1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Allow custom BBCode

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Brogan, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I know this has been discussed on various threads but as far as I am aware, the request hasn't been made directly to allow custom BBCode.

I have about 50 or so custom BBCodes in use on my site which are added easily via the ACP.
    I would like to see the same functionality in XF as these codes are crucial to the functionality of my site.

Additionally, if there is a simple way of adding custom BB Code buttons to the TinyMCE editor then that would be extremely useful.
    Adam Howard, Jay, Cibox and 66 others like this.
  2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Wut about giving a list of those 50 custom ones, I have no idea what they all are...

By the way. If we're gonna implent 50+ codes, the quick reply header will be stuffed with icons.
    I think that only the most used ones should be added than.
  3. Brogan

They're custom to my site - I created them.

The decision would be with the site owner to decide which ones to add.
  4. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Ahh, like that... I though you meant like adding them all by default and set it to 'on'.
  5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

TinyMCE is suppose to be completely customizable.

And I doubt Mike and Kier would leave out custom BBCodes (Nearly every solution has them, and they tend to be used often).
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

They're not in now, though they're not that hard.

I'm not sure I'd agree with them being used "often" though.
  7. Brogan

I daren't show you some of the posts on my forum then :D

To be fair though most of our custom BBCode is for tables as we use them a lot to display standings & results, etc.
    Wired likes this.
  8. Forsaken

Most sites I've seen use BBCode addons, or create their own.

I don't mind if its there or not, because I try not to add to many icons to my editor.
  9. Alluidh

Alluidh Well-Known Member

I don't do it with the ACP function from vb but I need an option for enlarging the editor too :)
  10. Brogan

The attached screenshot shows how BBCode is handled in the ACP in phpBB.

Of course any additions to the editor have to be done via template edits.

Attached Files:

11. Wired

Wired Active Member

Table BBCode by default would be awesome!
  12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

+1 ... we use this to display information and it's great! :D
  13. Brogan

14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

A way to mange custom BBCodes would be extremely useful.

You have a 'dmv' BBCode, what does that stand for?
  15. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

16. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

17. Brogan

DMV is for DailyMotion video :)

This is one of my favourite BBCodes:

<div class="spoiler"><div class="quotetitle"><input type="button" value="{TEXT1}" style="font-size:11px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';        this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = '{TEXT1}'; }" /></div><div class="quotecontent"><div style="display: none;">{TEXT2}</div></div></div>

It's used for e.g. quizzes: http://www.cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1905
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

That is what dmv stands for here as well.

Interesting! BTW I really like you site. :)
  19. Forsaken

20. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

Wow... I really like that implementation... I'm used to VB where you are limited to one {param} and one {option}.

Anyway custom bb codes are an ABSOLUTE necessity... I don't particularly care if they have editor buttons or not but it would be nice if after so many buttons they made a new line in the editor rather then making the editor window wider like in vB.

I'm actually quite fond of my BBCode collection... always looking for more.