1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Community Rules On User Tagging?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Divvens, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

Do you have any specific rules for user tagging? On my community, I haven't set any tag limit since we run games such as Mafia which require users to tag more than 15/16 members, but sometimes users also tag for no reason and it can get annoying especially for staff members.

I wanted to know how others are handling this situation, since I don't want members turning of alerts for tags just due to them getting tagged constantly and getting annoyed.

2. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

We haven't experienced any tagging abuse to date - however if someone gets a bit overzealous or misuses it, I expect we'd just modify their individual account permissions to stop them being able to tag.

If you've got abuse on a larger scale you could create a usergroup with revoke/never for tagging and drop people into it as needed. (y)

Divvens likes this.
  3. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip :)

What do you think would be a friendly guideline for describing tagging abuse, I mean I don't want to bring this to action without it being mentioned in our forum rules and I don't want to upset the members either by making them feel they are being restricted too much.

4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother defining it - just use simple wording that tells them what the feature is and that abusing it may result in removal, for example:

@User tagging alerts other members when you mention them on the site. It's a great way of calling people into discussions if you want their advice and expertise or giving a shout-out to friends. Please use this feature in a responsible and positive way - abusing it may [will] result in you losing access to it.

Something like that ...

Divvens likes this.