1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Xarcell, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

I have a few questions about xenforo, before I make a switch.

1.| What is the permission system like? Can I restrict boards and content via age?

2.| What kind of template system does it have?

3.| Would it be possible to make the first post of a topic look different from replies?

4.| Does the editor allow floats or table formatting?(I didn't see any when making this topic)
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

1. yes you can restrict forums in a variety of ways, if you know the age of a person (that is the hard part) you could have them in a group that cannot see certain forums.

2. It has the XenForo template system. :) I would recommend viewing some of the tutorials in the "have you seen" forum for more information.

3. Making the first post look diffrernt than subsequent posts would require a modification - modifications seem to be being made quite quickly, you may want to look around the forums.

4. I *believe* that would require a custom BBCode, and those are not implemented yet (Beta 1 was only released a few days ago).
  3. Xarcell

On question number one, I reckon that isn't really what I was looking for. I figured there was group permissions, but it would take too much effort to place every single person into a group manually. I was kind looking for something along the lines of: age required on registeration, and automatic placement into a group, or just normal age restriction.

I'm looking to make a dating/romance site based around a forum. Currently using SMF 2.0 RC3, development is a tad too slow. It's way buggy, and personally I think SMF is falling apart. XenForo would save me from ordering a few modifications for what I need, but I don't want to invest in a software if I know I can't get the modification made to add to it.
  4. Xarcell

Is XenForo procedural programmed or object oriented?
  5. Xarcell

Also, does XenForo have any SSI?
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Yes, you can set the minimum age to join the forum, as per a fellow moderator I just asked. I have not tested that though.

Keep in mind that there is no SMF importer at this time. I have no further details on that.

XF is object oriented programming.

"Also, does XenForo have any SSI?" - no it does not.
  7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

SSI - Side Server Includes? Nope. But you could probably do PHP Includes :D
  8. Xarcell

I'm glad to hear it's written with OOP in mind.

I make themes. If I were to create themes based off the default(but heavily modified), would I be able to call it my own and sell it?(maybe around $10).

How long has XenForo been in development?
  9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Yes you can.
  10. Green Cat

Green Cat Active Member

About a year
  11. ManagerJosh

Probably less than that :p
  12. Xarcell

What about the pending lawsuit? How will that effect everyone? I'm not a troll, I'm just asking. I'm thinking of using XenForo on one of my sites, so I did some research, looking for reviews, when I found several blogs speaking of it.

I'll probably end up getting it regardless though. I'm tired of SMF.
  13. ManagerJosh

Honestly, I think Internet Brands is doing nothing more but a scare tactic to intimidate Mike, Kier and Ashley, as well as make potential customers nervous.
  14. Xarcell

That's what I was thinking. Some of the articles actually mentioned that, that it was a scare tactic to stop sales...
  15. Xarcell

I have another question that's kinda important to me.

SMF has a feature that allows you to apply a different theme per board. Does xenForo have something like this?
  16. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure that you can select different themes per forums. A staff member or someone from the community will confirm this but I'm sure you can.
  17. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's correct.

Separate styles per node (forum/page) can be set, which override the style selected by the member.

18. Xarcell

Only the style? You mean CSS? No HTML?
  19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

You have the option of setting completely different styles per node - e.g. Fixed Width Style for the Off Topic forum, Enhancement Disabled for the Pre-Sales and Feedback forum, etc.
  20. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

You mean procedural or MVC ? (php is object oriented nowadays anyways :D)

So it is not procedural it uses MVC architecture.
    And the answer to your questions is YES to all.