• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to make the RecentSlider grab from different forums than recent news??? This would be amazing as currently to get the content I want in the Recent Slider I have to pollute my RecentNews Block with stuff I don't want.
this is something i would love to see. i could use the slider for featured content and use 'recent news' for vanilla news items.

News Source Forums is configurable in the RecentNews module.

The problem is that the RecentNews Forums is configurable but the RecentSlider just looks at threads that have been promoted or and in one of the forums set by RecentNews... So this doesn't allow you to put different content in your recent slider to your recentnews...

Currently my only way around it is to manually promote the threads I want in the recent slider and set the date to like 1990 so it is right at the bottom of the list and so doesn't get seen!

The impact on speed of this mod.

The total size if go to the forum directly: 20425 byts
The total size if go to portal: 499357 byte.
This result in load speed of 108 Sec. with 56K modem.

Have to take some measure to optimize it.

http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Web Page Speed Report

URL: http://exchristian.info/community/forum/
Title: ����雓
Date: Report run on Fri Sep 9 00:05:35EDT2011

Diagnosis

Global Statistics

Total HTTP Requests: 18
Total Size: 20425 bytes

Object Size Totals

Object typeSize (bytes)Download @ 56K (seconds)Download @ T1 (seconds)
HTML: 12632 2.72 0.27
HTML Images: 0 0.00 0.00
CSS Images: 0 0.00 0.00
Total Images: 0 0 0
Javascript: 7793 2.55 1.04
CSS: 0 0.00 0.00
Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00
Other: 0 0.00 0.00

Web Page Speed Report

URL: http://exchristian.info/community/
Title: ����雓
Date: Report run on Fri Sep 9 00:24:35EDT2011
Diagnosis

Global Statistics

Total HTTP Requests: 51
Total Size: 499357 bytes
Object Size Totals

Object typeSize (bytes)Download @ 56K (seconds)Download @ T1 (seconds)
HTML: 13601 2.91 0.27
HTML Images: 88119 19.76 2.67
CSS Images: 27001 11.58 6.34
Total Images: 115120 31.34 9.01
Javascript: 341096 69.18 3.01
CSS: 29540 6.29 0.56
Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00
Other: 0 0.00 0.00

The impact on speed of this mod.

The total size if go to the forum directly: 20425 byts
The total size if go to portal: 499357 byte.
This result in load speed of 108 Sec. with 56K modem.

Have to take some measure to optimize it.

http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
I believe you are reading these stats wrong... The total size and speed with the portal INCLUDES the time it takes to download all images and javascripts on the page. The reason why the forum directly loads so quick is because its so barebones.

If you read the bottom:
TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 16787 bytes, which less than 50K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your HTML to display content in under 10 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.

While it may take 108 seconds to load all the images and javascript, it really loads the HTML of the page instantly and moves on from there. Also take note that the majority of the loading time comes from external javascript such as twitter, facebook and especially google +1 (which is notoriously slow).

Can we run multipule instances of this plugin on one xenforo installation?

Example:

abc.com > Portal with its own design and content, separate from xyz.com
xyz.com > Portal with its own design sharing the same database and installation as abc.com, but only shows xyz content on the xyz portal.

I would gladly donate a few hundred dollars for this kind of support!

Almost what xenPorta does when you enable article view? But without the rest of the post then converted to look like comments instead of posts?

I wasn't even aware that option was there! :eek:
But, I'm with ArnyVee on this one... I'd love to specify a forum to have it displayed like that independently of running XenPorta.

Cezz, I hadn't noticed that 'article view' option before. LOL

That looks pretty good and may do the trick. But, we'd need an option for those that do not use xenPorta. So, maybe that can be adapted. :)

I think alot of people would love Article View as a standalone addon.
Easy to do ?

Article View in 1.4.1

Digital Doctor... there is no purpose in that... XenPorta already does it. I think a lot of people don't realise that you DONT HAVE TO USE THE PORTAL in XenPorta.

Just uncheck the following options:
  • Set as Index Controller
  • Show Navigation Tab
Done. A few people already do this; they use XenPorta not as a portal, but instead as a sidebar widget framework. What people are asking for is the EXACT same thing XenPorta does... just without the portal page itself... they still need the module framework; which is what XenPorta really is.

I think alot of people would like just the style.
:)
It's cool anyway.
No, they don't. They think all they want is the style. But then when you actually get down to it, they are all going to say "this needs a sidebar too". And before you know it... you're looking at XenPorta, but without the portal page.

And as I said before, the portal page can already be disabled.

No, they don't. They think all they want is the style. But then when you actually get down to it, they are all going to say "this needs a sidebar too". And before you know it... you're looking at XenPorta, but without the portal page.

10ynvwi.gif

Yea. :) Definitely the Style + Sidebar.

recently the twitter widget has started showing unrelated yet seemingly popular tweets/retweets.
'top tweets' is disabled, dumped cache, yet they are still there.
anyone else experience this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom