A few questions

Xarcell

I have a few questions about xenforo, before I make a switch.

1.| What is the permission system like? Can I restrict boards and content via age?

2.| What kind of template system does it have?

3.| Would it be possible to make the first post of a topic look different from replies?

4.| Does the editor allow floats or table formatting?(I didn't see any when making this topic)

1. yes you can restrict forums in a variety of ways, if you know the age of a person (that is the hard part) you could have them in a group that cannot see certain forums.

2. It has the XenForo template system. :) I would recommend viewing some of the tutorials in the "have you seen" forum for more information.

3. Making the first post look diffrernt than subsequent posts would require a modification - modifications seem to be being made quite quickly, you may want to look around the forums.

4. I *believe* that would require a custom BBCode, and those are not implemented yet (Beta 1 was only released a few days ago).

On question number one, I reckon that isn't really what I was looking for. I figured there was group permissions, but it would take too much effort to place every single person into a group manually. I was kind looking for something along the lines of: age required on registeration, and automatic placement into a group, or just normal age restriction.

I'm looking to make a dating/romance site based around a forum. Currently using SMF 2.0 RC3, development is a tad too slow. It's way buggy, and personally I think SMF is falling apart. XenForo would save me from ordering a few modifications for what I need, but I don't want to invest in a software if I know I can't get the modification made to add to it.

On question number one, I reckon that isn't really what I was looking for. I figured there was group permissions, but it would take too much effort to place every single person into a group manually. I was kind looking for something along the lines of: age required on registeration, and automatic placement into a group, or just normal age restriction.

I'm looking to make a dating/romance site based around a forum. Currently using SMF 2.0 RC3, development is a tad too slow. It's way buggy, and personally I think SMF is falling apart. XenForo would save me from ordering a few modifications for what I need, but I don't want to invest in a software if I know I can't get the modification made to add to it.
Yes, you can set the minimum age to join the forum, as per a fellow moderator I just asked. I have not tested that though.

Keep in mind that there is no SMF importer at this time. I have no further details on that.

XF is object oriented programming.

"Also, does XenForo have any SSI?" - no it does not.

I'm glad to hear it's written with OOP in mind.

I make themes. If I were to create themes based off the default(but heavily modified), would I be able to call it my own and sell it?(maybe around $10).

How long has XenForo been in development?

What about the pending lawsuit? How will that effect everyone? I'm not a troll, I'm just asking. I'm thinking of using XenForo on one of my sites, so I did some research, looking for reviews, when I found several blogs speaking of it.

I'll probably end up getting it regardless though. I'm tired of SMF.

I have another question that's kinda important to me.

SMF has a feature that allows you to apply a different theme per board. Does xenForo have something like this?

I'm quite sure that you can select different themes per forums. A staff member or someone from the community will confirm this but I'm sure you can.

Top Bottom