[AddonFlare] Paid Registrations

[AddonFlare] Paid Registrations 1.8.2

No permission to download
Maybe now is the right opportunity (given the xf version change) to get rid of these no longer maintained addons. Or you can always hire a developer privately who will update it for you and make it compatible with the latest versions of XF.
If someone has an investment in purchasing and using an add-on in a way that delivers income to a forum, this is not easily done. I'm sure most people who ordered the pro version of Paid Registrations didn't know it would be abandoned without notice.

Not everyone has the wherewithal to commission a private add-on, and if people did do that it would hurt the market for paid add-ons available to anyone.

Maybe an unofficial patch? I can't think that the company is going to sue someone who will sell them more product?
My thing is whose going to sue if the company is defunct. If a company goes under, then there's no company to enforce any thought of a potential 'copyright' on intellectual works.

It was always my understanding, with software, that once the company is bye-bye it's abandonware and free game.

Someone is paying for the hosting of the site. Someone is receiving money when the paid versions of the add-ons are ordered. So the company is not technically out of business.

But if money is being taken for products and/or services that aren't being delivered, that's another matter entirely with potential legal complications. Refunds can be requested via chargeback (if it isn't too late), or by request to the developer.

To be fair, there may be perfectly reasonable reasons why no support or response has been provided by the developer in 2 years. It may be a matter of business issues, personal problems (illnesses, etc.). But a response, if one is possible, would surely resolve some things.

I did try to see who hosts the site, but it's protected by CloudFlare.

The domain is registered with GoDaddy, so that might be a source of potential complaints if the developer is taking money and failing to deliver products/services as promised.

Someone is paying for the hosting of the site. Someone is receiving money when the paid versions of the add-ons are ordered. So the company is not technically out of business.
I attempted to register on their forum, but although it says it has emailed me a confirmation link, none ever arrives.
You are saying though that the site's payment system still works? That would indeed be a pretty significant problem and the complaints would (I'd have thought) get the business account suspended with whichever payment handler is being used.

Meanwhile, although I somewhat like the idea of a patch, it's pretty sketchy in terms of legality and the time probably has indeed come for a clean break and a brand new addon. Time to read my DMs...

I may be wrong but that only seems to offer account upgrades to members, while Paid Registration offers account upgrades to GUESTS. Which IME makes a world of difference.
I agree, that just seems to be a better way of styling the existing process.

I agree, that just seems to be a better way of styling the existing process.

Having it displayed at registration, if chosen, and in the manner that AddonFlare's module displays the options (looks are important) along with the fact that you can also allow people to choose their OWN amount of money to support are all great, important, assets that can appeal to a variety of communities. It's super important to mine.

And it's nice to be able to give guests a link to the packages. For example you can post it on your social media accounts and promote it that way to generate income and paid subscribers.

Attachments

• page memberships.webp
    page memberships.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 9
  • account-upgrades.webp
    account-upgrades.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 9
  • upgrade active.webp
    upgrade active.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
I may be wrong but that only seems to offer account upgrades to members, while Paid Registration offers account upgrades to GUESTS. Which IME makes a world of difference.
Agreed, but the with this no longer working with XF 2.3+ and no drop-in replacement available, at least the alternative I mention fills some of the gap.

Top Bottom