XPress - A theme and bridge for bringing WordPress into XenForo [Deleted]

Wonderful extension!

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are different user groups supported?
  2. Would you be able to use WordPress plugins? Such as a simple directory plugin to show off some company listings?
  3. If so, would you be able to search the data?
Thanks!

Would you be able to answer my questions as well, @Jake B. ? Thanks!

Cannot seem to fix this
Have a similar problem while installing TH Nodes addon to over UI.X2 theme. I opened a ticket and get the following solution from @Ian Hitt

———————————————

The issue is that it is customized in UI.X specifically (and intentionally) which is why it does not happen in the default theme. However, since the theme was installed first, It is showing that the child theme is customized, but edited more recently that the parent (which is the add-on.) XenForo foes not know how to resolved these issues because it can only merge from parent to child, not the other way around.

To correct it, you can simply copy the contents of the template, revert the template, and then paste/save the contents again. In XenForo 1 simply saving the template would tell XF to stop flagging it as outdated, but there is an issue with the current release that is preventing that from working properly at the moment.

I have installed my language files at Wordpress. When I change the XF language from English to Turkish, Wordpress site doesn't change. WP language can only be changed from "WP- Settings - General Setting".

I was expecting to change WP language by using XF language setting after reading this : Is it a bug or misunderstanding ?

• Leverages XenForo’s Phrase Management System For Internationalization
    Manage all languages with XenForo’s phrase system

Hey guys will organize all issues and respond to any questions in a bit. Real quick for those who were wondering about featuring a wp post, just add the tag 'featured'

Hey guys will organize all issues and respond to any questions in a bit. Real quick for those who were wondering about featuring a wp post, just add the tag 'featured'
Created an article at Wordpress and add the tag "featured" doesn't work for me ?? May be because of some other problems at my site (Creating an article at WP does not also create a thread at XF because of some error logs at XF)

Created an article at Wordpress and add the tag "featured" doesn't work for me ?? May be because of some other problems at my site (Creating an article at WP does not also create a thread at XF because of some error logs at XF)
May be due to setup. I'll look at tickets, mostly no errors so far besides the unclosed template tag. Mostly just install issues so we are going to try to improve that with a test tool of some kind.

Can I disable the XF-looking comments on blog posts and use wpDiscuz?
I'd prefer to keep the blog and forums separate except for SSO, is that possible?
Can I eliminate WordPress login completely and use only XF login? What about social login addons for WordPress, what happens there?
Are there many options like in Genesis themes? Blog layout as modal, infinite scroll, featured image customization, etc..

:)

Hi @Mike Creuzer - adding the featured tag does not show the slider for me? I have the grid, but no slider, despite trying featured and Featured.

Don't need to change anything else do I? Latest UI.X, all TH add-ons and XPress.

My main purpose for xenforo is xenrio2. I have to be able to have a nice stream platform. Currently I'm completely using wordpress, and xenforo for the streams. I don't use xenforo for registration, or any other forum activities.

Will this allow me to keep my wordpress setup/theme and put xenrio (streams) inside of wordpress? I would like to keep my header, sidebar, widgets and footer if possible to make it appear to be uniform.

I don't want to change my wordpress theme. Is this product for me?

Will this allow me to keep my wordpress setup/theme and put xenrio (streams) inside of wordpress? I would like to keep my header, sidebar, widgets and footer if possible to make it appear to be uniform.

You won't be able to put a XenForo product into WP, this works the other way and has WordPress running "inside" XenForo's wrapper (a bit more to it than that, but that's the general sense)

You can use this without the style sync between XF and WordPress, really just depends on what you're trying to do exactly

How did i made a slide on the blog and how is it possible to feature posts/articles?

Not all categories are displayed in the navbar..
View attachment 179826
Also want to learn as soon as possible :) Try to figure out starting from yesterday, but not able to :)
Hi @Mike Creuzer - adding the featured tag does not show the slider for me? I have the grid, but no slider, despite trying featured and Featured.

Don't need to change anything else do I? Latest UI.X, all TH add-ons and XPress.

Ah, I realize what we didn't say (I had asked one of our devs to fix this prelaunch). I did not want the below step 1 to be a requirement.

1. Create a new page, call it Home, then set the page template in sidebar to the template Front Page.
2. Then go to Settings > Reading > Posts page and set it to the page you created
3. Then, go to any post, and add the Featured tag.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 6.49.03 PM.webpScreen Shot 2018-07-15 at 6.46.34 PM.webp

Yea, but actually laying it out, is a bit more cumbersome. Plus, the text field for HTML edits is TOO small. Why can't we expand it to see more of the code at once? Then it would be less irritating.
Thats just a XenForo thing, without a page builder I mean I think giving you an html editor is best case scenario imo. They give you a PHP callback as well. If you wanted to use WordPress pages instead of XenForo pages, you could use a layout manager like Divi or Visual Composer which is built specifically for page designing and WYSIWYG layouts.
Can I disable the XF-looking comments on blog posts and use wpDiscuz?
I'd prefer to keep the blog and forums separate except for SSO, is that possible?
Can I eliminate WordPress login completely and use only XF login? What about social login addons for WordPress, what happens there?
Are there many options like in Genesis themes? Blog layout as modal, infinite scroll, featured image customization, etc..
Yes, you can use third-party systems for comments, we specifically made sure that the thread/post synchronization when turned off would leave normal comments. The only question I would have is if you need to edit templates. I recommend using a child theme also, and I've made a note to get a child theme template setup. But yeah you should be able to use any comments system, Disqus, normal WP comments, etc no problem.

Regarding WordPress login and only using XenForo, yes this is a setting. Login and register currently use XenForo only, am asking devs about options for WP only registration (that auto-creates and links a XenForo account, but beside the point. Yes, there is an option specifically for XenForo logins only. And yes blog/forums can be kept separate you can choose not to sync threads/comments.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 6.57.58 PM.webp

I'm not actually 100% positive about social login tools for WordPress, but my hunch is that they would work, as they would eventually just authenticate with WP and thats all we care about.

With respect to comparing to Genesis, I am loosely familiar having used it for a few custom projects, but XPress in its current stage solved the major issue of bridging and them syncing. Next steps are templates and more features to make it more of a framework. As it stands, there are only about 10 customization options:

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.00.29 PM.webp
Wonderful extension!

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are different user groups supported?
  2. Would you be able to use WordPress plugins? Such as a simple directory plugin to show off some company listings?
  3. If so, would you be able to search the data?
Thanks!
1. Currently admins can be mapped to each other, but we have a feature request to do all usergroups and custom ones. https://github.com/Audentio/xpress-issues/issues/107
2. Yes, should work. Styling will be needed in some situations depending, but thats normal with third-party WordPress themes and just how WordPress is built.
3. Yes, we use WordPress search endpoints, so if it was searchable normally it'll be searchable with this product.
I'm trying to test XPress on a demo site but I'm getting this template error.
View attachment 179825

Why I'm getting this error for both XPress and Cover add-on? I created two tickets and I'm hoping you guys help me sort thing out asap.
This seems to be a bug in UI.X. We're actually trying to debug it and not sure yet. Something we'll do Monday and do a hot fix for UI.X.
View attachment 179836

I only see three ThemeHouse addons for importing...
I've made an issue for Importer documentation, and tagging @Lukas W. for posterity.
@Mike Creuzer @Jake B.

Where is the slider pulling the image from? I've added a featured image to a WP post and also added the tag "Featured" - But still no slider is appearing on the home page (blog)
Possibly an odd one. Is it possible to:
  1. Add a user to a given XF usergroup based on a WooCommerce purchase, and
  2. Only show specific WooCommerce products to logged-in users who belong to specific XF usergroups?
Cannot seem to fix this

View attachment 179894
I am thinking you can just save the templates, not sure why they are flagging there, might just be install order, happens sometimes. Not any issue I would worry about. If it happens next time you upgrade let me know.
Have a similar problem while installing TH Nodes addon to over UI.X2 theme. I opened a ticket and get the following solution from @Ian Hitt

———————————————

The issue is that it is customized in UI.X specifically (and intentionally) which is why it does not happen in the default theme. However, since the theme was installed first, It is showing that the child theme is customized, but edited more recently that the parent (which is the add-on.) XenForo foes not know how to resolved these issues because it can only merge from parent to child, not the other way around.

To correct it, you can simply copy the contents of the template, revert the template, and then paste/save the contents again. In XenForo 1 simply saving the template would tell XF to stop flagging it as outdated, but there is an issue with the current release that is preventing that from working properly at the moment.
Yes, this is just the way it is, XenForo flags when it thinks something is outdated. I've not wrapped my head around it as I've always just manually checked for merges. Since not everyone knows how to do that quickly, most times simply saving it is indeed OK, you're trusting that there are actually not merge errors, but if you're on latest everything you're trusting that we're up to date with at least that version.
I have installed my language files at Wordpress. When I change the XF language from English to Turkish, Wordpress site doesn't change. WP language can only be changed from "WP- Settings - General Setting".

I was expecting to change WP language by using XF language setting after reading this : Is it a bug or misunderstanding ?

• Leverages XenForo’s Phrase Management System For Internationalization
    Manage all languages with XenForo’s phrase system
Perhaps I'm wrong (tagging @Lukas W. again) but I believe we only use XenForo phrases, we do not use WordPress phrases at all. So that language pack would be useful for you only for the WordPress ACP.

My main purpose for xenforo is xenrio2. I have to be able to have a nice stream platform. Currently I'm completely using wordpress, and xenforo for the streams. I don't use xenforo for registration, or any other forum activities.

You do not need to use the theme that syncs with WordPress, you can keep using your theme. However, to the question of putting XenRio inside of WordPress, no. Other way around is what is possible, going this way is not something we could do or we would have done it this way. It is important to know that this product (for sake of visually seeing whats going on, its not exactly doing this:) puts WordPress "inside" of XenForo. Not the other way around. My guess would be then the product would not be for you then if you do not want bridging or syncing of users/content/theme.

Last edited:
Thats just a XenForo thing, without a page builder I mean I think giving you an html editor is best case scenario imo. They give you a PHP callback as well. If you wanted to use WordPress pages instead of XenForo pages, you could use a layout manager like Divi or Visual Composer which is built specifically for page designing and WYSIWYG layouts.
I've tried Divi in the past... It makes all sorts of shortcodes which I don't want if I remake it in WP.

I might just have to deal with the awfully small HTML textbox on the page..

I've tried Divi in the past... It makes all sorts of shortcodes which I don't want if I remake it in WP.

I might just have to deal with the awfully small HTML textbox on the page..
If you use Divi, make sure you use Divi builder. And yes it uses shortcodes (correctly, its the only way unless you use HTML) but it comes with stock components that you can re-use. Its the best builder I know of that actually has useful components.

If you use Divi, make sure you use Divi builder. And yes it uses shortcodes (correctly, its the only way unless you use HTML) but it comes with stock components that you can re-use. Its the best builder I know of that actually has useful components.
My license for it is probably a year out of date, so I'd be stuck on an older version. But I'd prefer not to have it use shortcodes, in case I change themes and it possibly messes things up. I have been fooling around with the Gutenberg editor, though.

Can you offer any statement for someone that is deciding between XPress and XenWord Pro?

Would your team be available to verify if a forum and its set-up (themes, add-ons, etc) are fully compatible? Would your team also be available to give any rough time estimates on how long it would take to create a seamless visual experience, to where the WordPress install looks like just another page on the forum? These questions are for boards using custom in-house themes and not UI.X or other themes. I have concerns with your potential method of theme synchronization from a technical point of view, as the add-on would likely need to be extended due to not directly supporting the said theme structure.

Last edited:
Hi @Mike Creuzer

You forgot one step in your post above also regarding the Slider. You also need to go into Wordpress - > Settings > Reading > Then set page you created (Home) as Static. Interesting, when you try to do this via the front end customizer, it states I do not have high enough permissions to do this - but back end works fine.

Once I did this, slider worked - but may want to add to the above for others who are unfamiliar with Wordpress.

Can you offer any statement for someone that is deciding between XPress and XenWord Pro?
I do not know @LPH all that well but from the few conversations we've had he seems like a committed, kind, and thoughtful developer. He's offered some opinions and thoughts on XPress and has also gone so far as to make the two systems work together. To be honest I've not actually compared feature for feature exactly, though I know that loosely these two systems do the same general thing: bridge XenForo and WordPress. Ours also adds a theme integration as the real inspiration for us building this was that the bridges we used on XenForo 1 were just never good enough, lacked common features, and required us to do a separate WordPress theme every time. So we built this because we do so many WordPress projects that bridge the two together, it just made sense to save us time and our clients money.

Developers here at XenForo offer variety, I would go with whatever developer you prefer and whichever product looks like it solves the product the way you want it solved.

Would your team be available to verify if a forum and its set-up (themes, add-ons, etc) are fully compatible? Would your team also be available to give any rough time estimates on how long it would take to create a seamless visual experience, to where the WordPress install looks like just another page on the forum? These questions are for boards using custom in-house themes and not UI.X or other themes. I have concerns with your potential method of theme synchronization from a technical point of view, as the add-on would likely need to be extended due to not directly supporting the said theme structure.
I should be able to loosely verify yes if a particular XenForo theme or third-party resource author's products should work with XPress (to my knowledge most should), if you want to post any questions happy to give me opinion on whether an add-on or theme will work. I do give honest opinions, and so if I step on anyone's toes happy to always stand corrected.

Sure, we do integrations, custom UX, development, and design for a living. You can see our WordPress work and our XenForo work as well. Can do a custom quote here. If you are looking at doing it yourself, we aim to release some videos and continuously improve documentation (plus the fine folks here in this thread have already been super helpful in any questions you might have!)

I'm not sure which method you are using, but our theme is not needed. If you have a custom WordPress theme and you want to keep it that way, by all means.

Hi @Mike Creuzer

You forgot one step in your post above also regarding the Slider. You also need to go into Wordpress - > Settings > Reading > Then set page you created (Home) as Static. Interesting, when you try to do this via the front end customizer, it states I do not have high enough permissions to do this - but back end works fine.

Once I did this, slider worked - but may want to add to the above for others who are unfamiliar with Wordpress.
You're right sorry about that got that post edited and will get documentation added asap.

Last edited:
With respect to comparing to Genesis, I am loosely familiar having used it for a few custom projects, but XPress in its current stage solved the major issue of bridging and them syncing. Next steps are templates and more features to make it more of a framework. As it stands, there are only about 10 customization options:
We are sure you will add more features that it will make the product better.
Great, get a slider at the end :)

@Mike Creuzer, a small BUG. I have 5 featured article. When I set Featured posts to 3, I can't see any SLIDER options at featured section ? Also it will be very nice, if you have a new option as "auto / manual Slider selection" for featured.

Screenshot_1.webp Screenshot_2.webp

Top Bottom