcha unrecognisable 2-word thing as of lately! I always wished someone would invent something much better. It seems that my wish has come true...

Cool i'm not the only one wh as problems with Captcha where it hard to read the 2 words from time-to-time. This looks much better and easier than Captcha

T^his may be better than the recaptcha, but is it as effective? Also, it doesn't look like it would degrade easily though.

cool.png
That's exactly why it's useless actually.

I don't want to turn this into a long explanation, but the CAPTCHA shown is http://www.webdesignbeach.com/beachbar/ajax-fancy-captcha-jquery-plugin . There are various explanations of issues in the comments there, but a most specifically, completely random guesses will give you the correct answer 20% of the time. That is easily enough for a successful brute force attempt.

Additionally, the set of images is likely to be trivially small (even 100 would be small) and it would be very easy to resolve.

A CAPTCHA has to have a very wide range of answers. A 6 letter CAPTCHA has 26^6--approx 309 million--answers. Random guessing is useless, so you work on OCR techniques to break them. When you start at 5 answers, there's not much that you can even do to make it worthwhile.

Good points Mike. I was thinking of it from a user-friendliness standpoint. But, I see how that could cause issues.

That's exactly why it's useless actually.

Whoozzz. Well... there goes my wish!
smile.png
frown.png

I was also....

...thinking of it from a user-friendliness standpoint.

My specialty is User Interfaces: looking at/testing UI's from an end-user's point of view. I have no clue whatsoever about programming or technical details/backgrounds. So from this position I always was/am frustrated by websites who confront me with 2 hardly readable words (more then once I need to re-generate the words, exactly because of that reason) that I then need to re-type. When you think about it, it is just really annoying and far from userfriendly. Some websites even confront you with this when just simply want to comment on a blog article! I am sorry, but this is not particular inviting to comment/post is it? Granted, only having it once for user registration purposes is fine, but even then I still wish that someday someone can invent a system that is very protective and at the same time user friendly. In my opinion protective measurements should never be in the way of usability. The Windows Vista User Account Control is one prime example of that. Terrible.

Obviously platforms such as XenForo do not suffer much (if at all) from this re-captcha thing when it comes to the usability, since we are only confronted by it once per registration. Still... I hope that by next Xmas a new re-captcha child is born
smile.png

...I always was/am frustrated by websites who confront me with 2 hardly readable words (more then once I need to re-generate the words, exactly because of that reason) that I then need to re-type. When you think about it, it is just really annoying and far from userfriendly.

Obviously platforms such as XenForo do not suffer much (if at all) from this re-captcha thing when it comes to the usability, since we are only confronted by it once per registration. Still... I hope that by next Xmas a new re-captcha child is born :).

Well... it seems Santa is amongst us very early this (or just a little late...), because he just gave us a present to heal our 'having-to-type-and-retype-and-retype-2-unreadable-words'- syndrome:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-beta-6-released.10377/#post-141118

:cool:.

Top Bottom