Implemented Allow custom BBCode

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know this has been discussed on various threads but as far as I am aware, the request hasn't been made directly to allow custom BBCode.

I have about 50 or so custom BBCodes in use on my site which are added easily via the ACP.
I would like to see the same functionality in XF as these codes are crucial to the functionality of my site.

Additionally, if there is a simple way of adding custom BB Code buttons to the TinyMCE editor then that would be extremely useful.

Upvote 69
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think the self-closing tags would only be for things that don't contain content, like
, which would just insert a horizontal line.

Sorry not meaning to be obtuse here, but do you seriously think the majority of your members would remember which tags they need to close and which they don't? If it was all button control, assuming here people are thinking the editor buttons, then I could see that one working.

So this would be like say imagine tags in xhtml?

Sorry not meaning to be obtuse here, but do you seriously think the majority of your members would remember which tags they need to close and which they don't? If it was all button control, assuming here people are thinking the editor buttons, then I could see that one working.

So this would be like say imagine tags in xhtml?
I agree. Custom bbcodes should have editor buttons to insert them into the editor.

I have so many custom bb codes it would look ridiculous to have editor buttons for each one but regardless of whether their was an editor button or not it shouldn't be a problem for the user to have SOME tags that don't close... you could always go ahead and require all your tags to close if you don't mind people typing out
to make a horizontal line but it's certainly within reason to expect a user to know if there is no content (nothing between the tags) then they don't need an ending tag- if fact I think the way it is now is harder to understand.

And as was pointed out this is only for special cases where there is no closing tag, bold, italics, underline, etc... would always need a closing tag.

Already posted once on this topic, but I cannot stress enough the importance of including some nice bbCodes with XenForo.

Why?

A bbCode that is unique to one forum or varies from forum to forum will neither be remembered nor see widespread usage.

If a strikethru, subscript, superscript, and other bbCodes are included natively in XenForo, then posters will grow comfortable using these bbCodes on multiple forums.

Update: LOL Strikeout is implemented, so half my post was struck on first post. ;)

A very powerful bbCode engine/editor would be an awesome feature. :) Allow callbacks to PHP classes/methods, allow regex's, allow multiple parameters, etc. :D

Wow... I really like that implementation... I'm used to VB where you are limited to one {param} and one {option}.

Anyway custom bb codes are an ABSOLUTE necessity... I don't particularly care if they have editor buttons or not but it would be nice if after so many buttons they made a new line in the editor rather then making the editor window wider like in vB.

I'm actually quite fond of my BBCode collection... always looking for more.
http://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20432
It does use 1 param and 1 option, where TEXT1 = option & TEXT2 = param!

In terms of default BBCode I believe it's all covered (by standards at least). I've never used a forum that makes excessive use of (sub/super)script. I would like to see some more syntax highlighting but perhaps it's better as a modification, who knows.

I also think it'd be very advanced if the BBCode engine allows for more than 1 param/option, perhaps separated by (|) or (;).

[someCode="option1;option2;"][/someCode]

I think custom BBcode is very useful. I use it for playing in-house video clips in a flash player, and also for some moderator announcements where the text is made into a nice box with a moderator graphic.

LOL, I don't think I could live without bbcodes; this should be a gimme(FLOWPLAYER and BBCODES FTW). But what I am thinking is a nice smooth bbcode import export feature so if one has to rebuild a board from scratch or say upload a mod to share they can simply upload and download a bbcode export file and post instructions for use wherever the file was uploaded.(hopefully here instead of spread between 5 or 6 domains :-) )

Update fyi those wanting tables like vbulletin, I got the code from a clever developer on my site.
HTML replacement is there, I can't work out how to put in <code> here anymore.

Oh yeah as far as the admin side of thing when creating a bb code , an option to select what user groups can use the bb code ( say I want admins to be able to use something like html which a member has no business using say to make a very formal thread starting post.)
There is a bunch of ways you can use this to your advantage...example a user plays out the media embed bb code
{random_user} is now in (usergroup: BBabuser) = all normal privileges of a member minus bb code usage ..... or countless other scenarios where customization could help prevent changing up your already well oiled machine.

Oh yeah as far as the admin side of thing when creating a bb code , an option to select what user groups can use the bb code ( say I want admins to be able to use something like html which a member has no business using say to make a very formal thread starting post.)
There is a bunch of ways you can use this to your advantage...example a user plays out the media embed bb code
{random_user} is now in (usergroup: BBabuser) = all normal privileges of a member minus bb code usage ..... or countless other scenarios where customization could help prevent changing up your already well oiled machine.

I do like that idea, of making an option to select what user groups can use custom BBCode

Top Bottom