[AddonsLab] Post Limit Per Node

[AddonsLab] Post Limit Per Node 2.7.0

No permission to download
Thank you again for such wonderful add-on! I would like to ask if it'd be possible to exclude from the limit multiple replies in the same thread.

For example, assuming a user has a limit of 1 Post each 24 Hours, he should:

• Be able to make 1 post in Thread A
• Not be able to make another post in Thread B because he reached the limit, so he'll have to wait 24 more hours
• Be able to make additional posts in Thread A, if he already replied in it

Thanks again :)

Thank you again for such wonderful add-on! I would like to ask if it'd be possible to exclude from the limit multiple replies in the same thread.

For example, assuming a user has a limit of 1 Post each 24 Hours, he should:

• Be able to make 1 post in Thread A
• Not be able to make another post in Thread B because he reached the limit, so he'll have to wait 24 more hours
• Be able to make additional posts in Thread A, if he already replied in it

Thanks again :)

Thank you for the suggestion. We would definitely consider implementing it, just we are overloaded with projects now and can't work on it now. We will implement it as soon as possible.

Thank you!

That's great to hear! Thank you for your fast reply, looking forward to your finished master piece! Good luck with your other projects as well :)

AddonsLab updated [AddonsLab] Post Limit Per Node with a new update entry:

New permission - Skip limit check if already posted in the thread

In this version, we have implemented a new permission - Skip limit check if already posted in the thread. When the permission is enabled users will be able to post a reply in a thread without any further limitations if they already have a post in that thread.

The permission is per-usergroup and per-node, so it can be customized for an entire usergroup or for some specific nodes only. By default it is disabled and product's behavior is the same as with 2.0.x version.

Please consider...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi all! I'm facing a logical problem that I'm not able to solve alone.
Basically my default usergroup (called registered) have a limitation of 5 replies per 24 hours thanks to Post Limit Per Node. Now I have a second limited usergroup, called leechers, of people able to post 1 reply per 24 hours.
The problem is that the setting of the secondary usergroup is ignored. I'm able to set a promotion and set "leechers" as a secondary group for certain users, but post limitation of leechers is useless, it keeps 5 replies per 24 hours (I suppose because the primary one is always registered).
So I need to limit leecher usergroup in a different way compared to registered usergroup.

What can I do? Thank you in advance.

Hi all! I'm facing a logical problem that I'm not able to solve alone.
Basically my default usergroup (called registered) have a limitation of 5 replies per 24 hours thanks to Post Limit Per Node. Now I have a second limited usergroup, called leechers, of people able to post 1 reply per 24 hours.
The problem is that the setting of the secondary usergroup is ignored. I'm able to set a promotion and set "leechers" as a secondary group for certain users, but post limitation of leechers is useless, it keeps 5 replies per 24 hours (I suppose because the primary one is always registered).
So I need to limit leecher usergroup in a different way compared to registered usergroup.

What can I do? Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the delay, we have somehow missed your reply. The problem you have described is just how XenForo works - if two numeric permissions are set up for the same user via different usergroups, the highest allowed value is taken as the final permission. That's the reason why users can make 5 replies in 24 hours if they belong to that usergroup, even if by another usergroup they are allowed only 1 reply per 24 hours. There is no easy workaround for this problem, unfortunately, so you may have to redefine how your usergroups work (e.g. have a base usergroup shared by everyone without configuring post limit there, one additional usergroup giving users 5 replies per 24 hours, another one giving only 1 reply, so you can make combinations of base usergroup + Usergroup A OR base usergroup + Usergroup B to achieve what you need).

Thank you!

Any chance of getting a feature added that would allow us to specify how many open threads each usergroup can have for specific nodes? That would be incredibly useful.

Hello everyone,

@Joe Link , sorry for the delay with this. The implementation of such a feature is practically like developing another add-on with its own options and implementation. Unfortunately, we are now really busy in ongoing projects, so we don't plan developing another free add-on, if you are interested in a funded project/custom development services feel free to contact us for a quote.

@beepdotpw , sure, we will check the compatibility and update here soon.

Thank you!

I found a small issue with the usability of plugin for end-users. When a user has reached their limit of posting, if they're on the same page where they posted their last message (the message that makes them reach their limit), the "Post reply" box is still visible. When they try to post the next message, the one that makes them go over their limit, they get the "Oops and error occurred" message.

This isn't really friendly because it makes the forum seem broken and they wonder what they did wrong.

This is specifically noticeable when the post limit is 1; people often post back-to-back messages, so this usability issue will occur often for many users.

I suggest an adjustment whereby the "post reply" text area disappear immediately and be replaced with the default "You can't post here for X days X hours". Exactly as what would happen if the user refreshed the page (a refresh doesn't occur on back-to-back posts.

I believe setting "display:none" for ".js-quickReply" after the limit has been reached, and injecting the default "can't post here for X days" message should resolve the issue.

Screenshot below:

I found a small issue with the usability of plugin for end-users. When a user has reached their limit of posting, if they're on the same page where they posted their last message (the message that makes them reach their limit), the "Post reply" box is still visible. When they try to post the next message, the one that makes them go over their limit, they get the "Oops and error occurred" message.

This isn't really friendly because it makes the forum seem broken and they wonder what they did wrong.

This is specifically noticeable when the post limit is 1; people often post back-to-back messages, so this usability issue will occur often for many users.

I suggest an adjustment whereby the "post reply" text area disappear immediately and be replaced with the default "You can't post here for X days X hours". Exactly as what would happen if the user refreshed the page (a refresh doesn't occur on back-to-back posts.

I believe setting "display:none" for ".js-quickReply" after the limit has been reached, and injecting the default "can't post here for X days" message should resolve the issue.

Screenshot below:

View attachment 201516

Thank you for the report. The issue is indeed there, but it is a bit hard to dynamically update the screen immediately after posting. What we can do for sure is changing the message on the second post to specifically tell why they can't post another message. If possible we will also force reloading the page after posting if users hit their limit.

P.S. Whenever you see an issue an add-on please let us know first and let us resolve the problem before submitting a review based on the issue. Simply there is no add-on without any issues, but what we ensure is fast support add-on and fixing of all issues reported, even for free add-ons such as this one. Maybe that's the reason why we didn't have any single 4-star review for about 3 years of working on XenForo.com and we would like to keep it that way.

Thank you!

Thank you for the report. The issue is indeed there, but it is a bit hard to dynamically update the screen immediately after posting. What we can do for sure is changing the message on the second post to specifically tell why they can't post another message. If possible we will also force reloading the page after posting if users hit their limit.

That's a crafty and usable work around. The forced reload would be ideal, but using the existing phrase in the warning message would definitely be an improvement over the generic error message.

P.S. Whenever you see an issue an add-on please let us know first and let us resolve the problem before submitting a review based on the issue.

Very good point, I actually had 5 stars and changed it to 4 because of the usability, but you're right, post first and review later. Removed and will resubmit :)

AddonsLab updated [AddonsLab] Post Limit Per Node with a new update entry:

Redirection after the last post via quick reply form

This version implements a usability fix by redirecting users to the latest post when they make the last post they are allowed based on the current limits. Instead of appearing on the page via AJAX and keeping the quick reply form, the page will now redirect to the latest post and the usual message about the limit will be visible instead of the quick reply form. In case a user reaches the Advanced reply form directly (e.g. via a direct link) they will see the phrase "You have hit the limit on...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom