• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[LN] Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's been suggested or not, but currently you make the "Blogs" link disappear from the navbar if a user doesn't have permission to view blogs. However, I wanted to leave the link there to advertise the feature to potential new users - then force login/registration upon clicking it.

I've done the edit myself, but just wanted to throw it out there for future versions.

I don't know if it's been suggested or not, but currently you make the "Blogs" link disappear from the navbar if a user doesn't have permission to view blogs. However, I wanted to leave the link there to advertise the feature to potential new users - then force login/registration upon clicking it.

I've done the edit myself, but just wanted to throw it out there for future versions.
I may have accidentally done something like this, but won't know for sure until I'm done.

Yes, that was vague. o_O

Hi Onimua.

I am making a minor modification to the sidebar module which appears on the forums. Currently article titles are trimmed so only 25 chars show. I would like to increase this a bit. It seems clear to me this function is controlled in lnblog_sidebar_recent_entry
Code:
 <div class="lnblogRecentIndexEntryTitle"><a href="{xen:link entries, $recentEntry}">{xen:helper snippet, $recentEntry.title, 25}</a></div>

I tried replacing the 25 at the end with 35 but was surprised to find my title lengths did not increase after a refresh. Am I missing something?

Also, I was curious to know, if I Follow someone on the forums, will I automatically be following their blogs?

Hi Onimua.

I am making a minor modification to the sidebar module which appears on the forums. Currently article titles are trimmed so only 25 chars show. I would like to increase this a bit. It seems clear to me this function is controlled in lnblog_sidebar_recent_entry
Code:
 <div class="lnblogRecentIndexEntryTitle"><a href="{xen:link entries, $recentEntry}">{xen:helper snippet, $recentEntry.title, 25}</a></div>

I tried replacing the 25 at the end with 35 but was surprised to find my title lengths did not increase after a refresh. Am I missing something?

Also, I was curious to know, if I Follow someone on the forums, will I automatically be following their blogs?
It should increase just fine, but it also depends on how many characters your entry titles actually have. I've found that it's not literally 25 characters, but perhaps 25 characters total (it doesn't count spaces), or something like that.

And yes, if you follow/unfollow someone, the change is reflected immediately on the blog index.

Recent Entries don't appear to be showing on my sidebar, even though it's enabled in the Admin Options?

I have the XenPorta module running on my homepage, and that shows fine.. :cautious:

Recent Entries don't appear to be showing on my sidebar, even though it's enabled in the Admin Options?

I have the XenPorta module running on my homepage, and that shows fine.. :cautious:
Do the usergroups also allow to see the blog? It checks both the ACP options AND the user group options. They both have to be "true" for it to appear.

The XenPorta version does not check those permissions (although I should probably fix that...).

Do the usergroups also allow to see the blog? It checks both the ACP options AND the user group options. They both have to be "true" for it to appear.

The XenPorta version does not check those permissions (although I should probably fix that...).
Yes, the usergroup permission for viewing blogs is set to Allow.

Guests are set to Disallow, perhaps that has some impact on incorrectly stopping it from showing to other usergroups? I don't have FTP access right now, so I can't take a look at the code at myself unfortunately to investigate.

Yes, the usergroup permission for viewing blogs is set to Allow.

Guests are set to Disallow, perhaps that has some impact on incorrectly stopping it from showing to other usergroups? I don't have FTP access right now, so I can't take a look at the code at myself unfortunately to investigate.
If the Registered group can see it, it shouldn't be a problem for mods or admins to see it too (it should inherit the permission from Registered if I recall right).

Disallowing guests should only affect guests.

Registered, Moderating, Administrative and my Custom Group are all set to Allow.

No users can see the Sidebar module.
Hm... I know of an installation that has blogs disabled for guests, but members have no problem seeing it. In fact it works here locally.

Do you have any other add-ons that have sidebar blocks?

just saw this...looks great

everyong gets their own blog...absolutely brilliant

I just want to clarify this works fine with xen 1.0 gold?

LNBlog works well with XenForo 1.0.0 stable, except for a minor visual issue with the member card. As it's not an emergency, I recommend disabling it through the ACP until beta 3 is released.

Otherwise, expect no other problems with this add-on. (y)
can you show what the visual issue is? screenshot

so i can see if i can live with it or not (and wait for B3)

Do you have any other add-ons that have sidebar blocks?
I do apologise Onimua, I've sourced the problem after getting home and looking at the code.

I'd installed this modification which changes the siderbar_online_users template. A template which your code searches a commented line for, to place the block after it. Currently, the linked modification removes this comment.

I do apologise Onimua, I've sourced the problem after getting home and looking at the code.

I'd installed this modification which changes the siderbar_online_users template. A template which your code searches a commented line for, to place the block after it. Currently, the linked modification removes this comment.

I figured that that was the next problem if it wasn't permissions.

I dislike the "hooks" there because the only way to use them is to use a str_replace, and while I've tried to attach it to my replacement, it ends up creating a duplicate block. It's something I'm toying with.

What you could do is at the end of the template used for that add-on, add <!-- blog block --> and then within the template code, change the text it searches for to the new one and it should work fine.

I hope to be able to not have to require such changes eventually. :unsure:

Yeah, I seem to remember having various issues with vBulletin 3 and those str_replace strings, especially with heavily modified styles. In the end I did as much as possible with "manual" template edits, though I totally get that people now expect everything to be automatic.. ;)

Looking forward to Beta 3, and the future after that.

Yeah, I seem to remember having various issues with vBulletin 3 and those str_replace strings, especially with heavily modified styles. In the end I did as much as possible with "manual" template edits, though I totally get that people now expect everything to be automatic.. ;)

Looking forward to Beta 3, and the future after that.
Yep. It's whoever gets to the hook first, and trying to add it back in within the template creates duplicates, at least when I do it.

I wish they had a proper hook for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom