Implemented Allow custom BBCode

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know this has been discussed on various threads but as far as I am aware, the request hasn't been made directly to allow custom BBCode.

I have about 50 or so custom BBCodes in use on my site which are added easily via the ACP.
I would like to see the same functionality in XF as these codes are crucial to the functionality of my site.

Additionally, if there is a simple way of adding custom BB Code buttons to the TinyMCE editor then that would be extremely useful.

Upvote 69
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Agreed! In vB, posting data is a pain. The BBCode TABLE posted earlier is a fantastic workaround for that. Please do include this!

Not to bring it back up again but something like that table could be made and stored as an exported bb code similarly to the way the XenForo Resources forum is storing art right now is if we also had that system included. It would make sharing complex bbcodes and their proper implementation that much easier. Things like this could minimize redundancy and streamline production while at he same time promoting sharing. It's a win-win-win ...trifecta-ish even.

Couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere else, but hope that custom BBCode will be in there. I only use a few, but they're central to my forum. Also being able to add a button to the editor, as you can in vBulletin, would be extremely useful.

I'm not sure I'd agree with them being used "often" though.

I'm sorry, but if you say that then you have very little idea about the range of things custom bb codes can be used for. BB codes are not just used for formatting on my board. We use them for a range of things from running apps to inserting ads.

I think this is one of the main functions of any modern forum engine that simply must be present by default.
Mike, Kier, you should think about it.

Well the bbcode manager addon works perfectly fine, I was actually against something as integral as bbcode management to a forum being an addon...but King Kovifor did an excellent job on his BBcode manager and as long as he maintains it as xf expands I'm sure this will be more than enough. And seeing as everyone wants to keep the bloat down this is actually perfect as people who wont be adding custom codes don't need a bb code manager. This is just my opinion though.

The only problem with relying on an add-on for something as fundamental as BB Code is if the author no longer supports it in the future.

That would cause havoc with a lot of forums if it ever stopped working.

The only problem with relying on an add-on for something as fundamental as BB Code is if the author no longer supports it in the future.

That would cause havoc with a lot of forums if it ever stopped working.
Absolutely true, I agree with Brogan! That's what I wanted to say here.

Additionally, if there is a simple way of adding custom BB Code buttons to the TinyMCE editor then that would be extremely useful.

Although for me custom BB Codes are not essential (I would much more prefer the ability to use HTML in postings as an admin), I am gonna support this suggestion. If it ever gets included, I would need:

1. The ability to access/use my bbcodes from a dropdown-list field inside the WYSIWYG editor,
  2. The ability to show only this field to specific usergroups (admins),
  3. The ability to disallow the manual usage of such admin-specific bbcodes inside postings by other usersgroups

(... as I pointed out already 5 years ago in depth overhere: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...enu-inside-the-texteditor-for-custom-BBCodes.)

Table BBCode by default would be awesome!

I just realized how much I like the way tables are presented on this great site (about the iPhone) : see this page. (scroll down to: iPhone 3G Vodafone Super Sim vergelijking - table) I wonder how they did it and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are using a Wordpress plugin called 'wp-Table'. See more on this plugin overhere and look at the example (--> go here for the updated version: http://tobias.baethge.com/wordpress-plugins/wp-table-reloaded-english/) Amazingly the columns are even sortable. :cool:

What I understand is that it becomes possible this way to construct tables in your Wordpress Blog without any knowledge of HTML-codes : you just construct them visually. And this is really how it should be, in Wordpress and the likes and... in software platforms like vBulletin XenForo.

I want to be able to create RICH textpostings inside my vBulletin XenForo aswell. When you look at Wordpress you see so much options for it's users to create rich textpostings, but I can't offer that really to my vBulletin members : IMHO vBulletin lacks in this area. Rich textpostings are becoming even more so important now vBulletin Blog has seen the day of light. So I hope that in the future there becomes a way to construct tables inside postings/blogentries in the most userfriendly way by visually constructing them.

(taken from a posting I once wrote on the once great vBulletin community)

Honestly the lack of a native BB Code manager more than anything else is what prevents me from seriously considering XenForo as an alternative to the other choices out there. To hear something so fundamental to for the forum administration experience be described as "bloat" is sad IMHO.

Top Bottom