Your forum on TV

Adam Howard

Has anyone here had their forum on TV? Either because it was in the background, on a show, in the news, or paid advertizement.

Anyone?

No I'm not, How about your's ? :)
It's being decided (we're almost sold on the idea, but not yet) that we attempt to advertise our community on local TV. It will be in 4 different areas (geographically). There is also talk about taking print ads as well.

If we proceed, it will not be for another 4 - 5 months from now (late summer or early fall).

We had a long running problem with one member on my ZooChat site who had mental health issues and actually managed to get a keepers uniform and got a ute (pickup) done up with zoo logos so he could drive around behind the scenes in an open-range zoo in regional Australia. He was actually giving tours to visitors too!

He wasn't really dangerous (other than the fact he had no safety training), he was just very passionate (and somewhat delusional) about being a zookeeper and managed to con his way into it.

Made local news coverage in the area - I think we got a brief mention on local TV (although I never saw it) because of his history with our site and evidence of his past adventures with other zoos - I helped a journalist with some investigations into this guy (he was 19 years old I think). Wasn't exactly promotional - we were just mentioned in passing.

We had a long running problem with one member on my ZooChat site who had mental health issues and actually managed to get a keepers uniform and got a ute (pickup) done up with zoo logos so he could drive around behind the scenes in an open-range zoo in regional Australia. He was actually giving tours to visitors too!

He wasn't really dangerous (other than the fact he had no safety training), he was just very passionate (and somewhat delusional) about being a zookeeper and managed to con his way into it.

Made local news coverage in the area - I think we got a brief mention on local TV (although I never saw it) because of his history with our site and evidence of his past adventures with other zoos - I helped a journalist with some investigations into this guy (he was 19 years old I think). Wasn't exactly promotional - we were just mentioned in passing.
Now there's an interesting story....

Did this have any impact on your site or was it business as usual?

Now there's an interesting story....

Did this have any impact on your site or was it business as usual?

The media side of things didn't have any impact - it was largely incidental ... the person himself caused no end of trouble, since he continually signed up under new accounts and would post as a normal user, but would be making claims about the zoos which were completely fantasy (he often posed as a keeper with inside knowledge).

My site wouldn't really benefit from media advertising anyway - since it is very much a global and extremely niche site ... any local advertising I did would not likely have much impact - since very few of my target audience would likely hear about it. I need to be very targeted in my promotion of the site.

If I could get someone like Bindi Irwin to promote it on one of her shows, I would get great traffic - but not the kind of audience I am after (zookeepers don't watch Bindi Irwin!)

I'd be better off targeting trade publications or zookeeper association websites and such.

I think most sites would need different approaches based on their niche.

The media side of things didn't have any impact - it was largely incidental ... the person himself caused no end of trouble, since he continually signed up under new accounts and would post as a normal user, but would be making claims about the zoos which were completely fantasy (he often posed as a keeper with inside knowledge).

My site wouldn't really benefit from media advertising anyway - since it is very much a global and extremely niche site ... any local advertising I did would not likely have much impact - since very few of my target audience would likely hear about it. I need to be very targeted in my promotion of the site.

If I could get someone like Bindi Irwin to promote it on one of her shows, I would get great traffic - but not the kind of audience I am after (zookeepers don't watch Bindi Irwin!)

I'd be better off targeting trade publications or zookeeper association websites and such.

I think most sites would need different approaches based on their niche.
Irwin, now there's a name I haven't heard in years. I used to love Steve's shows. Celebrate his day of death every year as my birthday. lol.

Completely different context to what you're talking about, I guess, Adam, but kind of relevant.

In 2003 our forum was on CNN briefly:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, we've been linked to and referenced many times by the BBC, Sky, Formula One teams and personnel (Mercedes, Red Bull, Pat Fry, etc.), online F1 sites, F1 magazines, etc.

Closest we've come so far was when Daniel Tosh offered to display everyone's Twitter handle on his show for $5.

171juot_on_tosh0.jpg

When it really does come, I am sure it will not be for the right reasons.

We (my other forum that I've not mentioned yet) were mentioned in the Mirror and the Daily Mail, we didn't ask for this advertising, but they mentioned a few sites for people out of work and looking for jobs (I think the article was named something like "How to make money during a recession")...

It gave a bit of a boost to traffic

Our forum has been mentioned 2 or 3 times on traffic-related programs.
Example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(@1:08 and 3:12, sticker we sell)

Top Bottom