Alert on followed user status update

I think this could actually get people to care about status updates.
Since no one really "hears" your status updates .... you stop updating.

I think this idea is so obvious, the fact that it doesn't exist is a bug !

Certainly Alerts on a status update is very analogous to receiving Tweets.
hmmmmm ...

+CORE.

Further tweak.

for "smaller" status updates you don't want "broadcasted", you could remove the [x]alert ? option by unchecking the box (checked by default).
alert.optional.for.status.updates.webp

Oh, the alert check box is genius.
The only way i'm drawing attention to updates is the Recent Status Updates widget but it's way too public and exposed for all.

Oh, the alert check box is genius.
The only way i'm drawing attention to updates is the Recent Status Updates widget but it's way too public and exposed for all.
For person to person stuff ... you might get xfrock's @Tag functionality to work for status updates.
so an update like this:
@danswano I'm pissed my iphone broke ! ... would alert @danswano ... but my status update would be "I'm pissed my iphone broke".

Another idea:
@followers I'm pissed my iphone broke ! ... would alert all my followers.

Actuallly ...ask xfrocks for this function ! :)
You know his Tag Me addon ?

+Like
This idea is so logical it's painful.

Tweaked IDEA:

The people you follow ... their status updates go to ONE LOCATION, and you get an alert, but you won't get 20 alerts if all 20 of your followers update.

? Location:
http://xenforo.com/community/following-updates/

Clicking the Alert will take you to that page ... and you can see everyone's alerts at once.
Well, that's what the "news feed" is essentially for. But that needs tweaking. I have a "todo list" for my coder and one of the things I wanted him to do was make a filter system on the news feed, so you can checkbox whether you want to see the people you are following's new replies, new threads, status updates, and maybe something else...just thinking off the top of my head rather than reviewing the list I made. That way, you can get the alert and it send you straight to the page with the "status updates" already checked and have it highlight the new updates (if possible).

Yeah, the news feed is good, but it would be great to filter it down to purely status updates and not every post that someone makes.

Same with recent activity, so you could see the status updates site wide on that page and then switch to news feed to see only relevant status updates from people you follow.

Yeah, the news feed is good, but it would be great to filter it down to purely status updates and not every post that someone makes.

Same with recent activity, so you could see the status updates site wide on that page and then switch to news feed to see only relevant status updates from people you follow.
That is why I don't understand why they are 2 separate features. Just a lil radio button to filter "People I follow" and "Everyone" would be the solution.
The problem with the News Feed is that nothing really brings you there.
So it doesn't get used.
That's why we need said alert system ;) ;)
Yeah, I inserted an extra link next to what's new on my nav bar for it. So there's a Public News Feed (recent activity) and a Your News Feed (news feed)
That's exactly what I want to do, I just want to change the 2 systems into 1 so I don't have the extra link.

Top Bottom