• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[LN] Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onimua, I've been looking at the CSS for the Blogs quite a bit. I've made my own customizations and I like to share a recommendation. I would suggest you modify the Recent Blog Entries block on the forum sidebar. I am not sure if you have seen the RSS block Brogan created for his site. It's viewable at ClipTheApex.com on the right sidebar of the front page, titled with Formula One News. Below he has 6 RSS feeds.

His javascript cycles through each article, underlines them one at a time, and displays the headline of the selected article in the top box. If an admin just wanted to share "Recent Blog Entries" then a list of ?10 entries can be offered and the block would cycle through the 10 listed articles one at a time displaying the title of each one in turn as the headline. Alternatively, an admin can split up this block into sections. Sections could be split by blogger (Kier, Mike, Brogan, etc), by topic (Bug fixes, Features, etc), popularity (by likes or page read count), etc. The flexibility would be up to each site admin.

It just seems keeping a user's avatar, and offering the blogger's name/time stamp is a bit redundant, and takes up a lot of space. Forums should have many blog entries each day and the current system can only list a few before the block grows quite large.

Just an idea for you to consider.

Onimua, I've been looking at the CSS for the Blogs quite a bit. I've made my own customizations and I like to share a recommendation. I would suggest you modify the Recent Blog Entries block on the forum sidebar. I am not sure if you have seen the RSS block Brogan created for his site. It's viewable at ClipTheApex.com on the right sidebar of the front page, titled with Formula One News. Below he has 6 RSS feeds.

His javascript cycles through each article, underlines them one at a time, and displays the headline of the selected article in the top box. If an admin just wanted to share "Recent Blog Entries" then a list of ?10 entries can be offered and the block would cycle through the 10 listed articles one at a time displaying the title of each one in turn as the headline. Alternatively, an admin can split up this block into sections. Sections could be split by blogger (Kier, Mike, Brogan, etc), by topic (Bug fixes, Features, etc), popularity (by likes or page read count), etc. The flexibility would be up to each site admin.

It just seems keeping a user's avatar, and offering the blogger's name/time stamp is a bit redundant, and takes up a lot of space. Forums should have many blog entries each day and the current system can only list a few before the block grows quite large.

Just an idea for you to consider.
This is something I hadn't considered but I noted it down. It's likely that it won't be in beta 3 with everything else I have to do (and have done) however, but likely the version after that you could see this in a similar fashion.

Changing the primary route from /blog to /tutorials would seem to be the main one.

And what an excellent idea it is too.
That has given me an idea for my site thinking.gif

Onimua, is that 'modified version' available for general release? Or, is that a paid modification?
It was a custom project that wasn't intended to be released publicly.
What were the modifications ?
Mostly code modifications to deal with the changes from blogs to tutorials.
Changing the primary route from /blog to /tutorials would seem to be the main one

And what an excellent idea it is too.
That has given me an idea for my site View attachment 12813

A tiny bit more involved than that but generally yes. :)

well Onimua I think many of us would appreciate if you included the ability for us to make similar changes. Perhaps you could consider also including some features as premium? Offer the standard blog, and then a premium version for those in need...

It's kind of a test atm.. But who know's what will happen in time (well only Onimua will know)

well Onimua I think many of us would appreciate if you included the ability for us to make similar changes. Perhaps you could consider also including some features as premium? Offer the standard blog, and then a premium version for those in need...
You can make the changes yourself, but it's not that simple. I'm not into the whole "premium" member approach if I made an add-on free. If you want something special for your installation, contact me in private. Otherwise, it's an even playing field in the thread and I don't like mixing posts from supporting those with custom/paid modifications and those who are using a vanilla installation. Keeps things clean and lessens the confusion.
You should add native support for changing from /blog to /whatever.

It's not immediately clear how I would do that actually, as I'd need to tell XenForo what to change it to before XenForo knows "who" it's talking to, if that makes sense. o_O It's not the first time I've heard about it, but I don't [yet] see how I'd go about doing such a thing and make it a simple "switch" to the end-user at the moment.

Check Darkimmortal's chat add-on.

He has coded it to allow for 4 different primary routes.
So not totally flexible but there is at least some choice.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/taigachat-ajax-shoutbox.7339/
I'll look into it, thanks. I wonder if it's something simple to apply across everything here though... :unsure:

I will say that I'm not looking to do such a thing at the moment. Right now I'm focused on beta 3 and not about to go back and rework portions of the code to do this right now and chance breaking more things than I'll realize, and definitely don't want to risk that for people who are using the blog on production sites right now.

Just installed and noticed a couple of things....
  • BBCode is displaying in the preview popup (see attachment #1), 'my blog' page and Recent Activity (see attachment #2 & 3)
  • Recent Activity was moved a bit and now 'bumps against' the edge instead of having some padding (see attachment #2)
....I'm sure the first one is something that I have to wait for, but for the second one where do we make the adjustment?

Attachments

• TVT_Blog1.webp
    TVT_Blog1.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
  • TVT_Blog2.webp
    TVT_Blog2.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 6
  • TVT_Blog3.webp
    TVT_Blog3.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 4
BBcode in the preview is the exact same behavior as found in threads. An example on this site:

Screen shot 2011-03-19 at 6.30.38 PM.webp

As to the issue you're having on the Recent Activity, the add-on should have had no effect on that. :confused: It seems more like an issue with the style you're using in general as that issue doesn't happen if you use the default style. The items inserted into the news feeds uses the same template code that other actions use, not blog-specific CSS is applied.​

Did you happen to customize news feed templates for your style?

This "Blog" looks quite interesting.
It certainly does more than just be a blog. http://animelon.com/tutorials/

Here's a shot of it being used ...
View attachment 12811
source: http://www.danskhandicapforum.dk/blogs/

Looks great.

Thanks for using my site as a example - and yes - its works very well indeed - and best of all - my users can find out how to use it :D I still missing some few functions - but I think that will come in the next release from Onimua ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom