Implemented  Alert when Quoted...

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
  1. If you're already watching a thread, you only get one alert per thread, so you'll get an alert when someone replies, whether or not it was in reply to you.
  2. If you're not watching a thread, you would get an alert anyway, if...
    1. Someone clicks the reply button in your post (even if they were to remove the quote). (I'm undecided on this)
    2. Someone quotes one of your posts (when the post is submitted, look for [quote="Username , post: XXX"])
    3. Someone uses @Username syntax in a post (Also undecided on this. Aside from all things twitter, people often address other users as @username, so this might be nice) (See also)

I like the idea, perhaps an option whether to receive such alerts would be good and a way to toggle them on or off by default at registration would be great too along with a global on/off switch for them.

1. If you're already watching a thread, you only get one alert per thread, so you'll get an alert when someone replies, whether or not it was in reply to you.
  2. If you're not watching a thread, you would get an alert anyway, if...

1. Someone clicks the reply button in your post (even if they were to remove the quote). (I'm undecided on this)
    2. Someone quotes one of your posts (when the post is submitted, look for [quote="Username , post: XXX"])
    3. Someone uses @Username syntax in a post (Also undecided on this. Aside from all things twitter, people often address other users as @username, so this might be nice) (See also)

I would vote no to a reply without a quote now... If someone removes the quote it may be that they are no longer addressing that person...

There are problems with the @ idea in that say for example my name is Ceri May with a space... @Ceri May wouldn't work.... as it would be @ to Ceri not to Ceri May... On a mod for vB that did this they had to resort to using the ; tag... so you got @Ceri May; but this became more complicate than it needed.... Again I think just alert on quote would be good enough.

I've wanted this feature in vBulletin for a long time, though I never had the time to make a mod for it; I think it would boost posts dramatically, especially for large threads.

Also, I think this sort of dynamic subscription model is very much align to XF's social model (news feeds / following / etc..etcc.)

I've wanted this feature in vBulletin for a long time, though I never had the time to make a mod for it; I think it would boost posts dramatically, especially for large threads.

Also, I think this sort of dynamic subscription model is very much align to XF's social model (news feeds / following / etc..etcc.)

I hate to post any vB link here, but here's what I use and it works very well.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242358

I'm glad that there's already plans to implement this in core xF code.

Yes, I really think this could be a real enhancement.

Damnit... tarnishing XF with these links! :cool:

The problem we have is (although it'd be nice) it can be pretty server-intensive.

My thought was that on post create it is checked if it creates a quote and if it does it would pull the username from it and send the alert to the user... It would be one or two extra queries on posts that contain quotes, and ones that don't none.

Love the idea

Regarding the duplicate notifications I don't think it would be an issue because
  • if you are watching a thread, people may reply, not necesarely quote you so you get a notification.
  • A lot of the times in active threads, you may miss when people quote you, this would allow you to sort out through the new posts to the ones addressing you
Not sure what would be the most effective way to handle one reply with you being quoted though, but technically I don't see why it wouldn't be regarded as a post in a watched thread and a quote.

I heared Kier saying that this is not possible. It's hard, but possibile. IPB did it =)
That is with regard to marking alerts as read when you view the content they refer to - it's nothing to do with alerting you when you are quoted, which would be remarkably easy really.

That is with regard to marking alerts as read when you view the content they refer to - it's nothing to do with alerting you when you are quoted, which would be remarkably easy really.

Ahhh I understand the complication now :)...

So are we going to have that?
Can't you make so when the user click on the alerts links it will send something to the server/db to make those contents read? But that may have some downside.

Top Bottom