Lack of interest AJAXify certain elements

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mikey

Just a suggestion, and one for the sake of prettiness, but there are several areas which could be AJAXified, such as the News Feed - it could be like the digg spy and auto update.

With the forum displays, when you click a sorting order, such as sort by title, it requires a pageload, can this not be ajaxified?

Now, I'm not saying "Pageloads are the spawn of the devil" (or am I?) but everything else is so smooth, I think these, even though they are cosmetic, will improve the general usability. :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Personally, I see no need to make sorting of forumdisplay be anything other than a straight request, as it is. There is nothing going on with that page that gets lost on the refresh.

Just a suggestion, and one for the sake of prettiness, but there are several areas which could be AJAXified, such as the News Feed - it could be like the digg spy and auto update.

With the forum displays, when you click a sorting order, such as sort by title, it requires a pageload, can this not be ajaxified?

Now, I'm not saying "Pageloads are the spawn of the devil" (or am I?) but everything else is so smooth, I think these, even though they are cosmetic, will improve the general usability. :)

Also the follow a user could also be ajaxed.

I wouldn't Ajaxify the sorting, personally... I just think it would cause more complication than the benefit it would cause but the News Feed and Follow User action Yes...�

If the list elements use css id's properly and each "cell" is enclosed in proper elements, you can probably resort the display without hitting the server for html at all. Just needs a little jquery code and a json array.

If the list elements use css id's properly and each "cell" is enclosed in proper elements, you can probably resort the display without hitting the server at all. Just needs a little jquery code.

True but when you sort you want to sort ALL not just what is on that page already... So you would have to go to the server and get all before you could sort them...

I
I updated my post.

But still more hastle to create the json production script etc when you can just reload the page, think that for those without Ajax they are still going to have to have the reload option so it is going to double the code for a simple function... Yes looks cool with Ajax but its such a basic feature it doesn't need it.

If you have a large site then bandwidth costs really come into play. Anything that reduces bandwidth and increases responsiveness is good. What common browers do not support AJAX? It seems pretty ubiquitous these days.

If you have a large site then bandwidth costs really come into play. Anything that reduces bandwidth and increases responsiveness is good. What common browers do not support AJAX? It seems pretty ubiquitous these days.

Every browser that doesn't support javascript. And every user that turned it off, won't be able to use ajax in a page.

Could ajaxify the loading of the next page in the thread.

Its something on a lot of sites that when you scroll nearly to the end of the page it starts loading the next set of messages.

Yeah, I think he was talking about never ending pagination or infinite scrolling or whatever they call it. For the record, I'm not much for it, since it makes it hard to link to a given page of the thread.

Top Bottom