6 months between releases

I've never even considered a Xenforo 2.0. If they are working on it though, maybe that's what stuff like a navigation manager and a widget framework is being developed for.

I am definitely NOT looking forward to a 2.0

I don't want my add-ons to break, having to code again some things because they are using whatever the new crazy paradigm and libraries are. Right now I am at that sweet spot in which I have the functionality that I need, on an extremely stable product, with new add-ons coming out every two weeks.

A major release is that .. major. And potentially splits the ecosystem in 1.0 and 2.0.

The software is hardly outdated, and there is such a thing as not fixing what is not broken. A faster flow of 1.x releases is what we need.
I hope they continue with 1.x releases while planning architecture for 2.0.

There is a fundamental architecture problem that will continue to make the developer/designer lives miserable. There is no API.

There are two schools of thought...

A) Make everything open so anybody can edit (extend) anything. This is the path XenForo has taken.

B) Smaller classes with clear interfaces and responsibilities. You cannot extend anything, but instead you can pass in different objects via dependency injection.

The problem with the current approach, being that everything is open, is they cannot promise any sort of backwards compatibility. What is safe to extend? Nothing. What do we need to extend to make add-ons? Everything. While it makes it very easier in the short term to develop add-ons, it makes it very unpredictable about what will work when an update comes out.

We have access to every protected variable (and there no private methods or members that I can think of), so we have full access to the internals, with the caveat that we can't actually rely on them. Not only can we not rely on them, we can't rely on other developers messing things up either.

It also means the surface area of the API (or lack of API) is the entire code-base.

This problem is deeply baked into XenForo and cannot be remedied in its current state. But instead, there are a few ways to mitigate the damage of this.

1) Set a level of backwards compatibility that you want to support for each release level. What can we count on between patches? (1.3.x) What can we count on between minor versions? (1.x) That's really all that matters. It also gives the thousands of admins that rely on those plug-ins some peace of mind.

2) Announce BC breaks with each release, especially noting the ones that break the above pattern. It affects every single admin that has installed an add-on.

Doing this properly would add a ton of complexity to the product planning and release process. But it would also guarantee (or enable) the entire ecosystem to run in harmony. No fear about updates for neither developers nor admins.

I don't know about you guys but I am pretty satisfied with the current state of things. My community wasn't at first because we had a lot of missing functionality compared to when we used IPB or vB however they've adapted and we've used all these fantastic add-ons available to narrow the gap as far as possible.

I believe that XenForo shouldn't over complicate what comes out of the package which is a beautifully written and crafted basic forum software. So that, people like me and everyone else here can complicate it with their own preference of add-ons. This will keep the price tag of XenForo down (hopefully) which draws people in.

The only thing I miss from IPB was their nexus system (shop) which was a remarkable piece of software but I am sure that one day, that gap will be filled too. :love:

I think we all agree that any major first point updates would be a huge change. Secure and bug free are the main things i looked for when i bought my XF license and never looked back. I like the mindset of the developers here and am happy with how the releases are done.

Hello,

I started with 1.2.4, upgraded to 1.2.5 and 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 a few weeks ago. Every upgrade was tested on a backup system. Every upgrade went smooth and made no problems (except some mismatches in respct to two or three styles nobody uses right now).

I have been moderating on VB boards for years, and either the admins didn't upgrade at all, or they made a real fuzz about all the work and time and problems upgrading VB caused.

From that point of view I like XF, and I am happy with the features I "bought". I see that there are other people who like or need additional features, but I am very happy with XF and I do not need an upgrade every six month (even if it is so painless as I wrote two paragraphs before).

I would rather see FAST fixes if security problems were encountered, because I think this is much more important that the system you are running is stable and secure.

@Mike is very quiet... he's not fixing bugs with the speed that he used to have before... this means that he's working HARD in the next version of xenForo!

Amazon S3 support is coming to XenForo and I know this because Mike commented in a post that he was finding a way to make attachments work with Amazon S3. I personally want a content management system and I 'believe' that Kier is developing it; while Mike's taking care of the bug fixes and smaller features.

I believe we'll see HYS in THIS month itself.

I doubt about a HYS for this month, however the next HYS is most likely related to the RM or ES not xenForo itself :(

It could mean we broke his fingers following an argument about the correct color tie to wear with a white suit.
For my own reference, in the event that I encounter myself in a similar situation and I wish to preserve my fingers, what is the correct color?

Top Bottom