6 months between releases

Mike has started talking about 1.4 (proof 1, proof 2) so at least we know that the next version of XF will be 1.4 and not 2.0 as some people were thinking. Until now my predictions are still possible:

1.3 was released on Mar 11, 2014 so do you think that we'll start seeing the next HYS for xenForo before Sep, 2014? I personally think that 1.4 will be the last release of the 1.x series and then they will start working on 2.0

All in all XF and their staff have been much more professional about supporting their product and customers than that of other offerings.

My final dealing with the "very Bad" ;) support system was two years ago--we've held onto the 4.x license so I could do conversions from other systems. I had asked about a conversion and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. "You're on your own" is their attitude. Nice going--you drove another customer away. It has actually been very nice here to not only have Mike responding to posts regularly, we also get treated with respect. Yes, maybe the forum doesn't have all of those bells and whistles but you know what? We can't expect that--the others have been around for far longer. Mike and Kier can only pull so many rabbits out of the hat.

I just don't understand the fixation on "2.0" though. A major version change means a large part of the underlying platform has been changed. It is not some number thrown around for marketing purposes, or for simply adding more features. That has been the core of software versioning since the early days of software development. "Point" upgrades are for adding features. xF could go to 1.25.0 or 1.50.0 for all I care!

And in my opinion, xF will probably do well continuing to refine old features and add new ones, since the underlying core isn't broken or outdated at all. When it does become outdated or too restricting, to when new features can't easily be added or the developers cannot move forward with new ideas, that is when a new major version needs to happen. I am not a developer, but given how well the new features in 1.2 and 1.3 have fit in with the others, it's obvious the core of XF is well built with plenty of room to expand.

I am still running 1.2.5 and have no plans to upgrade yet as everything works fine as it is.
Another note is that any software versions, especially forum software are not built to accommodate
second party addons, while XF is user friendly in add-on, often core upgrades will leave many a addon
in a state of disrepair and then the Forum developers are somehow held responsible.
I have done allot of forums over the years was using SMF & PHPBB 10 years ago, and can say that
addons are great and we always appreciate the work any member puts in, I know I do. But I also know
even on versions updates things do not always go right with addons. Tapatalk was one such issue
as of late with XF. Its not the lacking of XF, it was everything can't be compatible with everything else.

I guess the old adage works here, be careful what you wish for. Newer is not always best.
I have a 1967 Ford Ranger Truck in Original Condition. Will run all day and night is a true work horse.
If I drop a newer model motor in it, I am sure the reliability would drop. Its works fine I have newer trucks
but the old girls runs better then any I have owned, not comparing XF to an old truck, I am saying it built
for reliability not fluff. My view is yes XF could have more so called options. But would you rather have options?
Or have a software that is reliable and saves you a ton of work on downtime ? I would rather have a XF that works when I
need it.

I just don't understand the fixation on "2.0" though. A major version change means a large part of the underlying platform has been changed. It is not some number thrown around for marketing purposes, or for simply adding more features. That has been the core of software versioning since the early days of software development. "Point" upgrades are for adding features. xF could go to 1.25.0 or 1.50.0 for all I care!

And in my opinion, xF will probably do well continuing to refine old features and add new ones, since the underlying core isn't broken or outdated at all. When it does become outdated or too restricting, to when new features can't easily be added or the developers cannot move forward with new ideas, that is when a new major version needs to happen. I am not a developer, but given how well the new features in 1.2 and 1.3 have fit in with the others, it's obvious the core of XF is well built with plenty of room to expand.
Quoted for truth. The underlying infrastructure of XF 1.x is very solid and is being expanded upon in the core (by Mike & Kier) and add on developers in countless ways. I think a lot of the people screaming for a 2.0 are better off posting specific feature requests in the suggestions forum since what they're really asking for is additional features.

Top Bottom