1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned Alerts Sounds?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Cory Booth, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Cory Booth

Cory Booth Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is already in place, my sound is off.
    But do the alert notifications include a little quick sound?
  2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I hope not.
    Puntocom, CyberAP, Spenser and 2 others like this.
  3. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Same here.
  4. Cory Booth

Options fellas, options....
    Can always be an on/off option in admin
    KURTZ likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

6. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Please no... this is what made vBulletin so bloated for example... countless of options.

And this comes from a well known vBulletin developer himself :).
    Puntocom likes this.
  7. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

It's just not worth it, why do you need a sound? Do you really need to be told SO bad when something happened in a forum?
  8. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

really don't like this idea.
    TrixieTang likes this.
  9. Cory Booth

Ok... I hear ya...
    Just as a commercial package, the more it "appeases" folks, the more people will buy it.
    I'm just brain-storming here... Thats all...

I spent a long-time figuring out how to add sounds to one of the VB.org chat mods...
    Just came across my mind and I thought I'd post it...

After I posted a quick tid-bit on .org how to add sound, my PM was flooded with questions.
    So anyways... Just relating my past experiences with what it seems the "masses" are interested in.
  10. Freddie

Freddie Active Member

I am all for options, I love options. There are just some items in vBulletin that really shouldn't be options, not because they bloat, but because they are like giving users the option to either drive on the left or on the right. Just tell them to drive on one or the other and be done with it. Leave the options for what really does matter. Of course, what matters to one, doesn't matter to another so that is for another topic.
  11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I probably get about... 50+ alerts a day.

I do not want sound.
  12. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Conveying the alert through a visual state doesn't need a secondary "sound" alert. The system as I'm seeing it is prity much perfected. Sound notifications imo would be gimmicky.
  13. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I can understand sound notifications for a chat plugin, but notifications for the XF alerts, no way.

The red bubble is more than enough.
    Abomination and Shelley like this.
  14. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Hello Freddie!

I fully agree on 'Leave the options for what really does matter'. That's why I think in some (a lot nowadays) areas vBulletin has become really bloated (meaning: unnecessary options). Let me give you an example of something that has been nagging vBulletin admins for more then 5! years (if not longer) now:

This is a perfect example of a completely useless option causing even much frustration... I hope XenForo stays far away from stuff like that and keeps things as K.I.S.S. as possible for the enduser.
  15. Cory Booth

Ok Ok... I surrender - good grief....
    Only throwing out ideas folks...
    Heck I probably wouldn't use this feature either.
  16. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

17. Freddie

Freddie Active Member

My recollection about the signature per post option is that it has always been there since 1.x. I would agree that it is an option that serves no purpose.

I should clarify my statement about options. Option overload in the admin interface, handled properly, is a win. I don't care for so many options at the user level.
  18. James

James Well-Known Member

If the answer to everything was an on/off switch, almost everything would be implemented ;)

I don't really want sounds, I check the alerts when I feel I want to reply to them and if I'm not browsing on the forum when I receive an alert, I don't particularly want to interrupt whatever else I'm doing just to read the alerts :p
  19. What is this, AIM? We don't need a sound, the red box is enough- you can't overlook it.
  20. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I think people who really want sounds then this could be added as a mod or even a template edit...
    It is easy enough to call a little flash file that plays the sound if there is already an if conditional to show the bubble so it would be a very easy mod...