Not a bug YouTube video playback on Android Chrome

Martok

I'm not sure if this is a bug or as intended...

In Xenforo 1.15, when you click to play a YouTube video when using Chrome on a Nexus 7 Android tablet, the video plays back on the page. Here's an example on my website:

Defiance YouTube video

However, in Xenforo 1.2, when clicking on a video it doesn't play it on the page, it instead opens it in the YouTube app.

Here's the same video you can try:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't know if this is intentional or not?

Personally I don't like it opening in the YouTube app - it's a second application that isn't needed. I am happy to play it directly on the page and can click on the full screen button if I need to.

The YouTube site itself let's you choose when you click on a video to play it either in Chrome on the Nexus 7 or in the YouTube app. If this could be an option then that would be ideal but if not, the video on the page is IMO more preferable.

Confirmed.

Edit: although I don't see this as a issue myself but confirming it on the offchance it's not as designed.

Confirmed.

Edit: although I don't see this as a issue myself but confirming it on the offchance it's not as designed.

It's not a 'mission critical' problem by any means. What it does give is inconsistency with video playback. Whereas a YouTube video now opens in the YouTube app, a Vimeo video plays within the post. You can see this with the Star Trek video in Jake's post here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/star-trek-continues-web-series.35309/#post-548788

Personally I think that opening in the YouTube app (if not given a choice to do this) detracts from the forum as you are going to another app to watch the video and then having to return to the website afterwards. Keeping it all in one place is IMO a better experience.

As you say though, this is to check if it is as designed or is a bug.

I would have to check, but this may be down to the YT system flipping behaviors based on the size of the video iframe.

Not sure if this is related but I also noticed that the embedded video looks different on 1.15 and 1.2 on Chrome on the Nexus 7.

On 1.15
youtube115.webp

On 1.2
youtube120.webp

Notice the missing titles in the embed in 1.2 using Chrome on the Nexus 7, the different coloured play button and the large YouTube logo.

I'm not sure why these would appear differently in posts?

I also notice that the video on my website (viewed using a standard browser has a 'share' link in the top right of the video embed but it's missing in the one in my initial post.

Nothing (much) to see here - we still had the old <object> based YT embed here, rather than the <iframe> version. Flipping to the iframe changes the behavior.

This issue now seems to be resolved, not sure if it's due to the latest beta or a Chrome update? Anyway the YouTube video now plays in the browser as it does in 1.15 instead of opening in the YouTube app. :)

Top Bottom