6 months between releases

imthebest

Hi guys I have been investigating about the release cycle of xenForo and found something interesting: 1.2 was released on Jul 30, 2013 and the first HYS for 1.3 was posted on Dec 10, 2013 so it means that in less than 6 months xenForo started to give us teasers of their new features (during this period they appear to work on RM and ES).

1.3 was released on Mar 11, 2014 so do you think that we'll start seeing the next HYS for xenForo before Sep, 2014? I personally think that 1.4 will be the last release of the 1.x series and then they will start working on 2.0

Why are people so fixated on seeing 2.0?

I'm just going to quote @Brogan here:
It has ever been thus.

It's worth noting however, that 2.x would be a first point release which is a major change.
There would likely (definitely) be breaking changes.
Many styles and add-ons would need to be rewritten.

I suspect some people just want to see a first point release for the sake of it, without actually understanding the reason for it.

I am definitely NOT looking forward to a 2.0

I don't want my add-ons to break, having to code again some things because they are using whatever the new crazy paradigm and libraries are. Right now I am at that sweet spot in which I have the functionality that I need, on an extremely stable product, with new add-ons coming out every two weeks.

A major release is that .. major. And potentially splits the ecosystem in 1.0 and 2.0.

The software is hardly outdated, and there is such a thing as not fixing what is not broken. A faster flow of 1.x releases is what we need.

I hate updates. They break everything. Themes. Addons. Custom code. EVERYTHING. You end up shutting your site for several hours just to get things back on track to open shop again and be welcomed with a bag of bugs.

I really do hope that if they ever do such a huge update that they somehow make it self adapting in which the majority of addons, themes and such 'adapt' to the new code. If that is possible then xF would have a truly remarkable piece of software. None of the other competitors do that. IPB 4.0 breaks everything in it's entity, that sucks.

I hate updates. They break everything. Themes. Addons. Custom code. EVERYTHING. You end up shutting your site for several hours just to get things back on track to open shop again and be welcomed with a bag of bugs.

What are you talking about? Not sure what add-ons or themes you are using, as the majority here have easily been usable after all but 1 XenForo update.

I really do hope that if they ever do such a huge update that they somehow make it self adapting in which the majority of addons, themes and such 'adapt' to the new code. If that is possible then xF would have a truly remarkable piece of software. None of the other competitors do that. IPB 4.0 breaks everything in it's entity, that sucks.
That's why you should have a test site and perform the upgrade there first, after checking with any add-ons you use if there's an update or if they work with the new version of Xenforo. That way you can iron out any issues before upgrading your live site.

You do realise what you're suggesting is impossible?

A man can simply dream :love: But just think about it, that would be the future of development.

What are you talking about? Not sure what add-ons or themes you are using, as the majority here have easily been usable after all but 1 XenForo update.

I wasn't really talking about my experience with XenForo, in the past with IPB, it used to be a nightmare to upgrade. A large majority of things would just break (especially themes).

people just enjoy in 1.3.1 long way to 1.4 and 2.0

There's no rush as long as the current software is stable. The only time there would be a need to rush things is if there were a major bug or exploit.

I really don't care when the next release comes, when it's done is ok. I'm ok with small release that fix bugs or add small functionality (NodeAsTabs!! Hint Hint Hint) that are now very popular addons which should be included in the software. All good things come to those who wait.

Just to make a point here, that XF 2.0 wouldn't see any sunlight in the next 2 years or so.. part of it because there has been barely one year of constant developing due to the lawsuit (+ 1-1.5 years before that, about 2.5 total).

To compare to other softwares:

vB 3 was released March 2004 --> vB 4 on December 2009 --> vB 5 on February 2013 (4-5 years cycle)

IPB 2 was released on Sep 2004 --> PB 3 on June 2009 ---> IPB 4 (probably) Q2 2014 ((4-5 years cycle)

phpBB 1 was released December 2000 --> phpBB 2 on April 2002 --> phpBB 3 on December 2007 (2nd cycle ~4 years)

So yeah, I don't see any XF 2.0 before Q4, 2015 - 2016.

Reactions: Jay
That was my experience with IP.Board 3.x.1, 3.x.2, 3.x.3, ect.. ect.. The smallest update would break EVERYTHING or would require EVERYTHING to be updated (sometimes even re-installed).

However with XenForo and with 174 add-ons installed, my update took less than 5 minutes to complete with no (zero) need to update, patch, or fix anything.
Capture.webp

In terms of code base or features?

A first point release is focussed on the first point, not the second.

Which is why I made the comment on the other thread about there being a lack of understanding as to what a first point release is for.
The consumer expectation is little of both

The developer expectation though understands that primarily (usually) a 1st point release to be code base (usually).

Top Bottom