Implemented "You Must Be Logged-In To Do That" Error

Deepmartini

Sometimes when I have Xenforo open and some other windows open and I forget the Xenforo is there, I go back to click on something on Xenforo and because I have been idle for so long it logs me out and gives me a message "You Must Be Logged In To Do That". Then I have to search for the logout button, click that then click login and then login.

A better way would be when that message appears, to simply have a login box that appears with it, so you can simply login then be redirect back to what page you were on or what you were trying to do.

Is this error going to be fixed in the next update?

*See image below.

usabilityimprovement.webp

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Any updates on this? Not very user friendly.

There should be a login box on the error popup, that way the person can login right from there instead of clicking around and getting confused how to get back inside the site.

+!

Same as the timeout message.
It just isn't helpful or friendly to just say "You can''t do that" without offering a route to do it.

(Apart from permission obstacles and even then I want my message to apologise that it's not possible.)

have you tried editting the phrase "login_required" and putting something like..
Rich (BB code):
You must be logged-in to do that.
<xen:include template="login_bar_form"  />

Does this work? Will it add the login form? My site isn't up yet so I can't test it. Would be great if this is possible?!

Does that error still open in an overlay for you? If I try to view an image or download while viewing as a guest I'm taken to this screen.

Edit: Was able to reproduce by opening two windows in the same browser, logging out in one, and then trying to post in the other.

logged.webp

Does that error still open in an overlay for you? If I try to view an image or download while viewing as a guest I'm taken to this screen.

Edit: Was able to reproduce by opening two windows in the same browser, logging out in one, and then trying to post in the other.

View attachment 23164

I think they did add the login form to certain errors, but it still shows up for other things when you time-out etc. Not sure what I clicked on exactly but the error box pops up and theres no login form. If they can simply attach the login form to any login error that would be excellent.

I have to agree.... when you get that error and cant login right there its extra clicks to do so. For the sake of a simple login form it would improve things but I have to say, its hardly an issue that bothers me and its not a showstopper. If this doesnt get implemented then I wont be bothered in the slightest but it would be small improvement I agree.

Top Bottom