4 years later: let's talk about 2.0

imthebest

Hi guys,

xenForo open it's doors on July 2010, we're about to reach 4 years of this amazing forum software that changed the market (as an example, IPB 4.0 has been delayed because 1.3 was released first and with cool new features... they got scared). It's a so wonderful piece of software that some german guys cloned it... you know!

But as with everything in this world things have to evolve and after 4 years of 1.x I think it's time to start talking about the future of xenForo: 2.0

What do you think xenForo should change/add/improve in order to consolidate as the king of the forum software market?

Thank you.

On their original announcement they said it was going to be released "later 2013"... after 1.3 HYS threads they changed their mind and now say it will be ready Q2 2014.

It has ever been thus.

It's worth noting however, that 2.x would be a first point release which is a major change.
There would likely (definitely) be breaking changes.
Many styles and add-ons would need to be rewritten.

I suspect some people just want to see a first point release for the sake of it, without actually understanding the reason for it.

amazing forum software that changed the market (as an example, IPB 4.0 has been delayed because 1.3 was released first and with cool new features... they got scared).
Aahahaah (y)

It's a so wonderful piece of software that some german guys cloned it... you know!
Yes, I know this (y) :D

So, given that x.x.X releases give minor things, bug fixes etc, x.X.x give major new things and features, what do people think a X.x.x release will bring, and more importantly, what do people expect from a 2.x release that couldnt be added to a 1.x release?

Or, maybe a better way to ask the question.

What do you expect or want to see from XF2.0 that requires that step up from the 1.x release line?

Wow 56 minutes ago and 12 posts later :p

Look its been 1 maybe 2 years in reality, lots of people to thank for that. The product has been delayed and in the world of forum software its rather immature. Its ready for the world but its not where it could have been, should have been, or will be. I would rather see the product take the form it needs to. Stopping at 1.3 and moving to what 2.0 should be would mean a couple years without a release. I seriously doubt that is what you actually want.

So, given that x.x.X releases give minor things, bug fixes etc, x.X.x give major new things and features, what do people think a X.x.x release will bring, and more importantly, what do people expect from a 2.x release that couldnt be added to a 1.x release?

Or, maybe a better way to ask the question.

What do you expect or want to see from XF2.0 that requires that step up from the 1.x release line?

There's so much left to be done with XF1.x.x, I'd like to see several more second point releases. I assume when they do up it to 2.0 that we'll upgrade from zend framework 1.x to zend 2.x and also provide maybe 1st party blog or gallery extensions. For now though, I hope they don't even consider starting on v2 until maybe next year :).

There's so much left to be done with XF1.x.x, I'd like to see several more second point releases. I assume when they do up it to 2.0 that we'll upgrade from zend framework 1.x to zend 2.x and also provide maybe 1st party blog or gallery extensions. For now though, I hope they don't even consider starting on v2 until maybe next year :).

The reason for using Zend was time. Honestly think there is a decent chance 2.0 won't include any part of Zend unless there is something they can't replace without being a direct copy. They took what they needed and peeled the rest back. The entire point of doing so shouldn't actually exist by the time they arrive at that point. It doesn't make it pointless but it also doesn't mean it will be any part of the future either.

Why do you presume it would take "a couple of years" to release 2.0.0?

That estimate is way off the mark.

If they had 2 or 3 1.x releases planned a rewrite to include all of that plus new functionality would take that long skipping all releases up until the work was finished. Judging by your response less is planned. No reason to hold things back just to please someone who needs a number into their life?

Top Bottom