Not planned Alerts Sounds?

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think people who really want sounds then this could be added as a mod or even a template edit...
It is easy enough to call a little flash file that plays the sound if there is already an if conditional to show the bubble so it would be a very easy mod...

True, but you'd need a cookie function or database query to determine if the sound had been fired once already or not... Otherwise until you cleared the alerts, it would fire with every page load.

But no matter.... again - this was a brain storm idea - NOT, I repeat, NOT something I think should be in the product in the first iteration - but maybe something long in the future to consider.

I mention this now, because many complain on vb.org/.com about the inability to "see" notifications. Loads of mods to "popup" "alerts" and "you got mail" sounds and images and stuff. Just thought something like this would quiet that crowd down a bit a- is all.

While I completely agree sound alerts are not desirable, could there be some documentation how to do that? Some specialized groups/forums such as the visually impaired might find it useful. Just a simple comment in the code somewhere would be good.

Sound notification when you get private message or getting a new reply in your thread.

I think facebook has it. could be nice.

I turn that crap off, annoying as can be, reminds me of "You've got mail". The Red indicator is enough for me but other folks may like it.

I have to disagree with this. It would require Flash. Facebook only has it for Chat, and seeing as there's no Chat feature currently, I don't really see any benefit to adding it to things like Alerts or PC's. :)

Sorry omri.L - I think sound alerts should be on tornado warnings and impending-worldwide-doom announcements, and that's just about it.

I'm even iffy on the tornado warnings.

Sorry omri.L - I think sound alerts should be on tornado warnings and impending-worldwide-doom announcements, and that's just about it.

I'm even iffy on the tornado warnings.

hahaha
I don't know... I really find it useful when i'm in another tab in my browser.

Sound notifications should really be left to the IM clients and web-based chat applications; because we have an instant conversation going on there. Which clearly is not the case with replies to PMs, Threads, Profile Posts, etc.

An alert is a nice way of notifying that a reply has been posted, but that's the limit. We don't need an added sound notification for that. ;)

hahaha
I don't know... I really find it useful when i'm in another tab in my browser.

I see your point, but if you're in another tab on your browser in a workplace setting you probably don't want to alert everyone that you're goofing off. :D You might not realize that you need to mute if you're on a forum, where things don't normally ding and buzz at you.

I see your point, but if you're in another tab on your browser in a workplace setting you probably don't want to alert everyone that you're goofing off. :D You might not realize that you need to mute if you're on a forum where things don't normally ding and buzz at you.
Or if you're home listening to music you don't need random sounds throwing it off. ;)

Or if it's very late at night and the sudden shrieking of a "NEW POST!!!!" alert might scare the crap out of you. (I'm a little high strung.)

If there is a different note for each alert type and the forum is busy enough then it could result in some interesting little tunes :D ;)

If there is a different note for each alert type and the forum is busy enough then it could result in some interesting little tunes :D ;)
yeah, a funeral march.
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom