Alert on followed user status update

Supported. Good ideas like this one which will increase the user engagement on this social platform are certainly worth investigating. How else can we notice (what's in a word) if someone has updated their status?

honestly, this "following"-stuff as it is implemented currently does not bring much.

The "Your News Feed" is just too buried away to find it...... and it is also quite hard to understand why this is hidden in "Your Account" :rolleyes:

This needs to be put into the SubNav-bar as a new item:
Members > Your News Feed

Maybe also re-name it from "Your News Feed" to something like "Members you Follow" or "Recent Activity of Friends you follow" or "Friend's Activity"...

:coffee:

honestly, this "following"-stuff as it is implemented currently does not bring much.

The "Your News Feed" is just too buried away to find it...... and it is also quite hard to understand why this is hidden in "Your Account" :rolleyes:

This needs to be put into the SubNav-bar as a new item:
Members > Your News Feed

On the one hand I really like how all these overviews are accessible through menu's on Xenforo, so it's not so much in your face. It keeps everything clean and uncluttered and this is one of the many things that I like about Xenforo.

When you look at Facebook for example, you have your Friends Activity always served to you in a long vertical area in the upper right corner. Making things a bit more cluttered/busy, but at the same time more accessible to you. I guess finding a good balance (between a clean UI and accessibility) can be a challenge.

The "Your News Feed' is now indeed only accessible through Your Account, but still in 3 locations:

- Mouseover on your Username (in the XF mainmenu) and in the dropdown there's a link
- Click on that same Username and in the menu on the left side there's a link
- Click on that same Username and in the submenu of the XF mainmenu there's a link

Since you are mentioning the Members page, yes you do have a point that it might also fit there.
Because there's already a link called [Recent activity] and this link comes back (all the way below, so not really visible) in the Your News Feed overview, so maybe a [Your News Feed] would consequentially also fit back there.

Talking about the Member page in itself: I never quite understood why forum platforms are providing this endless (and pretty useless) memberlist. It can be made so much more useful (see here and here), so I hope that Xenforo can change this once and for all in a future version.

Maybe also re-name it from "Your News Feed" to something like "Members you Follow" or "Recent Activity of Friends you follow" or "Friend's Activity"...

Yes, I understand that 'Your News Feed' could be a bit less clear to endusers than 'Activity of people you follow' or something along those lines. (But then again, the Phrase Manager is there)

On the one hand I really like how all these overviews are accessible through menu's on Xenforo, so it's not so much in your face. It keeps everything clean and uncluttered and this is one of the many things that I like about Xenforo.

When you look at Facebook for example, you have your Friends Activity always served to you in a long vertical area in the upper right corner. Making things a bit more cluttered/busy, but at the same time more accessible to you. I guess finding a good balance (between a clean UI and accessibility) can be a challenge.

The "Your News Feed' is now indeed only accessible through Your Account, but still in 3 locations:

- Mouseover on your Username (in the XF mainmenu) and in the dropdown there's a link
- Click on that same Username and in the menu on the left side there's a link
- Click on that same Username and in the submenu of the XF mainmenu there's a link

Since you are mentioning the Members page, yes you do have a point that it might also fit there.
Because there's already a link called [Recent activity] and this link comes back (all the way below, so not really visible) in the Your News Feed overview, so maybe a [Your News Feed] would consequentially also fit back there.

Talking about the Member page in itself: I never quite understood why forum platforms are providing this endless (and pretty useless) memberlist. It can be made so much more useful (see here and here), so I hope that Xenforo can change this once and for all in a future version.

Yes, I understand that 'Your News Feed' could be a bit less clear to endusers than 'Activity of people you follow' or something along those lines. (But then again, the Phrase Manager is there)

maybe something like this ?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/profile-links-access-in-sidebar.46125/

Yeah, the news feed is good, but it would be great to filter it down to purely status updates and not every post that someone makes.

This!
That's partly why I suggested the following here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-privacy-settings.46826/

A good compromise would be admin on/off settings for usergroup permissions:
  • Can use Followers system (a less personal option):
    If you follow a member you can get alerts on that member's "public" activity and/or shown in "Your News Feed". Example: Forum posts/topics and resources.
  • Can use Friends system (a more personal option):
    If you request a friendship with a member and that member "approves" it and you become "friends"; you will be able to see that member's profile wall updates and get alerts for those new updates and/or shown in "Your News Feed", see their personal contact info, and be able to send personal messages to that member.
  • Both:
    If you want to allow all options above.
The profile will show all publicly viewable content (username, avatar, recent posts, resources) to members only or guests and members depending on what the admin chooses, a link to follow that member, and a link to request a friendship with that member.

Top Bottom