xfShowcase - For the fans of XenForo, by the fans of XenForo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

Another month, another creation... :)
As some of you may or may not know, for the last 2 solid months, Shelley and I have poured a ton of time, into a different site. We both "attempted" to promote it the best we could. Everywhere you looked, 25 posts to show your site, 50 posts to show your site... Worse part, on many of these, you aren't really interested in the site as a whole, you practically spam your way up to 20 just to get your site a spot to be seen. (You can only answer so many poll questions before it gets repetitive).​
<---Enter xfShowcase -->
Why the name? Well, a certain add-on was donated to to the site to start it off, with the developer knowing what I had planned. A nod of sorts to him, but also because of the fact it is your Xenforo Site Showcase.​
Mission? Our goal is pretty simple; to bring in and actively promote our XenForo based sites, mingle with other XF owners and get help or input from various fans.​
We will not require you to have any posts to enter your site into our Site Showcase. You can post, leave, that's fine. We have rules on what is allowed to be posted. We are not ones to judge what content you have, but know if you are caught submitting a site using nulled or pirated software, or host nulled and pirated software, your site will be removed and you will be banned.​
We will be using many of the add-ons you see here. We want everyone to have a relaxful place they can join, know at least a couple other people (from here obviously), and test out Post Ratings, Notifications, Showcase, TagiaChat Pro, Soft Responsive Theme, xFArcade... different things that they may not be able to make a decision on yet, but want a place to simply look at it in action.​
A few things we are doing:​
  • Currently, we are also offering a very easy way to "verify" your license. We know it is not foolproof by any stretch, but some license owners are happy to show they own a license.
  • There will not ever be Adsense, Adbright, or any other Ads. All of our "advertisements" will be from the xF family of sites. There hasn't been a decision on how many, or where, but they will not be intrusive, and will mesh with the site.
  • Our site will volunteer to test many modifications, but those will be our choosing. You will get input from several xF well-known members, so you know you will at least get some feedback.
  • We will be posting reviews of add-ons, themes, modifications, and graphics (A/T/M/G).
  • We hope to be able to generate enough activity and interest to do giveaways of A/T/M/G.
  • There will be interviews (not of the huge website owners) but of the A/T/M/G developers. Some of these talented individuals never get a chance to speak about anything, only to reply to why or if some other feature can be added.
  • Guides have started to be posted on some add-ons, and will continue to be tweaked, enhanced, etc. These will be free to copy to your site, to help your members as well.
  • We will be open to any and all suggestions, with the exception of the site goal. Everything else can be discussed, but we want a place for fans again.
As far as who registers/who doesn't.... We aren't going to stop anyone from registering. As far as the piracy deal, we aim to change the thought of a few that do pirate the software, and turn them into valid license holders from the support we will give and the friendliness of the community.

Due to the fact we cannot completely control who downloads what, only Add-Ons or Themes or Modifications posted are done so by the author. No one will be copy/pasting information from here, unless it is their own content.

If you notice, we didn't link to any of our pages, or what we have thus far. If you are interested in the site, feel free to stop by and join in. Chris Deeming and I are currently working on a few different ways to bring the fan aspect back to XenForo. We hope you enjoy what we have to offer.

On a side note, soon we will break down sites by categories. (Thanks for that added update Bobster :p)

Currently, sitting at 10, we aren't too worried about changing it up too much.

whats the actual purpose of the site? people can showcase their sites in this very thread(just like you have). People can download addons from this site, people who are customers can posts in certain threads and download attachments. What is the purpose of creating a new site just to segregate the audience from this site?

Are you providing anything that is different to what is here? Will there be anything exclusive to the site that will never be posted on here? I dont get it. Why should one visit your site, register again, to basically view a small subset of what is on this forum, with the addition of ads to other xf sites?

From looking at it, everything that is on your site, could be posted on here on this very forum could it not?

whats the actual purpose of the site? people can showcase their sites in this very thread(just like you have). People can download addons from this site, people who are customers can posts in certain threads and download attachments. What is the purpose of creating a new site just to segregate the audience from this site?

Are you providing anything that is different to what is here? Will there be anything exclusive to the site that will never be posted on here? I dont get it. Why should one visit your site, register again, to basically view a small subset of what is on your forum, with the addition of ads to other xf sites?

From looking at it, everything that is on your site, could be posted on here on this very forum could it not?
Good question set there.
Staying tuned for the answer :)

J.

whats the actual purpose of the site? people can showcase their sites in this very thread(just like you have).

Absolutely they can. No debating that. We are offering a different layout for that, as well as it being continually "rated". You can continually update the showcase of your site with images, stats, etc... without fear of getting in trouble for "bumping". Change your theme, cool... post the new pictures in the gallery for your domain.

People can download addons from this site, people who are customers can posts in certain threads and download attachments. What is the purpose of creating a new site just to segregate the audience from this site?

There is no segregation. We are only offering an alternative place for FANS of xenForo to be. Random chats in the shoutbox, different "non-business" atmosphere.

Are you providing anything that is different to what is here? Will there be anything exclusive to the site that will never be posted on here? I dont get it. Why should one visit your site, register again, to basically view a small subset of what is on your forum, with the addition of ads to other xf sites?

Yes, Bookmarks by Syndol (easier to keep up with info), TaigaChat Pro (for those that just need to chat, hang out, etc.) Guides to add-ons (that are not posted here), easier explanation to many issues that newcomers cannot figure out here, nor find in searches very easily. I don't think Xenforo allows you to have ads for other sites shown in the sidebar, or possibly in a small banner, or text placement. All of these plan to be integrated into the site. Enter a competition, get posted with links to your site or add-on:

link.webp

Or Sponsors:
spons.webp

That doesn't take away from the experience, but it still allows these developers a chance to be noticed, to get some of their add-ons out in the public eye. We have been opened for 4 days, and I have been asked numerous times already about what that Like System thing is that we have, or what ChatBox is that, etc. We are providing the experience of Xenforo add-ons in a place that is familiar (many members from here).

Sure, it can. We won't fight for the posts, are complain if they are posted here of course. We are certainly not fighting XenForo.com for its members, its addons, etc... We are simply offering an ALTERNATIVE place to go to discuss all about xF. Some topics here that are not allowed to be discussed, are able to be discussed there.

Last thing... for me, if one person buys an add-on from here at all, or purchases one single license from here because of xfShowcase, the site has done its job. We are not trying to compete with Xenforo, just compliment it. That is the concept of our site.

Good question set there.
Staying tuned for the answer :)

J.

I hope I have answered your questions.

I visited your site yesterday to join there but one thing stopped me
link-png.39458

Nothing offense but i see you have a forum link directing to Razor themes, so i backed out thought its a site promoted by them and not sure if i am allowed to join there! :rolleyes:

I visited your site yesterday to join there but one thing stopped me
link-png.39458

Nothing offense but i see you have a forum link directing to Razor themes, so i backed out thought its a site promoted by them and not sure if i am allowed to join there! :rolleyes:

No, not at all. Those three are actually just placements. Those will be for featured add-ons, themes, sites, etc... The sidebar is a donator block (called sponsor). As I have mentioned before, everyone is allowed to join. We are not stopping anyone from that.

No, not at all. Those three are actually just placements. Those will be for featured add-ons, themes, sites, etc... The sidebar is a donator block (called sponsor). As I have mentioned before, everyone is allowed to join. We are not stopping anyone from that.

Just wondering, since Razor was brought up, What did John add to be a sponsor like that considering your using Arty's skin? I do like the site a lot, you know that. But some of it just feels like there is favoritism in advertising going on.. Other then that, everything seems pretty good.

I am a somewhat against open releases though as it makes non-licensed users easier to get mods and themes, if your going to offer download releases, though still some flaws no matter how you try to verify, it should be limited to verified only members.

Just wondering, since Razor was brought up, What did John add to be a sponsor like that considering your using Arty's skin? I do like the site a lot, you know that. But some of it just feels like there is favoritism in advertising going on.. Other then that, everything seems pretty good.

I am a somewhat against open releases though as it makes non-licensed users easier to get mods and themes, if your going to offer download releases, though still some flaws no matter how you try to verify, it should be limited to verified only members.

As I was outlying what I wanted to do...... John was online, so I asked him if I could use his logo for a moment.

I have stated, many times, in multiple threads, we (xfShowcase) are not hosting nor distributing add-ons that are already created and posted here. If the developer want to release it there, they are more than welcomed to. If xfShowcase develops and add-on, then it will be released at either place.

There is no favortism shown in anything. Whoever was there at the time, I added because I was working on the site at the same time. Simple as that. Too much deep reading going into this already.

The three images above will be our winners, or features of the month. Simple. The sidebar block of SPONSORS are from developers who have donated to get the site up and running. And yes, they will be changing as well, depending on how the design finishes out. This site has been open 4 days. Relax. Nothing has been set in stone, or completed. We are still adding to the site.

We will have advertisement areas for xf Forum owners to display an ad to their site. Just like all other ads, just not using adsense, adbright or anything like that.

Sounds like an excellent site concept. Anything that supports XF is good.
I particularly like theshowcase for good XF addons in practice. That would on its own create an excellent XF site.

But surely it will damage XF if XF addons are available there but not here? That was the VB way to hold addons on a separate site. XF has always kept addons integrated to its main site.

One important effect is that the mods here are familiar with most of the addons. I rarely see anyone brushed off (as was standard on VB) with - can't give support because this is due to an addon. I think that is important to sustain.

Another effect is to split support. One will have to hunt two sites for an addon support issue.

I would respectfully suggest that you require all extra addons on your site to be listed on the Resource Manager here. If the developer preferred they could add note saying support is only provided on your site - that would actually draw interest to your site. Especially as your site can offer a demo.

But it doesnt seem logical in terms of supporting XF to set up a separate library of addons. That will drain involvement from here.

If you are not logged in, you do not see this:

View attachment 39462
The site is called xfShowcase - and one main purpose is to showcase sites running XF.
Why are you not then showing the actual showcase to all users, including guests?
Just curious...

J.

The reason I ask is because that showcase looks like sweetness. One would think you would be only to ready to showcase it (as it were) to everyone...

Reactions: AWS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom