• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Allow partial searches

Ryan Kent

Presently a complete search term is required to find a match. For example I performed a member search for "Jax" with no results. A search with Jaxel brings up the record. There are many instances where a partial search would be helpful.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You can use * as a wildcard, for example Jaxe*

SQL does not allow 3 letter words to be searched for by default.

Ryan Kent

For now I'll try to let board users know to use a * in searches. I would still offer the suggestion that if XF would automatically add a "*" after all searches, it would be a benefit to our users.

Just as an fyi....Looks like the Find Member function isn't the same as a "search" within XF. When I perform a Find Member for Jax it comes up "The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name." If I try a Find Member for Jax* the same response appears.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure adding a wildcard by default is a particularly good idea.
That's going to return a lot of irrelevant results.

Searching for part for example would return words such as part, particle, particular, participation, etc.

Ryan Kent

You are absolutely right. Perhaps the current system is best.

Reminds me of the quote "True happiness is being satisfied with what you already have."