6 months between releases

For my own reference, in the event that I encounter myself in a similar situation and I wish to preserve my fingers, what is the correct color?
If you ask, @Slavik, it would be pink. If you ask Mike, if would be black. I would just avoid the whole discussion. Much safer.

As for features, what one considers essential, another considers useless. You will never please everyone.

A navigation menu manager would be a "**** feature" for some while the smiley manager was a welcome addition.

Based on the number of likes each suggestion has received, you would be wrong.

While it does have a lot of likes, compared to the user base it's not that much. That's also not the only factor that goes into deciding what features get worked on. This has been discussed a lot. That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion but at the end of the day, they'll implement what they feel is best to be implemented. On a side note, I'd personally like to see a proper navigation menu implemented but I doubt it'll be in 1.4 (for no reason other than a gut feeling, hope I'm wrong).

I don't feel features that allow admins to easily control more parts of their site to be "****". You also left out the image/link proxy system which is kind of a big deal.

A navigation menu manager would be a "**** feature" for some while the smiley manager was a welcome addition.
Not everyone has the same opinion as you either. You mightn't like a lot of things you see it doesn't mean that it's shocking for everyone.
The proof that @tajhay just told everyone means just that. People have voted and said that they like the feature whilst you haven't pressed like instead you have dissed it and told everyone that you think it's a waste of space.

Not everyone has the same opinion as you either. You mightn't like a lot of things you see it doesn't mean that it's shocking for everyone.
The proof that @tajhay just told everyone means just that. People have voted and said that they like the feature whilst you haven't pressed like instead you have dissed it and told everyone that you think it's a waste of space.
Of course not everyone has the same opinion of me either. That is why I said "some" people. Unlike others who dismiss everything that they don't agree with as "**** features" I recognize that some will like appreciate what gets added & some won't. The only "proof" being shown is that some people can't accept that what is important for them isn't important for everybody else. Don't like the smiley manager? Great, that's an opinion that not everybody has but it just makes a person look foolish to disparage it because their own feature that they are looking for was not added.

And don't even bother trying to desperately attribute words to me that I've never said. Show me where when it comes to a menu manager that I have "dissed it and told everyone that you think it's a waste of space." Perhaps you are thinking of people who have repeatedly "dissed" the new features that were introuced in the last update?

EDIT: Interesting that a few posts have disappeared. Mods, was it you or did the user delete their own posts?

Of course not everyone has the same opinion of me either. That is why I said "some" people. Unlike others who dismiss everything that they don't agree with as "**** features" I recognize that some will like appreciate what gets added & some won't. The only "proof" being shown is that some people can't accept that what is important for them isn't important for everybody else. Don't like the smiley manager? Great, that's an opinion that not everybody has but it just makes a person look foolish to disparage it because their own feature that they are looking for was not added.

And don't even bother trying to desperately attribute words to me that I've never said. Show me where when it comes to a menu manager that I have "dissed it and told everyone that you think it's a waste of space." Perhaps you are thinking of people who have repeatedly "dissed" the new features that were introuced in the last update?

EDIT: Interesting that a few posts have disappeared. Mods, was it you or did the user delete their own posts?
I can read between the lines and know where you are heading with this. I wouldn't be spinning what you're trying to spin on us kevin.

As for the mods good work at keeping this clean.

I can read between the lines and know where you are heading with this. I wouldn't be spinning what you're trying to spin on us kevin.

As for the mods good work at keeping this clean.
Oh, so now you are reading stuff that isn't there and I'm trying to "spin" something? That is just too funny, especially considering the posts that were deleted. But, please, do go ahead and humor everybody with where you "know" (not think, "know) where I am heading with this. Don't start something you can't finish.

I deleted the posts as the language used wasn't suitable for this forum.
The word in question has since been added to the censor.

I would ask everyone to be mindful of the rules when getting involved in heated exchanges.

I'm thankful for all the updates but I do wish Xenforo team would provide more HYS or atleast get the community more involved in what features would you like such as polls or likes etc. Some sort of road map would be awesome and what part of the year we can expect things.

I would definitely try to donate $1,000+ if Xenforo team would create a storefront identical to IPB Nexus, offers on the table! :D

Why are people so fixated on seeing 2.0?

I am definitely NOT looking forward to a 2.0
%< snip >%
The software is hardly outdated, and there is such a thing as not fixing what is not broken. A faster flow of 1.x releases is what we need.

I agree--I see no reason for a 2.x release at this point, especially since it is a major undertaking for larger boards.
That's why you should have a test site and perform the upgrade there first, after checking with any add-ons you use if there's an update or if they work with the new version of Xenforo. That way you can iron out any issues before upgrading your live site.

Better yet, use as few add-ons as possible. I've gotten rid of so many. Some were abandoned and one in particular really left us in a bad place. I'm continually paring away add-ons and just convincing members and staff that we can do without them. When the stakes are larger, add-ons are a gamble we cannot afford.

When was it stated that a CMS would be developed?

I'm happy with XF staying strictly with forums. If I want a blog, I'll use WordPress. If CMS, I'll go with a CMS product. Seeing how bad bbPress is, it demonstrates how a blogging organization cannot focus properly on creating a forum system. And it's asking too much of two developers to suddenly have to start cramming blogging, CMS, gallery, etc. features into their workflow. I agree that having all these from one source is nice, but I'd rather have the forum be continually developed to its current high standards, than compromise that by branching out.

Although I'd be among the first to get a "blog" front-end for XF if it ever materialized... ;)

I think XF is a great software and very powerful.
If a 2.0 was every suggested, it would and should include some of the real basics still missing.
Rather then cause a debate over what should and shouldn't be. I compare to the common things found in others
as routine that are not on the default in XF. My opinion XF is not a starter software, its language is very different then most out there.
Directions in the help assume allot that people would already know. And advanced 2.0 would need in my opinion to have a better help section as well.
I know I know, 9 out of 10 will say thats not true, and 9 out of 10 that will say that have been using this software awhile the community here
is very tight nit, and why many are helpful. I think that the time past long ago understanding a newbie point of view in directions and understanding.
I was with SMF and PHPBB from the early 2004's the learning curve is pretty big at XF, that does not means its not good it means it takes more to do things
and understand the process. That was and has been my own experience, it may not be the same for everyone.
As I said not trying to ruffle feathers, I have been in using XF three months so far and found it not as fun to use as I had hoped thats all I am saying.
Its just my own experience and a new version I probably would not upgrade, I have not to 1.3 yet either due to tapatalk issues with it.

@Mike now that ES 1.1 has been released what's next? RM 1.2 or XF 1.4?
Can't you just wait and see? Why the fixation on 'what's the next version and the next number and when and what will it have and and and...'?

Just be content that the Xenforo developers have produced great forum software, that they are continuing to work behind the scenes on further development and they'll let us know what's next when they are ready. :)

Given the fact that IPS Social Suite is going to be released (as beta) next month, do you believe that xenForo should release the next HYS next month for strategic purposes? IPS Social Suite (IPB 4 and add-ons) looks very good and has a better stock theme (looks more professional than xF in my opinion). I think xenForo should react showing the first HYS.

Given the fact that IPS Social Suite is going to be released (as beta) next month, do you believe that xenForo should release the next HYS next month for strategic purposes? IPS Social Suite (IPB 4 and add-ons) looks very good and has a better stock theme (looks more professional than xF in my opinion). I think xenForo should react showing the first HYS.

You know the XenForo mantra... when its ready :)

Not everything has to be a competition.

Hi guys I have been investigating about the release cycle of xenForo and found something interesting: 1.2 was released on Jul 30, 2013 and the first HYS for 1.3 was posted on Dec 10, 2013 so it means that in less than 6 months xenForo started to give us teasers of their new features (during this period they appear to work on RM and ES).

1.3 was released on Mar 11, 2014 so do you think that we'll start seeing the next HYS for xenForo before Sep, 2014? I personally think that 1.4 will be the last release of the 1.x series and then they will start working on 2.0

Seems a bit rough.. No forum or CMS platforms state they are obligated to release updates / new features at specific intervals.

I am sorry to weigh in on this as it's a old thread but i only just caught this and to be fair XF is the best forum platform ive worked with, the Stability of the platform is second to none the updates & new features are rolling out if not at least on par with other platforms then much faster and much less minor / patch updates being needed..

All in all XF and their staff have been much more professional about supporting their product and customers than that of other offerings.

Regards, Darren

Top Bottom