• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 503 Service Unavailable

Steve F

Getting this error when trying to upload an animated avatar. This happens on all XF installs.

Running LiteSpeed on this new VPS.

Code:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
xenforo.js:334  503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily busy, try again later!

Proudly powered by  LiteSpeed Web ServerPlease be advised that LiteSpeed Technologies Inc. is not a web hosting company and, as such, has no control over content found on this site.
I have installed and enabled imagick extension along with checking the ImageMagic option in the ACP.

upload_2015-8-17_22-45-30.png

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Does it take a while for it to appear? If so, it's likely just taking too long to process the image. This is the downside of allowing animated avatars. You may need to increase a timeout between your web server and PHP.

If it's happening quickly, that might imply that PHP is crashing (probably the imagick extension).

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
If it is the latter, as suggested by Mike, I've seen some suggestions that this is basically ImageMagick causing a segfault in PHP.

This is one solution that worked for someone:
Why does my ImageMagick / Imagick setup always crash when I read from an SVG?

I feel like we've seen this sporadically with users of XFMG. Generally some combination of upgrading/downgrading ImageMagick or the imagick extension usually solves these things.

Tracy Perry

@Steve F, give me a yell on Slack later and I'll see if I can take a look at it for y'all. It is probably something in the LS PHP compile or possibly the CentOS install (if that's what you used on it).