Implemented Add hCaptcha support

hCaptcha

Hello,

Some of our users for hCaptcha.com have requested XenForo support.

Since XenForo offers a variety of built-in captchas already, it seems like the best answer is to directly integrate hCaptcha as well.

Our API is compatible with reCAPTCHA, so it typically takes only a few minutes to port over existing implementations.

Would you be interested in doing so, or taking patches from us that add support?

Upvote 13
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If you offer an API, why not just create a addon and distribute that as a alternative for people to use should they choose?

If you offer an API, why not just create a addon and distribute that as a alternative for people to use should they choose?

Other captcha services are built in directly, so following that model seems like the right answer to make it equally convenient for our users.

@hCaptcha I signed up on your site, and got put on a waiting list. Is this just an MVP to capture emails?

No: we've been running in beta for a while now with real users. After signup you'll be automatically taken off the waiting list within 1-72 hours depending on the current signup backlog, whether you look like a bot, etc.

They are not a bot as they passed the hCaptcha

I know nothing about this specific implementation, but that is most certainly not true. There are countless CAPTCHA solving services that the bots can hook up to where actual people solve the captchas and then the bot continues doing its thing.

I know nothing about this specific implementation, but that is most certainly not true. There are countless CAPTCHA solving services that the bots can hook up to where actual people solve the captchas and then the bot continues doing its thing.

That's correct. Whether they answer the hCaptcha correctly is just one of many pieces of info combined into a final bot score. That said, particular detection strategies used are not something we discuss in public for obvious reasons.

Other captcha services are built in directly, so following that model seems like the right answer to make it equally convenient for our users.
With all due respect:
I've never heard of your service so far, you are in beta, it takes "forever and a day" to get access to a newly created account ... I can't imagine much interest from XenForo developers to integrate your service right now.
If you want to market your solution - create an Add-on, advertise your platform, grow your userbase.
When there is enough market penetration and thus customer demand, I am pretty sure XF devs will have a look at your service. :cool:

With all due respect:
I've never heard of your service so far, you are in beta, it takes "forever and a day" to get access to a newly created account ... I can't imagine much interest from XenForo developers to integrate your service right now.
If you want to market your solution - create an Add-on, advertise your platform, grow your userbase.
When there is enough market penetration and thus customer demand, I am pretty sure XF devs will have a look at your service. :cool:

Could not have said it better, thanks for posting your thoughts.

it takes "forever and a day" to get access to a newly created account .

Well you could send out the referral link they supply you after signing up to all your friends and family and hope they click on it to move you up faster in the approval queue.

Last edited:
With all due respect:

Well, the reason we're posting here is that sites using XenForo have already asked us to support it.

We'd like to be good advocates for our users and make it simple for them to use us. If the XF devs tell us a plugin is the right answer then perhaps we'll go down that route.

This captcha seems flawed, I have tried it on a test site and no matter what it asks for me to click on, it takes anything clicked on as a valid answer. The same behavior happens on the hCaptcha site.

Another thing, it seems that you only supply dog or cat images to choose for the captcha testing, there needs to be more variety.

This captcha seems flawed, I have tried it on a test site and no matter what it asks for me to click on, it takes anything clicked on as a valid answer. The same behavior happens on the hCaptcha site.

Try opening an incognito window in a different browser and you'll likely see captchas fail as you expect.

What happens behind the scenes is fairly complicated, but we shouldn't give too many public details about that. However, the general idea is hardly new: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_banning

Another thing, it seems that you only supply dog or cat images to choose for the captcha testing, there needs to be more variety.

This is driven by labeling demand. If someone needs a lot of (for example) animal labels quickly and bids above the other jobs in the system then their questions tend to be more common, and their labels complete sooner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom