[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki)

[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki) 1.3.9a

No permission to download
Just making sure everyone knows that XenCarta has ... Discussions ! (ie. What's New exposure to wiki articles).

I sure like all those arrows and pointers, but cannot see either the discussion tab nor the way to add to a thread on my edit page!

Maybe this is one of those simple features which is too obvious and I cannot see?

Maybe because my wiki is hidden and only admins can see or use it?

Where are the Tabs ?
Version 1.3.8 CHANGELOG

This is a huge update; if you haven't already; consider a donation, or buying the branding removal!
  • Attachments and History for a page have been added to "tabs".
  • Added tables for page watch preferences, and page read records.
  • Added a daily cronjob for cleaning up outdated page read records.
  • Admins can now create threads for pages on the edit screen.
  • Users now have the ability to "watch" (re: subscribe) to any page. This is pretty much exactly the same as watching a thread. They can receive alerts, and if they choose, they can have an email notification.
  • A check has been put in to prevent malicious users from editing media in which they did not have permissions.
  • Added some missing phrases.

I'm using 1.3.9.

Again, this may be due to having it behind closed doors.
Yep, I see - it's in the options and you have to specify a forum. I will try it - not sure you can do it after the fact....will report back.

Yeah, that works - sets up a full discussion thread in a forum, but that thread essentially becomes a post with the wiki entry as the first one.

In an ideal world, we'd have two options.....one being a simple commenting under the wiki entry (hidden completely from the forums and limited - with options to disallow images, size, etc.) and the other when a full discussion is warranted.

I haven't experimented, but the idea as-is is probably to make that discussion thread node a forum which is not visible in the node list - so it is only reached via the wiki entry.

This is really great stuff Jaxel. I hope my mods OK my moving the old EE wiki to it...

In an ideal world, we'd have two options.....one being a simple commenting under the wiki entry (hidden completely from the forums)
Under what scenario would you use that ?
The wiki item integration into the forum action (what's new) is the key breakthrough with the [Discussion] Tab :)

Our wiki tends to be pretty fixed entries from a relative few. Maybe some pics and PDF's of an old model of a stove. Comments are more of a one-way and limited street than a full discussion....like "Hey, BTW, you spelled the name of the town wrong".
Or "email me, I have a PDF to add and don't know how to upload it and the file size is too big"

History tells me that only a few - maybe 5-10 people out of 25K, will actually use the wiki to write and edit. We use it for things that don't quite make the grade of "articles" and also history of our business, etc.

I think hiding the forum where the discussion takes place may accomplish the same thing....but you do notice that when in the discussion tab, you have effectively left the wiki menu (breadcrumb)? So you are moved to the forum menu system....my comments suggestion would keep the user in the wiki menu system.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the Wiki tab from the menus? I am testing the wiki, but the tab shows for all members!

I am sure this will be fairly simple for an experienced xenforo user to answer. Currently I have Xencarta downloaded as a wiki on my site. My wiki isn't so great looking so I started looking around for templates. I found this source and got started on following the directions to create a template for a biography block.

However I am fairly new to xenforo so in the thread they do not discuss how to implement these templates into the wiki. In fact I do not really know how to make use of a template at all if I were to create my own custom ones even.

Is there anyone that could get me started or point me in the right direction? I just don't know what else to do after creating and saving the templates.

Top Bottom