xfShowcase - For the fans of XenForo, by the fans of XenForo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The site is called xfShowcase - and one main purpose is to showcase sites running XF.
Why are you not then showing the actual showcase to all users, including guests?
Just curious...

J.

The reason I ask is because that showcase looks like sweetness. One would think you would be only to ready to showcase it (as it were) to everyone...

I have been slow. Lots going on, I haven't gotten to switch the permission yet.

But surely it will damage XF if XF addons are available there but not here? That was the VB way to hold addons on a separate site. XF has always kept addons integrated to its main site.

Again, as I have stated before, they are not at xfShowcase. They are not there. Period. They are not at xfShowcase. A couple have been posted, but every single link is to this site. I have zero add-ons hosted there.

One important effect is that the mods here are familiar with most of the addons. I rarely see anyone brushed off (as was standard on VB) with - can't give support because this is due to an addon. I think that is important to sustain.

What does the mods being familiar have to do with it? I have installed just about every single one of them, or tested them in one way or another. If someone can't get the answer here at xenforo, what is wrong with asking at another place?

Another effect is to split support. One will have to hunt two sites for an addon support issue.

How, when we are not hosting any of the developers add-ons? If a developer chooses to post their resource, surely they have made the decision on how to handle support. How are we to determine or force them to support it at xfShowcase? Some don't even support the add-ons here.

I would respectfully suggest that you require all extra addons on your site to be listed on the Resource Manager here. If the developer preferred they could add note saying support is only provided on your site - that would actually draw interest to your site. Especially as your site can offer a demo.

I'm not able to FORCE anyone to post anything anywhere. If they are a developer, again, I am sure they have a reason as to why they post anything anywhere. That is their own choice.

As far as us showing what we run as a site, already ahead of the game, that was one of the first posts we have make, in our Information and News forum.
What Add-Ons Does xfShowcase Have Installed?

But it doesnt seem logical in terms of supporting XF to set up a separate library of addons. That will drain involvement from here.

I don't see it that way. We aren't competing. Complimenting. I've already reached what I wanted the site to help with ---> Add-Ons and licenses being bought from here. A member here and at xfShowcase decided on purchasing an add-on directly because of our site. We have had multiple people ask us about our chat box, because they can test it out, feel comfortable doing so and still have a decent time. We have had a few users ask about Post Ratings, members both here and at xfShowcase, but because they can see the flexibility of the add-on, as well as see it in action, it has helped with their decision making.

I just don't understand where anyone is getting we are wanting add-ons posted at xfShowcase..... That is not the goal. It is a FANSITE. We will review themes, add-ons, modifications, etc. The atmosphere here is business like, which it should be. At xfShowcase, a relaxed area. We obviously don't have all the answers, and for that, this site is obviously the home to all answers that are XF. We hope to get xenforo site owners name out as much as possible, if they choose to do so.

If you have any suggestions or critiques about the look or layout of the site, or any suggestions, feel free.

And with that, I am done being on the answer block. I am not attempting to defend a site made out of being a fan to the XF Software, the XF Theme Makers, the XF Add-On Developers, the XF Graphics Contributors or the XF Modification / Edit Submitters any longer.

if you really want to help fellow xenforo forums, why are the forum links on your site set to "nofollow"?

Also not sure if you were serious, but you mentioned that ppl can bump their own sites as much as they want?

if you really want to help fellow xenforo forums, why are the forum links on your site set to "nofollow"?

Also not sure if you were serious, but you mentioned that ppl can bump their own sites as much as they want?

Today is day 5 I have had this opened. I haven't gotten around to everything. The bump part is a slight joke, considering in the Showcase you can't bump it. it is an add on. There really is no thread for it.

"nofollow" is the default behaviour in XenForo for non admins. Check out the link below.

http://www.google.co.uk

You should see that as I'm not a staff user here, the link is "nofollow". Check out similar links posted by Jake, Slavik, K/A/M and you will see they are not "nofollow".

It requires an add-on to change it which I am currently in the process of creating (it's an update to an existing add-on that didn't work great).

yeah i know it is. so all sites showcased on the sites will have a follow link after you install the addon on there?
I've not discussed it with stewart1champ yet, but, in my mind that's what we should aim for.

To give demo of big-addons which normally are not provided by the author = (y)

I have had to go after someone's signature to find out "what/how" of an add-on from their sites. This could be of great help in that department. Also it'd be nice to keep a track of how people are modding the add-on to show the possibility (potential) of that add-on. Showcase the many facets of the add-on in one page.

I'm very sorry that questions are causing irritation. I do understand that because when you've been slogging away and short of sleep it's hard to receive a possible criticism on the wonderful thing created.

Also there is a big time gap between creators and new visitors. Creators are already familiar with the concept over some time so it starts to seem surprising it's not obvious. That can feel very irritating :(
But new visitors are grappling with these new ideas and have weeks or months of catching up to do.

Please do have patience with us while we plod after you! The more pioneering and exciting it is what you are doing the more this gap of comprehension is there. So plod questions are in their own way a compliment on your innovation.

we (xfShowcase) are not hosting nor distributing add-ons that are already created and posted here. If the developer want to release it there, they are more than welcomed to. If xfShowcase develops and add-on, then it will be released at either place..

I think this is where the mischief arose about hosting addons. It does sound like the site intends to host its own collection of addons. It doesn't sound like the site is only going to review and support the addon community here as posted to the Resource Manager.

