XF 1.4 500 Error During Registration

KenBrace

Recently users have been unable to register at my site. I tested it out to see what the issue was and apparently it's throwing the error provided below. I switched to a new server and got an SSL cert so that may have something to do with it. I thought that perhaps the outdated HTTP board URL was the problem but I fixed that and it's still not working. Any ideas?

upload_2017-4-8_12-52-15.png

PS: I'm actually not entirely sure which version of XF I'm running but I last updated it about a year ago so I'm guessing its 1.4.

ozzy47

Well would be good to check the server error logs. ;)

Did you try with all addons disabled on a default unedited style?

KenBrace

This is the error that I keep getting in the "error_log" file...
Code:
[08-Apr-2017 16:17:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function iconv_strlen() in /public_html/community/library/Zend/Validate/Hostname.php on line 1263

CTXMedia

Formerly CyclingTribe
Is iconv enabled in PHP on your server? It should be, by default, but it might not be.

Run phpinfo.php to check. If you don't have a phpinfo page, you can easily create one - just make a plain text file and add this:
Code:
<?php

phpinfo();

?>
Then save it as phpinfo.php, upload it to the root of your XF install, and call the URL in your browser, e.g.; http://yoursite.com/phpinfo.php

If it is disabled, check your php.ini file to see if it has been disabled there and edit to enable it - should be something like ... extension=iconv.so ... if it's got a # in front, remove it, save, restart your web server, and check to see if it works?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Every XF install has access to PHP info via admin.php?tools/phpinfo

The resolution in this case though is to install the iconv extension.

It's actually a system requirement:
XenForo System Requirements
  • PHP: 5.2.11+
  • MySQL: 5.0+
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • PHP safe_mode off
Download the requirements test script.