1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 504 gateway timeout

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Mouth, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx 1.4, php-fpm 5.5
  2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Goes into detail on some of the problems. I've never had the problem of it occurring but I run my sites on dedicated dual Xeon 5520's with 24GB RAM.
    Mouth likes this.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Big forum?

Try the CLI upgrader if you have shell access to your server:

Mouth likes this.
  4. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Thanks, incorporated those into my configs but have proceeded with Jake's CLI option below. That's a nice site - spent 15 mins going through it!

Yes, big.
    Thanks, I ran the CLI and ran the upgrade but received another error. I'll post another thread for that, as I think it's unrelated to this issue.
  5. RobinHood

RobinHood Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why I received an alert to this thread creation. I'm not following Mouth or subscribed to this forum and I've not been tagged o_O

Bug perhaps?

weird xenforo alert.PNG
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This generally happens if a post was split to a new thread (and you had already received an alert for it).
    euantor and RobinHood like this.
  7. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Mike and RobinHood like this.
  8. RobinHood

RobinHood Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

Sorry to go slightly OT in your thread Mouth. Maybe it would be worth thinking about an option to add a line to the page description below the title when posts are split off from threads to prevent confusion. Something like this perhaps? It would help to give a bit of context to split threads.

Mouth likes this.
  9. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Make a suggestion! :)
    Mouth likes this.
  10. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

@Jake Bunce I'm having the same problem upgrading to 1.2.2 on our test site.

It gets to "Upgrading... 1.2.0 Alpha, Step 10" then fails with a gateway timeout.

Can I literally just run the CLI upgrader or do I need to configure anything first?
  11. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Also what is Step 11 as that's the one it seems to be hanging on.
  12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Step 10 involves conversations, step 11 involves the post table, step 12 involves the IP tables. All of these can have quite a lot of data so MySQL may take some time to alter them. You can use SHOW PROCESSLIST; to monitor them.

You should be able to go straight into the CLI. Note that it doesn't strictly provide an advantage -- MySQL won't run the query any faster -- except in the case of a timeout. Where you'd normally get a timeout and have to refresh, you won't get the timeout and the script will continue when the query completes.