Add VigLink Code [Deleted]

That is very strange. Something else must be at play. One thing that bit me about 18 months ago was that I had some outdated coding on one of my sites (long story) and it had a similar effect. Since I have many, many sites feeding into it, I didn't drop to zero, but revenues on that one site were almost to that zero point, like a switch was thrown. Revenues don't drop to zero with no reason whatsoever.

FWIW, the ad blockers are supposed to be leaving the non-intrusive stuff alone (like VigLink), but there are some out there who are paranoid enough that they'll block them anyway.

Are you seeing the rewritten URL when you click on a link and go to Amazon? It'll be fairly long, much longer than a standard URL, and you'll see additional code appended to the end.

Yep, viglink says functionally they have tested numerous URLs and it's fine.. There are always alternatives, viglink came to me in 2011 and I was at the time using another partner. Now I have someone wanting to step into Viglinks place so very cyclic space...

I wonder if this was the cause:

• A new config.php option $config['enableReverseTabnabbingProtection'] has been added to allow you to disable the reverse tabnabbing protection that was added in a recent version. The reverse tabnabbing protection can interfere with some services that manipulate link targets (for example, to include affiliate links). While disabling this removes the protection, the trade off of lost revenue may be worthwhile.
I haven't noticed anything, however, I'm going to ask more about this as I don't need my revenue interrupted now or in the future if any of Viglink's coding changes.

Just seen the above - Rather interesting.

We have income on one of my sites, however all revenue stopped dead around 22nd Feb. I'll double check things are up to date, however might it be related to the above???

I tried to add VigLink to my forum as well, and can't get it to work, neither using the add on or by adding the code manually.

How did you check to see if it was working?

Also, did you make certain that your ad blocker was disabled on the site? They claim to have convinced the default adblock filters to not block them (which is fair to us site owners), but I have a feeling the ad blockers are going back on their deal regardless, or users are finding some of those "paranoia" filters that disable everything they can.

Make certain you have the tabnabbing config set to "false" above, and disable XF's link proxy feature as well. Both can interfere with link rewriting.

I just used the "check" function on the Viglink website, if it could detect it.

Yes, the Adblocker is completely disabled on my site.
I haven't set tabnabbing to "false", where do I do this? Also, where do I disable the proxy feature?

I've rarely had the check function on their site work--I checked two of mine just now where it has been working for years, and it does not detect VL. It'd be better to add a few links, click them, and have them check to see if they have detected the clicks.

Link proxy is disabled by default, I believe. You'll find it under Options -> Messages, about halfway down. Make sure the box is unchecked.

upload_2016-3-17_9-24-30.webp

And, add this to your config.php file:

Code:
$config['enableReverseTabnabbingProtection'] = false;

Thanks @Rudy
Proxy Links is disabled. I tried adding the tabnabbing to my config.php, but after when I tried to reload my forum, I just got a blank page.
My config.php is completely default, no editing done previously.

I took that parameter from my working forum. (Even if you're not on XF 1.5, it shouldn't interfere with anything.)

Disable or remove the line and maybe wait for one of the staff to check in here.

Is there any consensus as to whether or not the tabnabbing code needs to be in the config.php file for Viglink to work?
My Viglink earnings look dismal right now for the days since switching to Xenforo.

I have my Viglink code in the bottom of the Page Container template.

The Viglink site checker doesn't detect the code, but I can see it when I look at the page source.

This is what I have for my config.php:

Code:
<?php

$config['db']['host'] = 'localhost';
$config['db']['port'] = '3306';
$config['db']['username'] = 'xxx';
$config['db']['password'] = 'xxx';
$config['db']['dbname'] = 'xenforo';
$config['enableReverseTabnabbingProtection'] = false;
$config['superAdmins'] = 'xx,xx,xx;

Yes, that tabnabbing code needs to be there to disable the feature that causes the conflict. I found on my sites that the native links were still working, but the inserted links were not. Once I entered that in the config file, it went back to working normally.

I rarely, if ever, have had their site checker work for my Xenforo forums. But if you contact your account rep, they have another way to verify that your links are being modified.

@Chris D Just noticed that it looks like '//api.viglink.com/api' is now being redirected to '//cdn.viglink.com/api'.

Figured I'd let you know for the next version ;)

looks like my VigLink Convert (affiliating existing links) has not been working for the last few weeks. Insert continues to work - is there some modification to this code that is required?

I've added the tab nabbing code to the config file and have had it in for some time but still not affiliating links

looks like my VigLink Convert (affiliating existing links) has not been working for the last few weeks. Insert continues to work - is there some modification to this code that is required?

I've added the tab nabbing code to the config file and have had it in for some time but still not affiliating links

I've actually been having the same exact issue with link conversions. I'll post links, they'll convert, I'll refresh the page, and they won't.

My Viglink revenue has fallen considerably since moving to Xenforo. Not sure why as nothing else has changed. All the links are still in the threads, people are still providing new links.... but instead of seeing regular spikes in my reports, I see a nearly flat line for days until I get one big spike... Never before seen Viglink work like this on Vb. Right now I am earning about half of what I was on VB.

Chris, with vB I had a way to exclude specific usergroups from the insert while still keeping them with the convert. Is this possible with xf?

I'm not sure to be honest. It probably is possible with template conditionals.

This add on was created during a time before template edits were viable. These days I would much sooner recommend someone edits a template to their needs than use an add on for this.

I'm not sure to be honest. It probably is possible with template conditionals.

probably not actually. I'm not looking to disable Viglink convert, just Viglink insert for a few usergroups. As I said, I have the vb addon that did this....

Top Bottom