[AddonFlare] Paid Registrations

[AddonFlare] Paid Registrations 1.8.2

No permission to download
so I couldn't see the ethical issue with someone taking over the add-on,
Is it an ethical or a legal issue? There is certainly a legal issue for any developer taking the software and "repairing" (buffing) or "rewriting"

From Addonflare T & C:

The User may not endeavor to reverse engineer any specific section of the software

But at the same time you could argue the T&C are breached by Addonflare not giving the support which is advertised.

Product licenses include "Regular" support as long as the license is active (not expired).
"Priority/Premium" support is available for purchase as a license extra.
We do not guarantee support for free licenses.
Support is provided during business hours only. Tickets submitted outside of these time frames will be reviewed the following business day.

So although you may have a good legal argument, do you want to risk the potential cost of litigation? Some companies may just "try it on" and even if they lose you (the defendant) may not get compensated.

But I think if you wrote the code from scratch to create a Paid Registration addon , there is no ethical reason you, m shouldn't even if Addonflare was stile developing and supporting. Just because Haynes have a repair manual for land rovers, does make it unethical for me to write my own manual - as long as I write it in my one words and pictures don't just paraphrase theirs (easy with AI).

Is it an ethical or a legal issue? There is certainly a legal issue for any developer taking the software and "repairing" (buffing) or "rewriting"

From Addonflare T & C:

The User may not endeavor to reverse engineer any specific section of the software

But at the same time you could argue the T&C are breached by Addonflare not giving the support which is advertised.

Product licenses include "Regular" support as long as the license is active (not expired).
"Priority/Premium" support is available for purchase as a license extra.
We do not guarantee support for free licenses.
Support is provided during business hours only. Tickets submitted outside of these time frames will be reviewed the following business day.

So although you may have a good legal argument, do you want to risk the potential cost of litigation? Some companies may just "try it on" and even if they lose you (the defendant) may not get compensated.

But I think if you wrote the code from scratch to create a Paid Registration addon , there is no ethical reason you, m shouldn't even if Addonflare was stile developing and supporting. Just because Haynes have a repair manual for land rovers, does make it unethical for me to write my own manual - as long as I write it in my one words and pictures don't just paraphrase theirs (easy with AI).

Good reply. It's outside of my scope, I cannot develop anything other than maybe another stress induced ulcer, but hopefully someone will do something along these lines - cause it is/was a very nice add-on.

BTW @Mr Lucky -- love your site!

I'm not a developer, but I can't see why it can't be updated to be compatible with XF 2.3. Other developers are managing that.

If someone takes it over.

Meantime, since we have a mission-critical need for that add-on, unless there's a drop-in replacement that carries over the same features (or most of them) and supports existing member upgrades, I'll never be upgrading to XF 2.3.

The last time they were active on THEIR site was Feb 20, 2022. :(

Someone should just build a brand new one compatible with 2.3 and onward. I'd buy it. It can be something completely new. No need to reverse engineer.

Yes but would any developer take that risk given that they would get no financial reward.
Self-serving if they are users of the product.

Remember that the present developer is taking money for support/upgrade services and not providing anything beyond a full-performance version that's a couple of years old.

Maybe request PayPal/credit card chargebacks for long-term support contracts if they don't fulfill them?

The last time they were active on THEIR site was Feb 20, 2022. :(

Someone should just build a brand new one compatible with 2.3 and onward. I'd buy it. It can be something completely new. No need to reverse engineer.
Sure but it appears nobody has shown interest so far. I'm surprised there isn't a decent-sized market for one.

AndyB has a paid registration add-on limited to Stripe, saying it would take major work to duplicate Paid Registrations. He knows what he's doing and I doubt he's going to do a major project unless he can allocate the time and have the investment repay itself in higher registrations for his add-ons. I know I wish he'd do it.

AndyB has a paid registration add-on limited to Stripe,
Could be that Stripe oe purely card payments) is the best way forward. PayPal's only of any use to people with a Paypal Account that is in credit and want to offload some of it. Even then do people these days refuse a purchase just because there is no PayPal option?

I think it's getting less and less the case since eBay dropped Paypal.

Yes, but if you've already a roster of paid members who used PayPal to join, that would be a problem. There's clearly no seamless way to convert. Our paid memberships have been active since 2014.

And, yes, you can use PayPal to pay for an eBay purchase. Try checking out sometime. I see a standard PayPal option, which I use occasionally, plus one for PayPal Credit.

I dropped PayPal a year and half ago after their BS was in the spotlight. It might be different for XF admins that have forums dedicated to the web ecosystem, but my sites had zero issue with dropping PayPal and I had many forum members thank me for giving them a non-PayPal option.

XF 2.3 supports expanded PayPal features, so they are hardly going to abandon it.

Again, we have members who signed up with PayPal for monthly/annual/lifetime subscriptions beginning in 2014.

Alas, I don't see any sign that anyone is interested. Then again, if fixing the current add-on to be 2.3 compatible is simple, maybe changing a few lines of code, maybe someone could unofficially advise how without distributing the fix? It's not as if they have any real fear of consequences. I'd do it if I was a developer and could manage the task.

Maybe now is the right opportunity (given the xf version change) to get rid of these no longer maintained addons. Or you can always hire a developer privately who will update it for you and make it compatible with the latest versions of XF.

Then again, if fixing the current add-on to be 2.3 compatible is simple, maybe changing a few lines of code, maybe someone could unofficially advise how without distributing the fix? It's not as if they have any real fear of consequences.
That could work. Either a template edit or modification. If it's that simple it would be great and no fear of legal consequences.

Top Bottom