• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the following things I need out of this product. I know it will do some of what I mention but I don't think it can do all of them. Can it be modded to do the things in my list that it cannot currently do.

1. I would like to be able to have an index of the articles that would be positioned on the left side. If a certain item is clicked on the index only the items I have put in that particular category would be seen on the front page.
I would have to be able to assign each article with a category that shows up on the index.

2. I would like to be able to change the order on the articles fairly easily. Possibly be assigning it an article number.

3. I would like the articles to be in two columns.

Article 1 Article 2
Article 3 Article 4
Article 5 Article 6

4. I would like all the articles to be promoted from a forum thread.

5. I would want to be the only one that can promote a thread to an article.

6. Comments in an article would appear both as a comment to the article and as a post in the thread. Also all posts in the thread would appear as a comment in the article and in the thread.

What parts cannot be done at this time and can those things be done?
1. Cannot be done. This is not a CMS, this is a portal. However, I wrote XenCarta (Lite Wiki) to fill this same need I had for myself. It doesn't have the "tight" integration that you specified; but it is an article system. What you can do is write a wiki page (Article), then use the [wiki=full] code to embed it into a thread (this will give a comment thread to the article), then you can use the promote thread feature of XenPorta. You can make wiki pages to act as categories and use those as your category navigation. I know there are a few sites out there that already do this. http://www.terapvp.com/ for one.

2. News articles are sorted by their promote date. You could theoretically organize your portal based on promotion dates.

3. Not possible.

4. Explained previously

5. Promotes are handled through permissions.

6. This mod does not differentiate between news articles and threads; all news articles ARE threads, so there is no fragmentation between articles and thread they are promoted from. I would like to remind you, this mod is NOT a CMS; it is a portal.

Jason, I'm looking at your portal on 8wayrun.com and I have 3 questions for you -

1. How did you remove the upper breadcrumb from the portal but not the forum?
2. How did you remove the Flexile background from your portal so that the pattern background shows between the blocks on your portal?
3. Is it possible to add a pattern background like yours to the portal only, and not the forum?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. :)

I am not the mighty Jaxel but I am here and have some answers for ya...

1. ACP > Options > XenPorta > check the box Break Out of Context Container

2. Not certain how Jaxel did it. I did it with this line added to EXTRA.css
Code:
 #content { background-color: transparent;}

3. Yes. You can always make a second style and force the page to always use that style. There may be other ways I am not aware of, which I would like to hear about because I prefer a conditional rather then a new style, but this is one way to get it done.[/code]

Hi guys,

were having a slight problem when we want to add more forums to the recent threads module, getting this error:

Server Error

Mysqli statement execute error : Data too long for column 'setting_value' at row 1

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in EWRporta/Model/Settings.php at line 68
EWRporta_Model_Settings->updateSettings() in EWRporta/ControllerPublic/Portal.php at line 80
EWRporta_ControllerPublic_Portal->actionEdit() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/oldsscom/domains/old-skool-gamers.com/public_html/index.php at line 13

Anyone got a solution to this? :)

The link has to work. Can you offer a full screenshot of what you see? Please include the URL you are using in the shot.

If the link does not take you to the modules section then one of two things is wrong.

1. You get a permissions error, which means you need to go into the ACP and grant the account you are using permissions to administrate XenPorta

2. You get a page not found error, which means you are using the wrong path. The path depends on your "Set Index as Controller" setting for XenPorta in the ACP. If you have it checked (which most people do) then the path would be your site's URL + install directory + /portal/modules.

For the official XF site if they installed XenPorta the path to administrate modules would be http://xenforo.com/community/portal/modules If the "Set Index as Controller" option was chosen then *I think* the path would be http://xenforo.com/community/forum/portal/modules I am not 100% certain on this last part because I don't use that option.

If the path doesn't work the go into the ACP and confirm you have XenPorta installed.

The correct path i found is:
http://www.gamingonlinux.com/chill/index.php?portal/modules

Something i've noticed, it doesn't seem to show my moderators display picture on news items, but it shows mine, why is that?

Edit > Ah it uses a picture in the post if there is one :)

Is there any easy way to just do simple html blocks? Rather than create a full module if i just want a small block with a couple static links?

Is there any easy way to just do simple html blocks? Rather than create a full module if i just want a small block with a couple static links?
Anything you want to see on the portal is displayed in a block.

There is code for an HTML block in this thread around ?30 pages back.

Yes
this is what I did for all my html blocks

HTML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<module>
  <module_name>blahblah</module_name>
  <module_cache>+7 day</module_cache>
  <module_settings/>
  <module_template><![CDATA[<xen:include template="Templatename" />]]></module_template>
</module>

Than just make the blank template and add your code

I am not the mighty Jaxel but I am here and have some answers for ya...

2. Not certain how Jaxel did it. I did it with this line added to EXTRA.css
Code:
 #content { background-color: transparent;}

3. Yes. You can always make a second style and force the page to always use that style. There may be other ways I am not aware of, which I would like to hear about because I prefer a conditional rather then a new style, but this is one way to get it done.[/code]

ooops almost missed this post. Thanks Oracle for the help!
On #2, is that making the background transparent on the portal only? That's the only place I want the transparent background.

On #2, is that making the background transparent on the portal only? That's the only place I want the transparent background.
2. part of #1

No, that code works for the whole site.

If you wanted a change on the portal only, then the suggestion for #3 would work. Make a style and force the portal page to be seen only in that style.

It is my understanding EXTRA.css cannot access variables so you can't wrap the code in a conditional. If there is another way to do it, I am not aware of how.

2. part of #1
Thanks Jaxel, but what do you mean part of #1?

Also had this question:
3. Is it possible to add a pattern background like yours to the portal only, and not the forum?

Thanks Jaxel, but what do you mean part of #1?

Also had this question:

Nevermind, I got it! Oracle, Jaxel's reply to my post covers #1 and 2. :)

Just need to know about #3 now, Jaxel.

How many forums are selected? Settings are restricted to 255 characters long. If you've reached that limit, you must be selecting hundreds of forums.
Do I have to take in mind separator character? If so, 85 x 3 = 255. Then supports 85-90 forums, not hundreds.

Thanks.

Salud2

OK I installed, Gave myself and my usergroup permission but still can not find where to edit in the ACP, Also I am starting out with a blank page. I am using Flexin theme and have it enabled for your mods. What am I missing?

OK I installed, Gave myself and my usergroup permission but still can not find where to edit in the ACP, Also I am starting out with a blank page. I am using Flexin theme and have it enabled for your mods. What am I missing?
Go to options and scroll to the bottom to tweak the portal settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom