A little doubts after buy

dbembibre

Hi to all, i have a large community, 9 millions of posts, 40GB of database with myisam engine and around 2000 concurrent users all the time. I have 4 servers with memcached, xcache.

My forums still in vb3.x series because and as many of the users that live here, migrate to 4 series is not in my plans.

My doubts are related to the following things:
Are the consumption of memory, cpu, etc similars to vb3 ??
Is Xen ready to red mysql results from a memcached server ?
Can i make use them of xcache for caching templates ?
Work xen ok with nginx ?
How are maked the url rewritings, with rewrite engine because im interested in make compatible with mine url rewrites of vBSEO ?
Anyone here like George the help to solve performance problems :) ?
Any have a large implementation of xenforo in a large community ?
Any way to reuse my old vbulletin theme and not make a new one from scratch ?
I guess so that i can migrate the data from vB to Xen ?

I think that is all :) thanks for the replys

> Are the consumption of memory, cpu, etc similars to vb3 ??

Kier and Mike are obsessive about performance. From what I have seen it uses the same if not fewer resources. But I don't have a formal comparison.

> Is Xen ready to red mysql results from a memcached server ?
> Can i make use them of xcache for caching templates ?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/speed-up-your-board-caching.5699/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tip-use-apc.6456/

> Work xen ok with nginx ?

I searched this forum and found some people running on nginx.

> How are maked the url rewritings, with rewrite engine because im interested in make compatible with mine url rewrites of vBSEO ?

The standard vB3 -> xF rewrites should work in conjuction:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.5030/

> Anyone here like George the help to solve performance problems :) ?

Good old George :D. I don't know of anyone quite like George over here, though there are many knowledgeable people.

> Any have a large implementation of xenforo in a large community ?

Hmm. I am not aware of any large forums like yours that have gone public yet. The software is still in early beta so a lot of people are still in testing.

> Any way to reuse my old vbulletin theme and not make a new one from scratch ?

Not so much. The two style systems are very different. You will need to remake your style, but you can use your current vBulletin style as a point of reference (e.g. copying over layout to the new templates).

> I guess so that i can migrate the data from vB to Xen ?

Yes there is a vB3 importer built in:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Import External Datap

Thanks to all, great news to me, now i have a little more clear my doubts, i hope migrate my community the next month or when xenforo change to RC.
WRT the performance i see that people like ragtek is here to exchange knowleadge about performance and tweaking :D
I plan to migrate the database data to this new forum format, and change my myisam engine to xtradb, i guess so that is posible because xtradb is a port of the innodb engine.

Hi to all, i have a large community, 9 millions of posts, 40GB of database with myisam engine and around 2000 concurrent users all the time. I have 4 servers with memcached, xcache.

it's bad idea to use any beta or rc.. I suggest you to wait for Final version :)

btw, I've honda and i love it, may I still visit your website :)

and, your site is really fast. very very fast.. 9m posts, 40gb db.. nice speed.

As to your style, your header will be easy, your statusicons will be a bit harder as you have different ones for many of your boards. XenForo uses one set at this time for all of them. You can change them but all the forums use all the same set. Someone may make a mod/addon to change that later one.

I'm not sure what kind of plan Danny uses, but hosting prices differ quite significantly. And if you are technical you can do a lot of things yourself and save a fair amount. $400 would be rather cheap for hosting a 8,5 million posts big board (with backup server etc.). But like I said it depends on the kind of support you want to have, support is expensive.

As to your style, your header will be easy, your statusicons will be a bit harder as you have different ones for many of your boards. XenForo uses one set at this time for all of them. You can change them but all the forums use all the same set. Someone may make a mod/addon to change that later one.

That can be achieved very easily by adding the forum id as part of the status icon image name. :)

I'm not sure what kind of plan Danny uses, but hosting prices differ quite significantly. And if you are technical you can do a lot of things yourself and save a fair amount. $400 would be rather cheap for hosting a 8,5 million posts big board (with backup server etc.). But like I said it depends on the kind of support you want to have, support is expensive.

What do you think it would cost for a 9 mil post board?

Top Bottom