Implemented Allow custom BBCode

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know this has been discussed on various threads but as far as I am aware, the request hasn't been made directly to allow custom BBCode.

I have about 50 or so custom BBCodes in use on my site which are added easily via the ACP.
I would like to see the same functionality in XF as these codes are crucial to the functionality of my site.

Additionally, if there is a simple way of adding custom BB Code buttons to the TinyMCE editor then that would be extremely useful.

Upvote 69
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Honestly the lack of a native BB Code manager more than anything else is what prevents me from seriously considering XenForo
Have you tried the BBCode manager already ? Have you previously liked King K's addons ?

To hear something so fundamental to for the forum administration experience be described as "bloat" is sad IMHO.
What bbcodes do you use ?
what bbcodes do your forum members use ?

FYI: Loved your video !!!

On my live forum I have about 90 BB Codes installed... I admit I'm an addict but there are several that aren't included that I think are necessary for just about any forum, and obviously others will have their own list.

I looked into the BB Code manager but didn't install it... I'm sure it's great for now but I won't depend on a mod for such a fundamental part of my forum- there's no promise it will remain current or supported.

Re: FYI: Thanks. ;)

90 !
You run a different kind of site.
I checked out JUOT and loved all the vB 3.x tweaks !
You might want to just stick with vB3.x but I'd probably change vBadvanced to Wordpress as a Blog / Front Page.
Great job

On my live forum I have about 90 BB Codes installed... I admit I'm an addict but there are several that aren't included that I think are necessary for just about any forum, and obviously others will have their own list.

I looked into the BB Code manager but didn't install it... I'm sure it's great for now but I won't depend on a mod for such a fundamental part of my forum- there's no promise it will remain current or supported.

Re: FYI: Thanks. ;)
I stumbled upon this, but until it is included in the default software, I will keep it up-to-date (within a reasonable amount of time), or hand it to someone capable if time is not in my favor.

I stumbled upon this, but until it is included in the default software, I will keep it up-to-date (within a reasonable amount of time), or hand it to someone capable if time is not in my favor.
This is (one of the reasons) why I like you brother, you are willing to let go of your code in order for it to survive. You are the man for that. Total selflessness right there. I'm for this being picked up by the team and working into the core product.

By the way. If we're gonna implent 50+ codes, the quick reply header will be stuffed with icons.
I think that only the most used ones should be added than.
Don't mean to bring up an old post but...
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/tryit/menu_button.php check out the button that looks like a T in the example editor. Custom menus like that (smiles and such) can be used to consolidate space. Like I have my different Media bbcodes I use... I would like to make a menu button so I have a dropdown of the bbcodes for the various player containers I have come up with.

Don't mean to bring up an old post but...
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/tryit/menu_button.php check out the button that looks like a T in the example editor. Custom menus like that (smiles and such) can be used to consolidate space. Like I have my different Media bbcodes I use... I would like to make a menu button so I have a dropdown of the bbcodes for the various player containers I have come up with.
Have you managed to customise the TinyMCE editor toolbar in XenForo? I tried including a custom toolbar, but it didn't render.

Brainwave:
If the custom BBCodes were to use templates, then we could expose variables to them to make BBCodes more usable. If we were to use, for example, mod BBCodes, then we could expose the $thread, $user, etc. BBCodes to the template.

Brainwave:
If the custom BBCodes were to use templates, then we could expose variables to them to make BBCodes more usable. If we were to use, for example, mod BBCodes, then we could expose the $thread, $user, etc. BBCodes to the template.

Hmmm....interesting....

Brainwave:
BBCode Manager completely supports (not trying to self-promote here, honestly) PHP callbacks, which'd mean you could utilize templates. I thought of a feature that I'd like to implement for the next version of BBCM.

BBCode Manager completely supports (not trying to self-promote here, honestly) PHP callbacks, which'd mean you could utilize templates. I thought of a feature that I'd like to implement for the next version of BBCM.
BBCM sounds great. I was just suggesting it for the default installation ;)

I need 3 custom codes, and it sucks I have to install a mod to do this, although I am appreciative of KK for making what seems to be a great mod.

Whoever said this was bloat needs a head shake.

You know what sucks? Installing all of these extremely cool BB Codes and then realizing far too late in the game that none of your members know they are on the website because whenever you install them, they are not automatically added to the BB Code Help Page. Is there mod or way for BB Code explanations to be added to the BB Cod help page?

Top Bottom