Fixed Youtube Media BB Code suddenly broken

Cyberkef

Affected version
2.2.6 Patch 1
Got flooded with reports from my users/crew that all Youtube embeds are suddenly broken, seems also the case here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quickfix: Edit template _media_site_embed_youtube and remove the &list={$list} from the iframe url

I think this relates to a change in 2.2.6 but am I correct in saying this has broken in recent days - i.e. it was working fine after the release of 2.2.6 up until, maybe today?

I have some tabs open that have successfully loaded YouTube embeds in 2.2.6 with seemingly the same embed code. Having an empty &list= parameter probably isn't ideal but it looks to me that YouTube was processing that differently until today/yesterday.

Youtube is working on my sites. but we have this addon installed

We are running 2.2.6 Patch 1 for several days and Youtube embeds were working fine until 40 minutes ago, so I would guess it is something Youtube related?
Yes! I thought they were working recently.

Thanks for confirming.

So it may well be a change YouTube have made but a change we made in 2.2.6 or 2.2.5 may be the root cause regardless (we added support for YouTube URLs that are videos as part of a playlist).

Hoping YouTube reverse whatever it is they've done...

I think this relates to a change in 2.2.6 but am I correct in saying this has broken in recent days - i.e. it was working fine after the release of 2.2.6 up until, maybe today?
Literally this afternoon I watched videos on my site earlier.

Youtube is working on my sites. but we have this addon installed

Just installed and all ok now and wow that should be default for xenforo, that is excellent, love the floating video feature!

Got flooded with reports from my users/crew that all Youtube embeds are suddenly broken, seems also the case here

Quickfix: Edit template _media_site_embed_youtube and remove the &list={$list} from the iframe url
Thank you for the fix!! I was getting flooded too and that fixed the problem.

Had the same problem. YouTube embeds were working about 24 hours ago. Running 2.2.6 Patch 1.
Having '&list=' URL parameter causes the problem. Almost certainly a change in behavior on YouTube's side.

This fixed it thanks.

Same for me. I upgraded from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6 Patch 1 yesterday. Before updating, the embeded videos worked, since the patch it´s broken.
I tried the option with an additional link, the embedded part does not work, the link below works.

The quickfix in the first post worked for me.

media.jpg

Same looks on the latest version of XF.
What is the solution?
Are we waiting for a new update?
You can find a quickfix in the first post.

Last edited:
It's a known bug which the developers are aware of.

There's no need to keep adding +1 posts.

If YT don't reverse the change they have made then a new patch release will be made.

Yeah, looks like Youtube just fixed it on their end. I was briefly using the provided template edit workaround, but now was able to safely remove it.

EDIT:
My mistake, I removed the template edit and refreshed an affected page on my site, and the Youtube embeds still loaded fine, so I assumed it was fixed on Youtube's end. I guess something was cached which allowed those embeds to load successfully again or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom