1. Cannot be done. This is not a CMS, this is a portal. However, I wrote XenCarta (Lite Wiki) to fill this same need I had for myself. It doesn't have the "tight" integration that you specified; but it is an article system. What you can do is write a wiki page (Article), then use the [wiki=full] code to embed it into a thread (this will give a comment thread to the article), then you can use the promote thread feature of XenPorta. You can make wiki pages to act as categories and use those as your category navigation. I know there are a few sites out there that already do this. http://www.terapvp.com/ for one.Here are the following things I need out of this product. I know it will do some of what I mention but I don't think it can do all of them. Can it be modded to do the things in my list that it cannot currently do.
1. I would like to be able to have an index of the articles that would be positioned on the left side. If a certain item is clicked on the index only the items I have put in that particular category would be seen on the front page.
I would have to be able to assign each article with a category that shows up on the index.
2. I would like to be able to change the order on the articles fairly easily. Possibly be assigning it an article number.
3. I would like the articles to be in two columns.
Article 1 Article 2
Article 3 Article 4
Article 5 Article 6
4. I would like all the articles to be promoted from a forum thread.
5. I would want to be the only one that can promote a thread to an article.
6. Comments in an article would appear both as a comment to the article and as a post in the thread. Also all posts in the thread would appear as a comment in the article and in the thread.
What parts cannot be done at this time and can those things be done?
2. News articles are sorted by their promote date. You could theoretically organize your portal based on promotion dates.
3. Not possible.
4. Explained previously
5. Promotes are handled through permissions.
6. This mod does not differentiate between news articles and threads; all news articles ARE threads, so there is no fragmentation between articles and thread they are promoted from. I would like to remind you, this mod is NOT a CMS; it is a portal.