Your Community Rules On User Tagging?

Divvens

Do you have any specific rules for user tagging? On my community, I haven't set any tag limit since we run games such as Mafia which require users to tag more than 15/16 members, but sometimes users also tag for no reason and it can get annoying especially for staff members.

I wanted to know how others are handling this situation, since I don't want members turning of alerts for tags just due to them getting tagged constantly and getting annoyed.

We haven't experienced any tagging abuse to date - however if someone gets a bit overzealous or misuses it, I expect we'd just modify their individual account permissions to stop them being able to tag.

If you've got abuse on a larger scale you could create a usergroup with revoke/never for tagging and drop people into it as needed. (y)

We haven't experienced any tagging abuse to date - however if someone gets a bit overzealous or misuses it, I expect we'd just modify their individual account permissions to stop them being able to tag.

If you've got abuse on a larger scale you could create a usergroup with revoke/never for tagging and drop people into it as needed. (y)
Thanks for the tip :)

What do you think would be a friendly guideline for describing tagging abuse, I mean I don't want to bring this to action without it being mentioned in our forum rules and I don't want to upset the members either by making them feel they are being restricted too much.

I wouldn't bother defining it - just use simple wording that tells them what the feature is and that abusing it may result in removal, for example:

@User tagging alerts other members when you mention them on the site. It's a great way of calling people into discussions if you want their advice and expertise or giving a shout-out to friends. Please use this feature in a responsible and positive way - abusing it may [will] result in you losing access to it.

Something like that ...

Top Bottom