Actually this kind of split is inevitable at some point. I could see a stage happening where any number of XF sites develop, and/or host addons. That would merely reflect a rich and diverse XF multisite culture.
But right now when XF is still vulnerable it isn't agood time to make split however creative.

It does sound like the site intends to host its own collection of addons. It doesn't sound like the site is only going to review and support the addon community here as posted to the Resource Manager.

Where has that been said, or even possibly communicated?

But right now when XF is still vulnerable it isn't agood time to make split however creative.

I'm confused. What split?

I think it's important that you get a foothold now that you started. Establishing the site will only see it grow from strength to strength if the continued content continues that's being posted. Keep up the excellent work because there are plenty of fine contributors already so carry on at the rate your going and it'll flourish.

I don't see any split personally.

I think this fan site is a great opportunity for members to try out different add-ons, to show off their sites, and to have contests in order to boost moral of all those who have put in many hours of hard work into their sites, add-ons, resources, and tutorials.
Yes, all this could potentially be done here but since the site owners are mostly AWOL and seem happy with where/how things are presently, I see xfShowcase as filling this obvious gap. Congrats on a great idea.

A
we (xfShowcase) are not hosting nor distributing add-ons that are already created and posted here. If the developer want to release it there, they are more than welcomed to. If xfShowcase develops and add-on, then it will be released at either place.

Link to this post:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...oro-by-the-fans-of-xenforo.43604/#post-469013

If some addons are being "released in either place" or if "the developer want to release it there," that creates asplit source for addons. Which is more than the few hosted elsewhere by a dev going off in a drama because yours is not just a single developer.

Two big sources for addons willl be divisive. Not so bad later when XF gets zoom ing again but unwelcome now.

Having to duplicate support - notices of changes for example is undesirable for devs.
Having two support threads is undesirable for both dev and user. It's already a lot to check some longer support threads for users.

You could get round this by adding a field on your Showcase for them to enter the RM URL on here.On the RM htey give the link to your site stating that is their support area (if preferred).

I think this fan site is a great opportunity for members to try out different add-ons, to show off their sites, and to have contests in order to boost moral of all those who have put in many hours of hard work into their sites, add-ons, resources, and tutorials.
Yes, all this could potentially be done here but since the site owners are mostly AWOL and seem happy with where/how things are presently, I see xfShowcase as filling this obvious gap. Congrats on a great idea.

Absolutely agree. It's a great site concept.

Link to this post:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...oro-by-the-fans-of-xenforo.43604/#post-469013

If some addons are being "released in either place" or if "the developer want to release it there," that creates asplit source for addons. Which is more than the few hosted elsewhere by a dev going off in a drama because yours is not just a single developer.

Two big sources for addons willl be divisive. Not so bad later when XF gets zoom ing again but unwelcome now.

Having to duplicate support - notices of changes for example is undesirable for devs.
Having two support threads is undesirable for both dev and user. It's already a lot to check some longer support threads for users.

You could get round this by adding a field on your Showcase for them to enter the RM URL on here.On the RM htey give the link to your site stating that is their support area (if preferred).

1. The Showcase isn't showing off add-ons, so there will be no spot for a link to the Resource Manager. It is for sites, end of discussion for the time being.
2. We are simply not going to tell a developer where they should post their work. I am sure they are all of conscience mind, and realize the main viewers of their add-ons will be located here (xenforo.com). If they want to post it at our site, we welcome it. We are not turning it down. However, if you had looked into the forums, the "resources" that have been posted, are linked here, or already here. We are not controlling what the owner of an add on wants to do. If they want to release it all on their site, that is completely fine with us. We are not asking to host, to support, or to split anything with any site.
3. As far as duplicating support, again, that is on the developer of the add on. I have seen MANY here post the resource, and then link to their own personal site as the only place offering support. So... what is the big difference?

If I finally create an addon (xfShowcase, sole owner... again, ME), or whatever, isn't it my choice where I post it ultimately? Or a theme?

You continually miss the entire POINT of the site.

Best summed up right here:

Either way, appreciate your questions. Regardless of what you post, you are not going to change my outlook or my goals for that site, or how it will be operated..... just as no matter what I post, you will continually skip through and pull out bits and pieces of info that you choose to, to attempt to turn it into something else.

I appreciate the time you have taken to view the site.

Link to this post:

Morgain,

With all due respect, please let the developers worry about the developers. A lot of the things that you mention are undesirable for the devs will be entirely solved by the devs themselves. I am not offering ANY of my add-ons for download at XFShowcase, nor am I supporting them there. I will copy and paste the add-on details from the RM to the XFShowcase site but you will have to come here for support or to download them. So that is my solution to those things you say are undesirable.

Also, as much as I feel this site will be a success, anyone choosing not to display and sell/provide their add-ons here at XF.com is frankly crazy. XenForo.com will always be the central point for new visitors, and therefore where a lot of our new customers and/or downloaders will come from.

I fully support fan based communities. Everything seems good. One idea is that there should be some sort of exclusive resources, nothing major but even so simple template edits and guides will surely give incentives to join. It will also mean less pressure on these forums for support.

Thank you for the clarification. The excerpt I posted in as a quote was a bit ambiguous so I felt that it needed clearing up. If for no other reason than it might have put someone off what is a great initiative.

I know that devs operate on their own sites - I belong to several.
But that is still making the RM here the coordination hub.
As you say Chris a sensible dev would post up here but not everyone is totally sensible especially if inexperienced so best not encourage a foolish move. Long decades in admin has taught me humans are like water, they trickle into any opening ... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom