Lack of interest Allow partial searches

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Ryan Kent

Presently a complete search term is required to find a match. For example I performed a member search for "Jax" with no results. A search with Jaxel brings up the record. There are many instances where a partial search would be helpful.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can use * as a wildcard, for example Jaxe*

SQL does not allow 3 letter words to be searched for by default.

For now I'll try to let board users know to use a * in searches. I would still offer the suggestion that if XF would automatically add a "*" after all searches, it would be a benefit to our users.

Just as an fyi....Looks like the Find Member function isn't the same as a "search" within XF. When I perform a Find Member for Jax it comes up "The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name." If I try a Find Member for Jax* the same response appears.

I'm not sure adding a wildcard by default is a particularly good idea.
That's going to return a lot of irrelevant results.

Searching for part for example would return words such as part, particle, particular, participation, etc.

You are absolutely right. Perhaps the current system is best.

Reminds me of the quote "True happiness is being satisfied with what you already have."

Top Bottom